HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 4:51 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
He has a history of placing spires atop the buildings he designs; from AT&T to NBC to the Burj and Kingdom.
I think a statement like that implies that a spire is a sure bet but I don't think the majority of his work has spires and I think Burj Khalifa and Kingdom Tower are outliers because the purpose of their design is to be tall almost above all other functions.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 4:52 PM
1st Ward

Can an admin give this thread a Chicago tag? Also, the Chicago Economic News thread as well, please and thank you!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
The short portion of NBC where you're talking about is the view corridor. The lots north and south are out of the way.

The blank wall is the north face of NBC, the south face is upper east North Water Street.
Yup, I just wasn’t sure if the base of this proposed tower could extend south to meet up level with the blank wall from the NBC Tower, as long as the new tower is situated on the north end of the lot to keep the site line open? Or if constructing any structure on the south end of the lot above the street level of Illinois Street and Cityfront Plaza Drive would compromise the site line too much?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:16 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Yup, I just wasn’t sure if the base of this proposed tower could extend south to meet up level with the blank wall from the NBC Tower, as long as the new tower is situated on the north end of the lot to keep the site line open? Or if constructing any structure on the south end of the lot above the street level of Illinois Street and Cityfront Plaza Drive would compromise the site line too much?
I believe the NBC tower is one block to the east of this development, across Cityfront Plaza. The proposed tower will be occupying the southwest corner of Illinois & Cityfront, whereas the blank wall along NBC spans a full block of Illinois, between Cityfront and Columbus.

But to answer your question, if anything is built to the north of NBC tower, yes they would be able to put a lowrise portion of it within the confines of the view corridor in order to meet up with the NBC tower party wall. Its much like 465 N Park, the tower portion is to the north of the lot, with a lowrise section in the view corridor that meets up with the lowrise base of the Loews Hotel.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I believe the NBC tower is one block to the east of this development, across Cityfront Plaza. The proposed tower will be occupying the southwest corner of Illinois & Cityfront, whereas the blank wall along NBC spans a full block of Illinois, between Cityfront and Columbus.

But to answer your question, if anything is built to the north of NBC tower, yes they would be able to put a lowrise portion of it within the confines of the view corridor in order to meet up with the NBC tower party wall. Its much like 465 N Park, the tower portion is to the north of the lot, with a lowrise section in the view corridor that meets up with the lowrise base of the Loews Hotel.
Oh right. Sorry about that. I had it in my mind the lot to be developed was the lot between the NBC Tower so the south and the building that houses a Whole Foods to the north (where upper Illinois ends at Columbus Drive, I think called the Fairbanks at Cityfront?). Now I realize the lot for this development is the one directly west of this one (across Cityfront Plaza). Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:46 PM

Looking at the site on Streetview from LSD and Columbus, they could build a lowrise on the southern portion of the lot up to about 5 stories before they infringed on views of the tower itself. They'd only be blocking the old printing building.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
NIMBYism in chicago amounts to jack shit if the alderman's wheels have been adequately greased.
This is a fantastic quote.

So... are we looking at Chicago's version of 432 Park here?

Unfortunately, I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I think we're looking at a market reckoning before this one can possibly hit its pre-sale numbers and secure financing, especially with so much else in the pipeline.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:07 PM

It's only 158 condos. Selling 50 units in the heart of Chicago doesn't sound too hard.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:12 PM
MPLSXCHI

This is dope, can't wait to see the renderings. Also there is no way they keep it one foot smaller then the trump tower.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
This is dope, can't wait to see the renderings. Also there is no way they keep it one foot smaller then the trump tower.
Yup, I read that as a hint that it *will* be taller but they’re going to avoid provoking Dear Leader until the plan is final

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:27 PM

The Curbed article says the new tower wouldn’t begin construction until completion of the Tribune Tower conversion, which it reported as taking 3 years. It’s already underway, having started in October 2017, meaning completion in 2020. So that would mean this potential supertall won’t get underway for a couple more years? One Chicago Square seems to be the exact opposite, working in a much more expedited manner... a lot can change with the economy over that extended timeframe.

Tribune Tower condo conversion, supertall addition in the works

Quote:
Interior demolition within Tribune Tower has been underway since October. Its conversion to 165 residential units plus new lower level retail space is expected to take three years. The overhaul will be completed before work starts on the supertall addition. In the meantime, the new skyscraper will also need to secure zoning approval and financing.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:34 PM
Chicago Kid

Adrian Smith !!!

I'd be more excited about this than any of the others in Chicago going up.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
It's only 158 condos. Selling 50 units in the heart of Chicago doesn't sound too hard.
It's a lot when there's a market correction and the banks decide they need to retrench. They're selling those units against OBP, Vista, Wolf Point South, One Chicago Square, and whatever else in smaller buildings in that same submarket.

If it was no problem then we'd have supertalls springing up at the rate of a few per year every year, and we don't.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:36 PM
Chicago Kid

Tribune Tower deserves its own thread

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:36 PM

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
NIMBYism in chicago amounts to jack shit if the alderman's wheels have been adequately greased.

and it sounds like they may have been in this case.

in fact there is only one "to the roof" 1,300'+ skyscraper anywhere in the western hemisphere outside of NYC: the sears tower.

O'Reilly also emphasized, that as a slender tower, it will have less density, mitigating the impact on the neighborhood.

It's just off Michigan Avenue. This would be such a great addition, assuming the design is up to spec.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:43 PM

Chicago is starting to get ballsy again with the supertalls. Maybe like a second supertall cycle like the early 70s?

How about Wolf Point 3 stretching about 50 feet and Related with an announcement on the Spire site.

Sorry, getting greedy.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:45 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Unfortunately, I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I think we're looking at a market reckoning before this one can possibly hit its pre-sale numbers and secure financing, especially with so much else in the pipeline.
I agree with this. Even with the tower being mostly apartments, the economy is going to start cooling down in a few years after so many years of growth, especially with the last several years being red hot.

It seems the developers have already acknowledged this, hence why it wouldn't start until after 2020 when the Tribune Tower conversion is complete. There's a lot on the pipeline now, and rents are slowing downtown since renters have a lot more choice. Add in the fact that we may be nearing a recession in the next 24 months, planning for delivery in 2022 or after makes sense.

Its getting built, just not in this real estate cycle.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:46 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
Chicago is starting to get ballsy again with the supertalls. Maybe like a second supertall cycle like the early 70s?

How about Wolf Point 3 stretching about 50 feet and Related with an announcement on the Spire site.

Sorry, getting greedy.
There's a lot of talk that the 950 ft figure is the height to the top occupied floor. More than likely, with mechanical floors and the crown, WPS will be topping out at above 1000 ft.

Thats the hope anyway.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:47 PM

Question for the industry folks - has there been some recent leap forward in technology that makes these tall, narrow residential buildings much easier and cheaper to build?

They seem to have sprouted all over Midtown in a short span of time, and now there are like half a dozen active supertall developments or proposals in Chicago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals