HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 2:28 AM
Closed account

I don't think the Wiggins criticism is justified. He didn't cause all the hype surrounding him when he was in high school and college. He didn't co trol that narrative - the scouts and media outlets did. He just played. It's not his fault he was drafted number 1 overall.

Was he worth the pick? No
Is he the best player on a championship team? No
But does that make him a bad player? No, it doesn't he's still a really good player, just not at that level.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 9:58 PM

One of these 2 kids with their backs to the camera is my son. The other was the 7th pick in the NBA draft last night. 2011 London Minor Football Tyke Champions. My son is the slightly taller of the 2 lol.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 10:07 PM
Closed account

^^ nice!

4 Canadians were drafted this year, I love it!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 10:36 PM

I had never heard of Shaedon Sharpe due to the fact that he didn't play college ball. Though I'm surprised there wasn't more news when he officially became the no. 1 HS recruit in his class (after he reclassified). He joined Kentucky in January but didn't play a game. He basically hasn't played regular games against tough competition but now he's a lottery pick. It feels like the NBA is the leader in this. Taking guys so high in the draft who have done very little so far due to high upside potential.

The fact that it wasn't well known he was the no. 1 HS recruit is a good thing. It was a big deal when Wiggins was. And I think RJ was for a while and there was some talk about it. But it's a good thing now that it's not that big of a deal. It's becoming more and more common.

Cleveland took two Canadians #1 in back to back years. And two years before that they took Kyrie #1, who was a sure thing. Though he only played a total of 12 college games for Duke due to injury.

Wiggins was consensus #1 so no surprise there. But Anthony Bennett at #1, albeit in a weak class, takes the cake. He had no business going #1 as per analysts but they took the chance given the alternatives and his upside. Though he did have a very one and done season in collge. Greek Freak, who went #15, would have been the best choice but the Cavs still won a championship soon after when LeBron returned.

Let's hope Sharpe turns into something nice in the NBA and also join up with another SWO kid, Jamal Murray, and the rest of Canada's talent and do some damage on the international stage.

By the way, did you even know that kid grew into a highly regarded NBA talent? Iggy B went to HS five minutes up the road from me and went on to Michigan and then was drafted at 47th overall three years ago. Had no idea. I also have a story where when I was 15 I went to my dad's friend's house one time and he told me to go watch TV with his son. We watched March Madness. Four years later I'm watching MSU win the NC on TV and that kid, Dave Thomas, was a part of that team. Didn't make the NBA but he played for Canada and is or was a part of the national team's administration. I also went to HS with Mike Danton and he played basketball at my house once and none of us knew he made the NHL because we all knew him by his real name, Mike Jefferson. And my sister went to school with Michael Cera and was in drama class with him too. They knew he did some small roles and commercials,etc. but they were blown away when they saw him on Arrested Development.

Last edited by megadude; Jun 24, 2022 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Bénédict Mathurin of Montreal chosen 6th overall in 1st round of NBA draft (by Indiana I think).

Even François Legault is excited.
Montreal really stepping up these past few years.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 11:13 PM

Canada’s basketball future is imo even brighter then our soccer future. I can see us competing for a medal in the next Olympics barring everyone remains healthy.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 3:43 AM

Waiting for maritime CEBL team hopefully in SJNB until then I'm cheering for Montreal

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 3:52 PM
你的媽媽

Do you guys have any interest in the KD sweepstakes?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
None whatsoever. The NBA has become an absolute joke in regards to players signing ridiculous contracts with term and then hamstringing the team and the fans when they get upset, don't get the attention they think they deserve, don't want to get vaccinated, etc. KD should be riding out his contract in Brooklyn unless the team feels they get an offer that actually makes them better. As of now they're stuck between Phoenix and Toronto who aren't going to(and shouldn't) up their offers, and they're likely going to get below market value for KD because he's a prima donna.

In terms of actual basketball ability, KD has missed like a third of his games over the past 3 seasons, is now 34, is 7-feet tall, and is likely due for a significant decline in his scoring ability. Even if Scottie Barnes was the focal point of the trade, they would have to include something like OG + Gary Trent just to make the salaries balance. The Raptors had terrible depth last year, and that kind of trade would put them one injury away from being a bottom half team in the East.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Please for the love of Pete do not do this Masai.

KD will surely become malcontent before the end of this contract, and will continue to deteriorate. Where you can have Scottie Barns more or less under control for 7 years.

Homegrown teams are so much more rewarding to watch and cheer for, and we already got our first chip.

Brooklynn would be insane to refuse the offer the media wants Toronto to offer, and Toronto would be bananas to offer it.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 4:45 PM
你的媽媽

Interesting takes. I have to agree that homegrown talent is more rewarding to root for and KD is in the latter third of his career. I think recent examples show that depth is more important than top heavy superteam type rosters especially when injuries come into play.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 4:54 PM

Quote:
No thanks. Not worth what’s needed give up to get him. Dunno what’s up with these elite players now who miss half a season with super max contracts and then questionable for the playoffs.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post

Homegrown teams are so much more rewarding to watch and cheer for, and we already got our first chip.

The chip that came because they got rid of the homegrown and brought in the rental.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 1:32 AM

As a Thunder fan believe me KD is not a leader by any stretch of the imagination and would impact the locker room in a severely negative manner. No point in trading Scottie to go all in when y’all won a ring like 3 years ago. It looks like Barnes has fully embraced Toronto and wants to be the homegrown star that finally stays.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 10:26 PM

I would rather see someone like Damian Lilliard on the Raps - he is a few years younger than Durant, more of a team player and would likely make a bigger impact in the immediate future. Unfortunately, Portland would want Barnes plus for him and that would barely move the needle for the raps in their quest for a second championship.

Moot point anyways, as Lilliard is close to signing a massive extension with the Blazers that will pay him $60 million per season!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 1:16 PM

Olivier Rioux, world's tallest teen, chasing hoops dream at Canada Games
Lori Ewing Canadian Press August 12, 2022

Olivier Rioux landed with a size-large exclamation point on Michael Meeks’ radar when the Canada Basketball coach opened a photo in his inbox seven years ago.

Rioux was attending a kids basketball camp in Montreal, and posed for a photo alongside then-Detroit Pistons and Canadian team centre Joel Anthony, who stands a formidable 6-foot-9.

“Ron Yeung (Canada Basketball’s manager of domestic development) sent me this photo of Olivier and Joel, and Olivier is about the same height, give or take an inch. Ron says, ‘This kid is nine years old,”‘ said Meeks.

“I was immediately on the phones, finding out who he was and what was going on and what we can do to help.”

In the years since, Rioux has sprouted to a full 7-foot-6. He can dunk on an NBA hoop while barely leaving his feet.

Guinness World Records recognized him as the world’s tallest teenager when he was 15 and 7-foot-5. If he played in the NBA now, he’d be tied with Cleveland’s Tacko Fall as the league’s tallest player.

But Rioux is playing for Quebec at the Canada Summer Games this week in Ontario’s Niagara Region with kids at least his own age, if nowhere near his size.

Quebec defeated Saskatchewan 115-78 in a consolation game on Friday after dropping a 72-70 decision to Alberta in Thursday night’s quarterfinal.

Meeks, who’s at the Games to keep an eye on Canada’s young players, said he’s seen improvement in Rioux even over the past few weeks, but cautions that like any super tall player, he’s a long-term work in progress.

“People see his size and their expectations are pretty high,” said Meeks. “For me, it’s the little things like his mobility and agility, how he’s moving, how he conceptualizes the game — how much fun is he having competing and playing?

“This is important because we’re in uncharted territories with Olivier, there’s never been anybody that big at that age before. So, we’re kind of cautiously optimistic that he’s definitely moving in the right direction.”

Rioux, who’s from Anjou, a borough in east Montreal, will begin Grade 10 in the fall in Bradenton, Fla. He moved there to attend IMG Academy — a school that counts superstar tennis sisters Serena and Venus Williams among its alumni — a year ago.

“It was nice,” Rioux said of his first year away from home. “I was calling my parents almost every day, and the school year was good, my grades were up.

“Back in Montreal I used to go to school every day for at least eight hours. Now I go to school for three hours and practice in the afternoon, It’s different,” he added with a deep-voiced laugh.

He’s having fun at the Games, he said, and has taken in some of the boxing competition.

Rioux was 5-foot-2 in kindergarten. His dad Jean-Francois is 6-foot-8, his mom Anne is 6-foot-2.

He first became an unsuspecting internet star at age 12, while playing at a tournament in Spain. He stood out like a maypole among the other players on the court. It caught the eye of Golden State star Steph Curry, who tweeted: “So many questions …”

Jamal Murray posed for a photo alongside him that summer. He already towered over the Denver Nuggets star guard from Kitchener, Ont.

Joey Mckitterick, who’s coached Rioux at Montreal’s AAU program Brookwood Elite since he was 12, echoed Meeks in that he’s seen huge improvement in Rioux this year, particularly as his growing has slowed and his co-ordination is catching up.

But perhaps most important is that Rioux is enjoying the game, which is key since huge expectations come with being super tall.

“I think this year you could see that he enjoyed everything about it, the basketball, the travelling, everything like that. He’s definitely falling in love with it,” Mckitterick said.

Mckitterick said part of his responsibility coaching Rioux was being a buffer between the teen and curious onlookers.

“When we travel, we could be sitting in a hotel lobby and random strangers will come up to him and ask him for a picture. It’s challenging even getting through the airport to make a flight on time because people are constantly stopping him: ‘Can I take your picture? Can you hold my baby?’ Can you do this, can you do that?

“When I met with our players at the end of the year. I told him ‘I can’t imagine being you. But the best I can do is just kind of guide you and help you and be here for you for anything you need, because I can’t put myself in your position.’ Nobody could.”

That uniqueness makes it difficult to gauge where basketball might take him.

“When you see Olivier, every three to six months he’s doing things quicker, faster, stronger, more balanced, he’s got more agility, his game is getting better, his understanding of how to impact the game is getting better,” Meeks said. “This is important, because usually taller players are a little bit slower (to develop), and he’s moving at the right rate in terms of a super tall player.

“Usually guys that stopped growing at about 6-3, 6-4, you could begin to see exactly what they’re going to be by the time they’re 16 years old. But these tall, tall players, it’s 24, 25 before it all starts coming together.”

Rioux, who likes to study the games of Giannis Antetokounmpo and Nikola Jokic, who are both 6-11, is well-proportioned for his size and hasn’t had any major physical issues such as sore knees that can come with fast growth.

Among other NBA giants, Gheorghe Muresan is listed as the tallest ever at 7-foot-7. Yao Ming and Shawn Bradley were 7-6. Canadian Sim Bhullar was 7-5, but his weight — he was listed at 360 pounds — was a limiting factor.

Canada at least has some experience with super tall players.

Zach Edey, a 20-year-old from Toronto, is 7-foot-4. Edey made his debut with Canada’s senior men’s team in a World Cup qualifier in May. The IMG Academy product is heading into his junior season for the Purdue Boilermakers, who’ve also expressed early interest in Rioux.

“There are a lot of Division 1 schools that are very familiar with him already,” Mckitterick said. “The schools that are really focusing in on him are ones that value the size and want to use it. Because basketball has kind of gone in the direction of smaller (multi-position players), but there’s still a lot of programs that still value that size.”

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 1:58 PM

7 foot 6 teenager. Good grief. I'm surprised some NHL GM doesn't want to turn him into a goalie

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 7:03 PM
ハルウララ

With the 2022 CEBL season wrapping up in Ottawa last week it's been confirmed that the Guelph franchise will be relocating to Calgary for 2023, to play out of Winsport. Guelph had been a founding member from 2018. League remains at 10 teams.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
With the 2022 CEBL season wrapping up in Ottawa last week it's been confirmed that the Guelph franchise will be relocating to Calgary for 2023, to play out of Winsport. Guelph had been a founding member from 2018. League remains at 10 teams.
There was a rumour a while back published in the local papers that the owners of the junior hockey team here in Winnipeg are chasing a CEBL team, I can't recall if they're doing it themselves or in collaboration with someone else. I think the idea was to provide more event dates for a prospective new junior hockey arena.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 7:27 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There was a rumour a while back published in the local papers that the owners of the junior hockey team here in Winnipeg are chasing a CEBL team, I can't recall if they're doing it themselves or in collaboration with someone else. I think the idea was to provide more event dates for a prospective new junior hockey arena.
Makes sense to split dates in smaller junior rinks between CHL and CEBL.

More on Guelph:

Quote:
"The Guelph market is tremendous in many, many respects, but it also unfortunately had some gaps that we just couldn't work around," Morreale told CBC Kitchener-Waterloo. "One of them, truthfully, is media. There is no local media. There is no daily paper. There is no way for us to really get the marketing of our brand and the stories of the players and the game out other than what we do through our team and league channels."

"The reality is that there is a ceiling in a market of Guelph's size that will prevent the franchise from being able to compete on a sustained basis," Morreale said.

"When we launched the CEBL in 2018, it made sense for Guelph to be among our founding franchises. However, we are moving into the country's largest markets at a pace much faster than we originally anticipated and the economic realities of pro sports forces us to have to make this difficult decision."
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball...gary-1.6553964

Quote:
“As the league has evolved from 2019 to 2022, we realize the league is a big-market league,” Kusch said, “and it needs to be in larger media markets in order to grow and expand. Unfortunately, that meant that the Guelph team was going to move to Calgary.”
https://globalnews.ca/news/9066576/c...ghthawks-move/

I'm skeptical of this sort of dialogue about having to be in larger media markets in order to survive. The CPL experiment thus far has found that being in medium-sized markets (Victoria, Halifax) is far better than being third-or-fourth fiddle in larger markets (York, Edmonton), at least in terms of local community support and growth. Wonder how the owners in St. John's feel about the commissioner saying these sorts of things.

I'm assuming the CEBL is more interested in the U Calgary USports grads than they otherwise would have been interested in Guelph's market. The key difference being that the CEBL relies more on university grads than the CPL does.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada