HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 3:56 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Not anymore!!! The Lehigh Valley was taken out of the NYC CSA and still maintains it's own MSA. It's a blessing for PA and hopefully it can be absorbed into the Philadelphia CSA, where it really belongs.

I agree on that opinion. However I still believe that the MFL is pretty outdated, considering that it's a two track line and the BSL is four track. It should've been four track but the city planners didn't have to foresight to build a system that could use similar cars like Chicago and DC. In other words, SEPTA's system is one big clusterfuck.
You would think all the damage SEPTA has caused to Philly's Train lines and other services, that they would have been resolved and something new would have been created.

When they let the line by Chinatown get so bad the bridge was literally moving with trains would go on it & never fixed it that should have been the last straw

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 5:26 PM

Is there any update on the bus network design at all?

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 6:36 PM

Just Give Me a Box of Crayons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
Is there any update on the bus network design at all?
SEPTA posted a Manager, Planning Programs position at the end of February that included the consolidated bus network redesign in its responsibilities and left it open for a month. Given that they probably haven't been hiring new personnel, except perhaps for special cases, as present circumstances would make interviews, background checks, medical examinations and employee orientation awkward, it probably is far from being filled.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 3:28 AM

So just a quick question (Apologize for the bump with no real info)
I saw that phoenixville had come up with something for new septa rail out their. What is is? Diesel electric. Also are there any other septa projects in the works, I know of KOP rail, NAvy yard broad street line expansion and the phoeixville line. I have heard rumours of other rail expansions but am not sure where, along with trolley, and subway expansions. Does anyone have any info or anything in general regarding these?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 5:23 PM

I've heard:

Navy Yard expansion
Phoenixville expansion
West Chester expansion
KOP expansion

That was pre-COVID though. SEPTA has taken a HUGE hit, and I'd be surprised to see any legit expansions out of SEPTA in the next ~5 years without serious help from the state or federal government - neither of which will likely be happening anytime soon either.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 6:06 PM

So, Philadelphia transit might be sort of doomed... also civilization, incidentally

The most recent capital budget lists four projects of significance, which include extending the Norristown High Speed Line to King of Prussia, Trolley Modernization, Rail Capacity Improvements and Comprehensive Bus Network Redesign. "Rail Capacity Improvements," thus far is no more specific than, " exploring options to enhance capacity on its Market-Frankford Line (MFL) and Regional Rail network," and a plea for money to buy replacements for the Silverliner IV cars. At least somebody also seems to want to restore regional rail service to Coatesville.

There are interests in Phoenixville promoting some kind of regional rail service to their town, but SEPTA doesn't seem to be interested.

The current iteration of a proposed extension of the Broad Street Line to the Navy Yard is still listed as a, "long-range planning effort," in the FY 2020 - 2021 capital budget, but I suspect that it has been quietly killed. The website for the project seems to have vanished at some point since last year and there hasn't been much talk about it. When it was available, the feasibility study indicated that it would cost almost a billion dollars per mile for pretty pitiful ridership, which suggests that it was either a lousy project or that it was sandbagged, although it could also have been a lousy project that was sandbagged for good measure.

All, or maybe just most, has been quiet on the West Chester [regional rail extension] front. There was some enthusiastic talk reported in 2018, but I don't think that much has happened since, at least not much in public.

SEPTA might well spend the next few years in a state of perpetual fiscal crisis. Severely diminished Pennsylvania Turnpike traffic has and possible will seriously impair its ability to issue debt, which is needs to make its $ 450 million transfer to the Public Transportation Trust fund, which is what the Commonwealth funds SEPTA's capital budget from. Whatever comes of that, § 1506(b) and § 1506(c) of Title 74 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes prescribes that those transfers will be mostly replaced by sales tax revenue from sales of vehicles, which means it will be paid general fund revenues, rather than being 'off the books' by paying from Pennsylvania Turnpike debt, so there's certain to be a fraught political fight over it.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 11:29 PM

Sorry for the off topic question, but I was wondering how SEPTA counts its subway station ridership. When they say that a station has a specific number of passengers using it each day, are they only counting people boarding trains there or are they also counting people leaving the stations? For example, in the 2020 annual service plan, they state that Berks has 2,653 passengers daily. Is this just the number of people entering the station or both?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 6:41 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthayre View Post
The most recent capital budget lists four projects of significance, which include extending the Norristown High Speed Line to King of Prussia, Trolley Modernization, Rail Capacity Improvements and Comprehensive Bus Network Redesign. "Rail Capacity Improvements," thus far is no more specific than, " exploring options to enhance capacity on its Market-Frankford Line (MFL) and Regional Rail network," and a plea for money to buy replacements for the Silverliner IV cars. At least somebody also seems to want to restore regional rail service to Coatesville.

There are interests in Phoenixville promoting some kind of regional rail service to their town, but SEPTA doesn't seem to be interested.

The current iteration of a proposed extension of the Broad Street Line to the Navy Yard is still listed as a, "long-range planning effort," in the FY 2020 - 2021 capital budget, but I suspect that it has been quietly killed. The website for the project seems to have vanished at some point since last year and there hasn't been much talk about it. When it was available, the feasibility study indicated that it would cost almost a billion dollars per mile for pretty pitiful ridership, which suggests that it was either a lousy project or that it was sandbagged, although it could also have been a lousy project that was sandbagged for good measure.

All, or maybe just most, has been quiet on the West Chester [regional rail extension] front. There was some enthusiastic talk reported in 2018, but I don't think that much has happened since, at least not much in public.

SEPTA might well spend the next few years in a state of perpetual fiscal crisis. Severely diminished Pennsylvania Turnpike traffic has and possible will seriously impair its ability to issue debt, which is needs to make its $ 450 million transfer to the Public Transportation Trust fund, which is what the Commonwealth funds SEPTA's capital budget from. Whatever comes of that, § 1506(b) and § 1506(c) of Title 74 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes prescribes that those transfers will be mostly replaced by sales tax revenue from sales of vehicles, which means it will be paid general fund revenues, rather than being 'off the books' by paying from Pennsylvania Turnpike debt, so there's certain to be a fraught political fight over it.
It took SEPTA four years..almost 5...the rebuild the Exton train station. They started building the new Paoli station after it and they got that done before they finally finished the Exton rebuild. I never saw anything done so maddeningly slow in my life for what could have been done in 2 years. But the end result is nice and we now have an indoor waiting room (but still no ticket office)with rest rooms.

So...I would not expect SEPTA to be doing anything now with revenues for everyone in the tank.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 6:31 PM
Me?!?

SEPTA mailed a “Community Notice” about new Conshohocken train station

https://morethanthecurve.com/septa-m...train-station/

And here's the actual notice:

https://storage.googleapis.com/burbc...uly-1-20-1.pdf

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 11:57 AM

Regional Rail Extension to Wawa

Updated pictures of the track work and station construction on the extension of the Media-Elwyn line. This new park-and-ride station will attract many riders from the growing areas of Western Delaware County. Progress has been slow, but they are getting there . . .

https://phillyyimby.com/2020/09/cons...nsylvania.html

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 12:57 PM

"It is possible that the Wawa Station could be the next step in the return of regional rail to West Chester. Plans could move forward as soon as 2035."

Elon Musk will have sent people to Mars by then.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
yeah, but rocket science is so much easier than extending rail a few miles.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 1:18 PM
Show me the blueprints

My bathroom desperately needs to be remodeled. That's why I'm tentatively scheduling it for summer 2045.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 4:41 PM
Me?!?

SEPTA Might Slash Extension of Norristown High Speed Line to King of Prussia
https://montco.today/2020/09/septa-m...ng-of-prussia/

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
"It is possible that the Wawa Station could be the next step in the return of regional rail to West Chester. Plans could move forward as soon as 2035."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
yeah, but rocket science is so much easier than extending rail a few miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
My bathroom desperately needs to be remodeled. That's why I'm tentatively scheduling it for summer 2045.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:02 PM
Me?!?

A customized SEPTA Key is coming for Philadelphia students, adding to the card system’s inflating cost
https://www.inquirer.com/transportat...outputType=amp

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
SEPTA Might Slash Extension of Norristown High Speed Line to King of Prussia
https://montco.today/2020/09/septa-m...ng-of-prussia/
Not in the least bit surprised. Would imagine this would just be delayed though. King of Prussia is increasingly becoming one of the densest areas of the Philly Metro area. It desperately needs rail transit.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Not in the least bit surprised. Would imagine this would just be delayed though. King of Prussia is increasingly becoming one of the densest areas of the Philly Metro area. It desperately needs rail transit.
I'm curious would the NHSL be enough for KOP? Why wasn't the regional rail selected to go to the KOP mall or both?

I know cost is the major factor. Though I would have thought having regional rail directly connecting to KOP would be a massive boost to the system.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
I'm curious would the NHSL be enough for KOP? Why wasn't the regional rail selected to go to the KOP mall or both?

I know cost is the major factor. Though I would have thought having regional rail directly connecting to KOP would be a massive boost to the system.
As a former Philly resident, there are 2 big reasons that NHSL > Regional Rail for KoP:

1) Transit equity. The NHSL is usable with a Transpass and connects to the MFL @ 69th St. In short, both from a fiscal and logistical point of view, it's much more accessible to the low-income populations of Philadelphia than an extension of Regional Rail

2) Frequency. If the goal is to begin to create a genuine urban hub around KoP, then hourly RR service isn't going to cut it. NHSL is every 30 mins at the worst which can be naturally boosted to say 15 mins all day every day with minimal investment.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 2:21 AM

$5.7M land deal moves SEPTA’s trolley modernization project forward

Quote:
SEPTA’s plan to bring its trolleys into the modern age has taken a small but significant step forward.

The authority’s board last week approved a $5.7 million deal to secure about 28 acres in Southwest Philadelphia to be used for the storage, maintenance, and operations of trolleys, including a future fleet of longer, ADA-accessible vehicles outlined in its trolley modernization program. The decision to move on the plot was about a decade in the making, had a nod from the city, and was necessary now to protect the former industrial site from development, said Bob Lund, SEPTA deputy general manager.

Board approval to acquire the land at 6901 Elmwood Ave. from its owner, Property Exchange Agent LLC, is part of the project’s early planning stages. Next steps depends upon future funding.

“I think the big takeaway is that this just shows SEPTA’s commitment to trolley modernization and future economic vitality of the region," Lund said.

The trolley modernization program, replacing decades-old trolleys with modern light rail vehicles, is expected to cost about $1.6 billion. SEPTA committed nearly $9.4 million in its $640 million capital budget to continue headway on trolley modernization, as well as on the extension of the Norristown High Speed Line into King of Prussia.
Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/transportat...3a7BCUM5-1IScc

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 2:22 AM

SEPTA’s new Wissahickon bus station promises better connections. But it could harm a beloved Philly landscape

Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/transportat...-20201027.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation