HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:29 PM

June 5th Memorial update:
June 5th Memorial 3/28/2018 by shad obat, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:46 PM

11th and Chestnut, looks like the work is done for the time being....
Untitled by shad obat, on Flickr

Brickstone project, 1100 block Chestnut:
Untitled by shad obat, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
June 5th Memorial update:
June 5th Memorial 3/28/2018 by shad obat, on Flickr
Fuck, these maniacs are actually doing this. Normally you hope the project looks as good as the rendering, in this case I was hoping for a radical departure but it looks like I'm not getting one. There's going to need to build another memorial for this tragedy of a memorial.

Last edited by allovertown; Mar 29, 2018 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 1:47 PM

Only a shortsighted city takes a block of prime real estate and turns into nothing over a (no offense to the victims/families) relatively minor tragedy. I wanted to forget about this.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:32 PM

Y'know, it almost seems like by building a memorial to it, they're making it a bigger deal than it was. Needless to say, I don't want to cause offence by saying this, but I had almost completely forgotten about that. If they wanted to make a memorial to it, it should be like the one there is to Meridian Plaza, in front of the Ritz-Carlton Residences. I don't know why they're making a whole park out of this.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:34 PM

^ We are beating a dead horse. It's over the top and ugly. That's the general consensus. We're stuck with it.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:29 PM

Re pod hotel, rendering of the full building in this article:

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180327.html

Looks like 11 stories - does this deserve it's own thread?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 6:55 PM

Temple Stadium "Walkthrough" https://sway.com/cZvJU3FggQspJHzs

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post

I was unsure about it before, but I think this actually looks like a good plan. Having that much green space on the sides facing residential areas and the main entrance on Broad is probably a good idea, and that should hopefully keep the tailgaiting on campus.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 1:50 AM

I cannot believe they actually created a memorial for the building collapse. Someone on City Council has a brother in the construction business or something.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:04 AM

If I remember correctly, I believe one of the victims in the building collapse was the daughter of a high-ranking city official

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
BUILD. IT. NOW! This stadium is absolute perfection! At first, I withheld full-blown support for our "multipurpose facility" due to concerns over the built environment. In the past, Temple hasn't been a great caretaker to the neighborhood, demolishing architecturally-stunning buildings and creating parking lots. This proposal is the best of ALL worlds, however: the stadium is in scale with the neighborhood, retail lines North Broad Street, parking has been kept to a minimum, and none of the neighborhood's beautiful rowhomes will need to be demolished. Temple and Moody Nolan literally checked off EVERY item on my wish list! There is absolutely NO need for parking in a neighborhood that has two subway stops (technically three due to Temple's athletic field at 13th and Girard), 12 of the 13 Regional Rail lines, multiple bus routes, a trolley, and ample existing parking facilities. I thought the suburbanites and/or auto-centric dinosaurs would ruin the stadium proposal, but Temple has taken great strides to protect the architectural context of the neighborhood.

As someone who will be a Temple alum in a little more than a month, this is the kind of news that will motivate me to donate to my alma mater (as well as Fox). I can't wait to see games played in North Philly! '][' These new students don't realize how spoiled they are, as they're basically getting a brand new campus.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 4:13 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

The Art Deco church next to 1500 North Broad burned down today.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...a-church-fire/

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:32 PM

it's a shame about that building burning down, it had some great details. Not a good year for fires and historic buildings.

The stadium plan looks really nice. I guess I understand the community's concerns with tailgating but not so much the argument that the neighborhood can't support a stadium.

From the presentation:
https://sway.com/cZvJU3FggQspJHzs

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:59 PM

Plans for the new Temple Stadium looks great. Field will be below grade, height of the stadium not really out of scale, so close to public transport, and retail facing Broad St. Plus, Temple exploring tailgating opportunities further inside the campus, away from residential areas. Go for it! I have no connections to Temple other than living in the area my whole life (never been to a Temple game at the Linc), but being a fan of football, and sports stadiums -- I'd definitely check out a game at this place.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Only a shortsighted city takes a block of prime real estate and turns into nothing over a (no offense to the victims/families) relatively minor tragedy. I wanted to forget about this.
Tragedies
Obliviously the first is the actual collapse of the building and the deaths and injuries.
And the fact that it didn't need to happen, it shouldn't have happened.
Then you have the City's response which was pretty much a white wash of anyone's responsibility except the driver of the backhoe and his boss. But in terms the City Gov't. learning from this and making changes---not too much.
Then you have the whole idea that the entire site should be given over to a memorial to those who died.
Then lastly we have this god offal design.
All in all, a waste from top to bottom.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 3:58 PM

How bad does Temple want this stadium? Temple's concessions to the community have gone overboard: Underground streets, fixing up a community center, paying for liquor enforcement police, etc. - all for 6 games a year?

And the community doesn't even want to discuss it!

From a business standpoint, I don't see how this makes sense to Temple. On the other hand, the neighborhood's attitude makes want this stadium shoved down their throats simply out of spite....and without all those ridiculous concessions.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
How bad does Temple want this stadium? Temple's concessions to the community have gone overboard: Underground streets, fixing up a community center, paying for liquor enforcement police, etc. - all for 6 games a year?

And the community doesn't even want to discuss it!

From a business standpoint, I don't see how this makes sense to Temple. On the other hand, the neighborhood's attitude makes want this stadium shoved down their throats simply out of spite....and without all those ridiculous concessions.
Temple's concessions to the community are entirely appropriate. The way it handled this process to date is entirely inappropriate. It wants the stadium VERY badly even though it makes no economic sense and won't do what they think it will for the school.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Temple's concessions to the community are entirely appropriate. The way it handled this process to date is entirely inappropriate. It wants the stadium VERY badly even though it makes no economic sense and won't do what they think it will for the school.

This will be great for Temple when it's finished.

Last edited by Fairmount2Fishtown; Mar 30, 2018 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmount2Fishtown View Post
This will be great for Temple when it's finished.
I don't agree. I went to U of M and love football. So I get it. But I don't think this will pan out for Temple. Would love to be wrong (assuming it does happen that is; Clarke may successfully oppose the elimination of 15th Street).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development