HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 11:52 PM

The city looks good. I had no clue Adeline was that much built out already. What is going on with the under pass at the 2:30 mark on the lower left of the screen? Again, I can't wait to see if the Thunderbird Legacy building will be built and hopefully Barrister if that ever happens.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
The city looks good. I had no clue Adeline was that much built out already. What is going on with the under pass at the 2:30 mark on the lower left of the screen? Again, I can't wait to see if the Thunderbird Legacy building will be built and hopefully Barrister if that ever happens.
Oh it's gotten very impressive. Adeline has picked up speed hardcore. It's very tall now. I just drove past it today coming from Frys.

And yes, Thunderbird Legacy and Barrister are really essential for this southern part of downtown. They need to happen because they would absolutely transform the area.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 3:54 AM

What's happening with the empty lot across the street from celery stick arena? I guess it would be 2nd and Jackson.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 6:29 AM

Does anyone know if this is still a thing?

https://roselawgroupreporter.com/201...er-in-phoenix/

Also what are all of the current approved towers underway?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
What's happening with the empty lot across the street from celery stick arena? I guess it would be 2nd and Jackson.
Yo Biggus, that's the Home2 Hotel Development.
I'm 98% sure that's what that is.

This was a screencap that I got from the city council meeting I watched months and months ago. When it was being proposed.

Last edited by Code5; Aug 17, 2020 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Updated my findings.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick725 View Post
Does anyone know if this is still a thing?

https://roselawgroupreporter.com/201...er-in-phoenix/

Also what are all of the current approved towers underway?
That would be Astra. You can get all your information on that here.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=241480

And someone else would have to help me on that second question.
There's a ton of approved towers. It's just getting them started that is the tricky part.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 12:23 PM
Skyriser

https://dtphx.org/development/ is about the best we have for projects in the works.

I wish Phoenix would get its act together and do something like Tempe has--an ESRI integration for maps and all the development review documents available online so poor Crested doesn't have to FOIA what should be easily available public information. Phoenix's Development Services Department's process hasn't changed since I started tracking this stuff like 15 years ago--I remember going in and waiting forever at the counter just to get a site plan of Grace Court so many years ago and realizing what a waste of time it was. Even Planning takes down rezoning applications/reports for some stupid reason.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
On the underpass that might be the reconstruction for the south bound light rail system. That would be my quess.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 5:13 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
On the underpass that might be the reconstruction for the south bound light rail system. That would be my quess.
Correct

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 5:27 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
...celery stick arena...
I just call everything by whatever it was named when my family moved to Phoenix in 1996. A lot of those buildings, Desert Sky Pavilion, America West Arena, eventually BOB still had their original monikers.

Same difference: Banner University will always be Good Sam to me.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
https://dtphx.org/development/ is about the best we have for projects in the works.

I wish Phoenix would get its act together and do something like Tempe has--an ESRI integration for maps and all the development review documents available online so poor Crested doesn't have to FOIA what should be easily available public information. Phoenix's Development Services Department's process hasn't changed since I started tracking this stuff like 15 years ago--I remember going in and waiting forever at the counter just to get a site plan of Grace Court so many years ago and realizing what a waste of time it was. Even Planning takes down rezoning applications/reports for some stupid reason.
That dtphx web page does an awesome job of showing the current projects in Phoenix.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 2:24 AM

Looking at that DTPHX page.

I did not know the Hance Park project received a 2MM donation from the Fiesta Bowl.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 6:01 PM

Another San Francisco tech company moving to Phoenix.

Oh no... Too bad...

Digital signature company ZorroSign moves headquarters to Phoenix

Quote:
ZorroSign Inc., a digital signature and document management platform, is moving its global headquarters from San Francisco to Phoenix and plans to hire 300 people over the next three years.

The company uses a private, permission-based blockchain technology for security with digital signatures and other data.

“I see Phoenix and Arizona in the very near future becoming the blockchain capital of the United States,” Shamsh Hadi, CEO of ZorroSign, said.

The company will start out in Phoenix at the Canyon Ventures Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at Grand Canyon University but will look for its own office space as the company grows its Phoenix presence, Hadi said. For now, the center is closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic so employees are working remotely.

The Canyon Ventures Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship was a perfect fit for ZorroSign in large part because of the talent that GCU continues to graduate and contribute to Arizona’s technology workforce,” Robert Vera, director of Canyon Ventures, said in a statement. “Our students will greatly help ZorroSign’s use of a blockchain secure ledger system to create fraud-proof transactions.”

The company looked at other markets, including Atlanta and New York City before choosing Phoenix. The company will work to partner with GCU and Arizona State University for research and development work.

“The city and state have found multiple ways of being helpful,” Hadi said. “Everyone has been so warm and welcoming, especially in the blockchain community.”

Already hiring in Valley
The company first worked with fintech companies, then grew to include insurance, health, business and real estate users as clients. The Covid-19 pandemic has resulted in more people working remotely and sped up adoption of ZorroSign, Hadi said.

“We’ve created a platform where businesses and governments can go from paper-based to digital,” he said.

ZorroSign will maintain offices in Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Colombo, Sri Lanka; and Mumbai, India; and will immediately start hiring for sales development and technology roles. So far, the company has hired five people in Phoenix. Employees from the California office have been given the option to move to Phoenix or work remotely.

Jobs in Phoenix will include technology developers, app developers, quality assurance, sales and marketing.

Hadi said the firm will also look to add more international offices in the future.

“ZorroSign’s decision to relocate their global operations hub to greater Phoenix helps solidify our region’s position as a place where technology companies can thrive and scale operations seamlessly, while recruiting personnel to fulfill a variety of roles,” Chris Camacho, president and CEO of the Greater Phoenix Economic Council, said in a statement. “We’re always in relentless pursuit of innovative technology companies committed to changing the game, and ZorroSign offers unique solutions to help businesses meet increasing digital demands.”

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 7:35 PM

Hyatt Regency Garage RFP update. No real update. Negotiations are still in progress with the recommended proposer (Berger).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 8:19 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Hyatt Regency Garage RFP update. No real update. Negotiations are still in progress with the recommended proposer (Berger).
Stupid. The Hines proposal walks all over the Berger proposal...although I would be curious if Hines were to still have an office tenant lined up?

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Aug 19, 2020 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Stupid. Th Hines proposal walks all over the Berger proposal...although I would be curious if Hines were to still have an office tenant lined up?
Totally agree the only thing I like about Berger is the streetscape. Hines taller and doesn't look like a box like Berger.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 8:35 PM

The Hines proposal looks better but the Berger feels like a better project.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 9:06 PM
Modulator

There's a lot more to Hines proposal than just the height.

The Berger project's main issue is that the parking garage aspect of it is just ludicrous. It is wide open and very visible. It screams that Phoenix is a car-centric city when Phoenix is trying hard to reverse that image.

Also, another main draw for the Hines proposal is they have a large tenant already lined up if built that would take up a large portion of the office space. Although, I am wondering if it's possible that would no longer be the case with the current epidemic, but we are talking at least 2 years to complete the office portion which we could be well into recovery by then.

Hines also has stated they intend to focus on completing the the ground-floor retail and hotel portion first in order to be ready for the next Super Bowl. The remainder of the tower would then be completed afterwards. I do not believe Berger has such a plan in place. I can read through their RFP again to verify this, but pretty sure they don't have a plan in place for the Super Bowl.

Lastly, there's the design. Berger is just another bland block with too much emphasis on the garage. Granted, the garage is part of the RFP, but that doesn't mean it has to be so obvious. Also, IMO it's just time for Phoenix to have a tower that is not a square block.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 11:14 PM

Just took a drive around downtown. Its much more lively with the kids back in session and I imagine ancillary businesses that make their living on the students.

If only baseball could have in person fans we would be almost back to normal.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 11:27 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Just took a drive around downtown. Its much more lively with the kids back in session and I imagine ancillary businesses that make their living on the students.

If only baseball could have in person fans we would be almost back to normal.
I have noticed an uptick of pedestrians this week so far and also Fry's was very busy during lunch today. I always park in the garage and the Fry's portion of parking was about 2/3 full. It's never even been half full any time I have been there. Good signs, good signs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest