HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelacey45 View Post
My prediction they may go for the tallest with a spiral.
Clearly you haven't been following Chicago skyscraper construction these past two decades. We'd be lucky if this ends up a supertall, let alone if it actually gets built.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 4:14 PM
DENNAB

^^ Trump and Vista, two near 1200 footers got built in the past two decades, mostly because the people behind them made sure they happened.

If you're referring to the Chicago Spire the developers were totally incompetent and had no idea what they were doing, it was also too tall for its own good.

Quote:
My prediction they may go for the tallest with a spiral.
I hope not, I appreciate Chicago's lack of vanity height overall, they literally could just extend the fins a bit, some sources put this tower at 1,442 (not 22) so that would be even easier.

Does anyone know the maximum allowed height of the zoning?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 4:31 PM

I'm not expecting this tower to start construction this year or early next year no matter what the developer said 2 years ago. Unless some of you have been living under a rock for the last 18 months or so, a lot has happened since this tower was initially proposed/approved so I'm sure CIM and Golub are no longer following their original timeline for this building. It's just common sense.

Also, this tower is supposed to be mostly apartments and hotels ( 200 hotel keys, 440 apts, 125 condos) similar program to One Chicago, One Benner Park, and a few others I can't think of at the moment. Typically, this sort of programming doesn't require any presales prior to starting construction. Therefore, I think the key here is landing a hotel as the apartment market has rebounded to pre-pandemic levels already. I'm also pretty sure CIM/Golub would like to be close to selling out the converted Tribune Tower before starting this addition.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Clearly you haven't been following Chicago skyscraper construction these past two decades. We'd be lucky if this ends up a supertall, let alone if it actually gets built.

Same thing ppl said about St. Regis and One Chicago when they were proposed. I guess some still feel the sting from the early 2000s with the Spire, Waterview, and Waldorf not coming to fruition.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 7:19 PM
West End & Riverside

Much like what is about to happen to the poor Chrysler Building I'm not keen when masterpieces of architecture like the Tribune Tower are miniaturized by having a supertall built directly adjacent. I know that's not a popular opinion on the fora, but it might be a good thing if this is downsized or not built at all, there are plenty of better locations - although I realize that's not how the development game works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I appreciate Chicago's lack of vanity height overall
NY'er looks around the room, "You talkin' to me?"

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 4:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerumer View Post
I'm not keen when masterpieces of architecture like the Tribune Tower are miniaturized by having a supertall built directly adjacent.
i'm afraid the old tribune tower, at only 470' tall, has already been lost in the weeds of the chicago skyline for quite some time.

the days of it having any real skyline presence have have long since passed.

as such, i'm more than ok with this relationship:

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 5:15 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
if anything, that dumb modernist box is more disrespectful of the wrigley building and tribune tower than the supertall

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 5:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i'll have to disagree with you on that point.

i quite like the equitable building.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerumer View Post
Much like what is about to happen to the poor Chrysler Building I'm not keen when masterpieces of architecture like the Tribune Tower are miniaturized by having a supertall built directly adjacent. I know that's not a popular opinion on the fora, but it might be a good thing if this is downsized or not built at all, there are plenty of better locations - although I realize that's not how the development game works.

NY'er looks around the room, "You talkin' to me?"
More like Dubai-er looks around the room.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 6:22 PM

It's been decades since you could spot the Tribune Tower out of the skyline from any distance away from the CBD. Fortunately for everyone, it's still got a great presence from the Michigan Ave bridge and will be preserved for decades to come.

Now, let's see some shovels in the ground for Tribune Tower East. It has the potential of being one of the finest towers in the country.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 7:12 PM

Quote:

And at least they gave deference to Tribune...

Wiki - ... At the urging of the Chicago Tribune, Graham designed the building with a 175-foot (53m) setback from Michigan Avenue, to avoid blocking views of the Chicago River from the Tribune's nearby building. A large plaza created by this setback was named Pioneer Court, envisioned by both Equitable and the Tribune as a monumental civic space in Chicago honoring various civic founders, including du Sable and Kinzie. The plaza is at the elevated level of Michigan Avenue, and would be paved in granite, with trees and a large reflecting pond. Underneath the building and plaza were to be commercial spaces and parking, as well as an existing single-track railroad line leading to Navy Pier. Along the river edge, Graham designed a curvilinear promenade for a riverfront restaurant with a helical staircase down from the plaza above...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equita...lding_(Chicago)

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 8:23 PM

Quote:

Meh......

Not saying this is the best looking proposal, but I LOVE the contrast in architecture having this right next to the Tribune Tower. Maybe it's because I am a huge sucker for huge contrasts in architecture like this. It's like seeing two worlds next to each other, tipping their hats.

When I was in London last month, there was one night I was on the corner by the London Tower and the Shard was towering above it in the distance with it's frosty top lit up with the crown lighting. Yes, I was drunk at the time, but my god it melted my heart.

I see potential for that level of awesomeness here as well.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Meh......

Not saying this is the best looking proposal, but I LOVE the contrast in architecture having this right next to the Tribune Tower. Maybe it's because I am a huge sucker for huge contrasts in architecture like this. It's like seeing two worlds next to each other, tipping their hats.

When I was in London last month, there was one night I was on the corner by the London Tower and the Shard was towering above it in the distance with it's frosty top lit up with the crown lighting. Yes, I was drunk at the time, but my god it melted my heart.

Same - A thought provoking contrast on the passage of time. And like an outdoor museum of sorts to appreciate.

Tribune Tower was completed in 1925; let's get this thing rolling and ready for the 100th anniversary in 2025.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Meh......

The equitable building is too average and squat for such a prominent location...it seems out of place whenever viewed... I alwasy thought that site could be ala rockerfeller center type of development if equitable wasn't there

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 9:03 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
i'm afraid the old tribune tower, at only 470' tall, has already been lost in the weeds of the chicago skyline for quite some time.

the days of it having any real skyline presence have have long since passed.

as such, i'm more than ok with this relationship:
Agreed, 470' is not really notable skyscraper material in a major world city by today's standards. It's time to move on and cherish those older beauties from street level.

~1,400 feet isn't what it used to be either but is still at least really respectable in any major city. There could be 40+ buildings of that caliber soon globally and for some reason people still think it's too tall for Chicago to pull off, despite being the first one to do it. I'd rather they shoot for 1600+ and try to compete with NYC's new Grand Hyatt tower, like the good old days.

Last edited by Zapatan; Oct 4, 2021 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 9:05 PM
Show me the blueprints

Im trying to visualize the IBM Building in place of Equitable and whether that would have complimented Trib Tower or not. IBM or AMA or whatever they're calling it now is nearly 700 feet while Equitable is around 450'.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 9:10 PM
The City

The Tribune Tower is Gothic

The new supertall looks like Batman

Batman is from Gotham City

See the connection?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 1:50 AM

Yes.... I se the connection! LOL

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 9:50 PM

Dennis Rodkin reporting for Crain's today that 43% of the condos in the Tribune rehab have been sold.

[link]

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Dennis Rodkin reporting for Crain's today that 43% of the condos in the Tribune rehab have been sold.

[link]
Is that good? That seems good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals