HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
110 North Wacker Drive Film
https://vimeo.com/244060107
That video explains a lot. Some floors are very tall verticality.

My one concern if this was one of the best locations for an office building than why did not they push this past 1000 ft. 800 feet seems to be the limit around here for a long while for an office building. Its not like they did not have the foundation in place to do so. It must be economic, but the Sears Tower was built much larger by a big factor. It may have been tough to fill at the time but its close to full unless United Airlines pulls out but even if they do that space will fill back out in time.

"So cautious we are now. “Do or do not. There is no try.” "So short term vision we have.... No can't Must " “You must unlearn what you have learned.

Master Yoda.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:20 AM

If I'm not mistaken BOA only leased 500k sqft of this tower which still leaves ~850k sqft left to lease. I agree with you, they should have swung a bit more for the fences if they are developing off of the "build it and they will come" principle already.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
If I'm not mistaken BOA only leased 500k sqft of this tower which still leaves ~850k sqft left to lease. I agree with you, they should have swung a bit more for the fences if they are developing off of the "build it and they will come" principle already.
Only?

500K sqft is huge....

500K is a lot of space
to start the building on spec alone 200 feet taller on spec to 2 Million sq feet if they had the balls to do it IMO. 500 K sq foot lease can start any building greater than 1.3 million sq feet without major loans or master bankers from across the world. Have we lost our nerve?

I think everyone is so freaked out about the great crash of 2007-08 it seems like there is no long term vison anymore. The Chinese have no problem looking long term. We look at the quarters and look at past failures like the Chicago Spire as an example to keep your head low enough not to get cut off.

This mentality will not benefit the USA or business or buildings in general until the next cycle when we can finally think big again.

In the mean time get used to 800 footers until the recovery from the next recession that is supposedly going to be worse than the great depression.

I mean come on. I lived through every recession since 1970. I think we can go a bit more less cautious here if this

"is the best spot in the entire city for an office tower."

I quoted the vemo video. Really the best possible location in the entire city of all time and they put up a 1.3 M sq ft building that is already half committed.

Im losing faith in visionary spirit. Trust me I truly have no fault for this particular building but when I hear that South Wolf Point that would be half full by Salesforce and down grades 300 feet to 800 feet.

Man where have are balls gone?

Wolf point south should have been a statement tower. We could be stuck with like 10 eight hundred feet buildings with none sticking out.

Its getting lame. And Trust me I know every other city in the USA would love to have these sans NYC but still, losing supertall to WPS to an 800 would be a massive retreat esp when half of it would be filled by Salesforce.

I can't explain these last few years other than the word extremally "cautious".

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:48 AM

Once again I agree with everything you said.

Also when I said "only" 500ksqft I was referencing in relation to the overall size of the tower/less than half of available sq footage. I am not obtuse to the fact that 500ksqft is a very sizable commitment.

I agree that it is caution based on the most recent recession and not wanting to over extend for fear of possible future recessions.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:55 AM
Chicago

September 25, 2018

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
September 25, 2018
Awesome shot. This is gonna rise fast!

I always loved the color of the glass at 155 North Wacker.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:44 PM
BANNED

Thanks for posting the video, Solar.

We're lucky to have this building under construction, but all I want is Goettsch to change the exposed columns at street level and the river from round to square, and she'd be a 9/10. There's no round or curved edges elsewhere on the building so to me, round columns make no sense, besides sight lines. Then again, I'm no Architect; just a contractor.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 11:33 PM
Chicago

September 26, 2018

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 11:49 PM

Awesome shots! I should stroll over by this one during a lunch break one of these days

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 4:39 PM

From my 3d Model of Chicago.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 4:50 PM

Wow-incredible! There will be a literal skyscraper wall blocking the WL's downtown views via River Point, Riverside, 110N Wacker, and WPS in a few years.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
What is the extra 300,000sqft?
That's gross vs net area, so that 300k sf represents all the things you can't charge tenants for like vertical circulation, structure in the core, etc.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post

Really the best possible location in the entire city of all time and they put up a 1.3 M sq ft building that is already half committed.
The PD (zoning) limits the total amount of square footage (floor area ratio, FAR). This building is already over the FAR allowed in the PD, so they had to cut a large check to the city for the extra area. Making the building even larger than it already is likely doesn't make financial sense.

The sites being developed in the city now are the difficult ones that were passed over in previous development cycles because there's a premium associated with developing them. The easy sites are all gone. All that's left is the long and thin, trapezoidal, those with existing foundations that need to be worked around, etc. There's a premium to developing on these. As density and rents go up the finance of developing these begins to make sense. Hence buildings like this and 150 N Riverside.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:34 PM

the civic opera building is the parking podium of it's day...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_steve View Post
The barge is removed by Jan 2019. Cranes go up in Jan 2019 and come down in Jan 2020.
Some pieces of the basket are onsite, north east corner of the site. Does anyone know what internal tower is being used?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
just like every other major chicago office tower built over the past 25 years.

the last all concrete office tower built in chicago was 311 s wacker in 1990 (tallest all concrete skyscraper in the world at the time), if memory serves.
Correct. The tallest concrete office building in Chicago is Two Prudential Plaza which is 995' tall.

Current tallest concrete office building is in Al Hamra Tower in Kuwait City.

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...lest100-office

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
145 S. Wells is looking like its gonna be all concrete as well

It is. Another MOCERI + ROSZAK developement. Loft Style Office Building.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abuilder0430 View Post
Some pieces of the basket are onsite, north east corner of the site. Does anyone know what internal tower is being used?
Favco 760D still seems to be the goto for steel erection. But I think they've also been putting electric luffers on those bottom climbing setups, I think they did @ 3WTC with a Wolff 700B on top of Favco tower sections/climbing frame

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
the civic opera building is the parking podium of it's day...
That might be true on the River side, but it's got one of the best sidewalks in all of America, if not the world.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 12:21 AM
Chicago

September 28, 2018

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive