Sandy Springs, Buckhead, Midtown/Downtown Atlanta

Source: https://urbanize.city/atlanta/post/h...market-america

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 6:53 PM

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 4:33 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 4:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ cool!

I don't know Dallas geography well, what's the clump of highrises on the extreme right if the image? Is it possibly ft. Worth?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ cool!

I don't know Dallas geography well, what's the clump of highrises on the extreme right if the image? Is it possibly ft. Worth?
It looks to be from the SE side of town, those are probably the clusters going up the to the north along the 75 corridor, DNT and I-35. Those clusters on continue all the way to Frisco and there's probably more that are'nt visible in that image.
Fort Worth is probably 40 miles away from where this was shot at and probably would not be visible at all unless you had a ton of altitude and a big lens.

On that note, here's Fort Worth with Dallas behind.

https://twitter.com/mattlantz

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
Sandy Springs, Buckhead, Midtown/Downtown Atlanta

Source: https://urbanize.city/atlanta/post/h...market-america
That particular perspective really emphasizes how dense the Atlanta skyline is.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 4:04 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Evanston / Waukegan?

Hyde Park / Indiana:

Indiana:

Indiana / possibly Michigan?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 4:50 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
I was checking out more on this guy's page and this one is from Michigan. He says 56 miles away. You can only see the supertalls.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 7:38 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
I was looking this up on Google Earth trying to pinpoint that area where the photo was taken from. I used the larger photo to see it, and there's a storage business there called Ellwood's U-Store It. It's located at 2525 Beltline Road in Balch Springs, Texas, at least, that's what they have listed on their ad on Google, but the map shows it as being inside Mesquite, Texas.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/25...!4d-96.6029123

As the crow flies, that area is 12 miles from the center of downtown Dallas and 42 miles from the center of downtown Fort Worth. The line of sight would actually place Fort Worth to the south (left) of Dallas from this perspective.

It's a bit slow to come into view with the desktop version of Google Earth, but if you use the browser version in the link I posted above, you can roll your mouse wheel out a bit and actually see Fort Worth on the horizon. It's definitely it because you can scroll over to Fort Worth right where the skyline had appeared on the horizon.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 5:05 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Is this Michigan City? (from the Pru deck, so not that high up).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 5:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yep that's the cooling tower of MC's big power plant right on the lake.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7236.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 2:04 PM

Beacon Mtn Hike by David W, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 3:57 PM

I'm still confused why some believe the NY area is generally flat.

The entire region is hilly except for the coastal plains right on the Jersey shore and the south shore of LI. Even the coastal areas are hilly on the LI Sound. Really the defining characteristics of the region are hills and rocky outcroppings.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

The entire region is hilly except for the coastal plains right on the Jersey shore and the south shore of LI. Even the coastal areas are hilly on the LI Sound. Really the defining characteristics of the region are hills and rocky outcroppings.
True. Pres. Teddy Roosevelt had a house at Sagamore Hill on Oyster Bay on the north shore of LI, and it is a hill. I think the Long Island hills are glacial morraines mostly. But the hills to the north and west of NYC are honest to goodness hills and low mountains, foothills of the Appalachians.

Same thing about Washington DC. A lot of people think its flat. And the tidal areas are. But all around the city, especially to the north and west are hills and low mountains. Capitol "Hill" is low, but the one a few miles north where they had the soldier's home during the Civil War is a real hill. Pres. Lincoln and family used to spend some of the summer there because it was a bit cooler than the city. Camp David maybe 20-30 miles northwest is on a low mountain, Catoctin, a genuine ridge of the Appalachians.

And the sunset picture of Chicago above could make a poster. Gorgeous.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 24, 2021 at 4:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 4:38 PM

Quote:

Because most people (Americans in this context because they are who I know) know very little about geography in general.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Because most people (Americans in this context because they are who I know) know very little about geography in general.
Very true. It isn't even taught in most schools anymore. Most know about their corner of the world and have pre-conceived notions about what the rest looks like.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 6:41 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I was looking this up on Google Earth trying to pinpoint that area where the photo was taken from. I used the larger photo to see it, and there's a storage business there called Ellwood's U-Store It. It's located at 2525 Beltline Road in Balch Springs, Texas, at least, that's what they have listed on their ad on Google, but the map shows it as being inside Mesquite, Texas.
My sister's family moved into a new house in Forney and their subdivision is next to Lake Ray Hubbard.

Right now at the end of their street you can see the full downtown skyline across the water. Unfortunately the developer didn't provision a park or green space in that location and instead there are already foundations poured for houses there. So in the next few months the view will disappear. But yeah it's really not that surprising to get a skyline view that far out. In Rockwall there is a substantial ridge on the eastern short of the lake with a 200' or so elevation change that you experience driving on I-30. You can definitely see DT Dallas, as well the stray high rise or two in Garland, the CityLine development in Richardson, etc. There's an outdoor mall thing with mostly restaurants that fronts the lake there, with some mid-rise hotels attached to it that seem to capitalize on the vista there.

What I'm curious about is if there's anywhere in the metroplex that's ***not inside of or on top of a a building(or six flags ride, or football stadium, or airport terminal)** where you can stand and look west to see Fort Worth and east to Dallas at the same time. It should be possible since the midpoint would only be about 15 miles away from either city. Problem is the trinity and the surrounding area is a meandering low spot of elevation that has more than the usual amount of trees.

Last edited by llamaorama; Oct 24, 2021 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:

Grand Central to Yorkville/East Harlem alone is a bit of a hike. You can have a nice, steady walk downtown, but a walk uptown in Manhattan is to be avoided if you're not looking for a workout. Uphill all the way.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 10:21 AM

Downtown San Antonio from about 20 miles out

dtsa by alexdskates210, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:53 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
My sister's family moved into a new house in Forney and their subdivision is next to Lake Ray Hubbard.

Right now at the end of their street you can see the full downtown skyline across the water. Unfortunately the developer didn't provision a park or green space in that location and instead there are already foundations poured for houses there. So in the next few months the view will disappear. But yeah it's really not that surprising to get a skyline view that far out. In Rockwall there is a substantial ridge on the eastern short of the lake with a 200' or so elevation change that you experience driving on I-30. You can definitely see DT Dallas, as well the stray high rise or two in Garland, the CityLine development in Richardson, etc. There's an outdoor mall thing with mostly restaurants that fronts the lake there, with some mid-rise hotels attached to it that seem to capitalize on the vista there.

What I'm curious about is if there's anywhere in the metroplex that's ***not inside of or on top of a a building(or six flags ride, or football stadium, or airport terminal)** where you can stand and look west to see Fort Worth and east to Dallas at the same time. It should be possible since the midpoint would only be about 15 miles away from either city. Problem is the trinity and the surrounding area is a meandering low spot of elevation that has more than the usual amount of trees.
I'm not sure about from within the City of Fort Worth, but there is at least one spot where you can see both Dallas and Fort Worth.

https://www.fortwortharchitecture.co...showtopic=3770

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions