HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 10:28 PM

I have to admit, I've never really considered myself a fan of POMO or even real Art Deco. Nor have I ever really wanted to live in a high-rise in the long term. I love Miesian boxes more than anything.

But I really, really wish I could live here. The floorpans are incredible! (They definitely put Vista to shame) The interiors might make one feel like they're living in a stately mansion floating in the sky. (Whereas more modern interiors tend to emphasize what a strange thing it is to be living in a skyscraper, in a bad way.)

The renderings make the base and park look gorgeous as well. We'll see how the rest turns out, but so far it's looking good to me.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 10:36 PM

Random amusing tidbit: OBP has two fewer floors than Lake Point Tower.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 11:21 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
Random amusing tidbit: OBP has two fewer floors than Lake Point Tower.
If Lake Point Tower had the same height to ceiling ratios as OBP, at 70 floors it would be 860 feet, instead of 645 ft. The penthouse levels and lobby of OBP might throw those numbers off just a bit, however.

A lot of residential skyscrapers built between the 60's and 80's seem to have very low floor to ceiling heights.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 11:33 PM

Imagine hancock/marina towers if they had OBP floor heights in the residental portion?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 11:57 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I don't understand how setbacks can be declared post modern.
Post-Modernism is at its base a rejection of the Modernist principle that there are objective truths. In Modernist architecture, this meant letting the function and materials provide and guide the aesthetics of the structure (See the Hancock Building or the IBM Building). Post-modernism rejects this, there are no finite rules and ornament/alluding to the past is acceptable.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khantilever View Post
The floorpans are incredible! (They definitely put Vista to shame) The interiors might make one feel like they're living in a stately mansion floating in the sky. (Whereas more modern interiors tend to emphasize what a strange thing it is to be living in a skyscraper, in a bad way.)
Stern really shines in his floorplans. The apartments are divided in a very graceful, rational way with private, public and communal spaces logically organized. Typical glass box high rises tend to emphasize exterior form over function or awkwardly shoehorn spaces into the building seemingly without much thought. Stern at least follows certain rules or realities of apartment living that were laid out by the masters of the trade like Candela.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Can someone clarify what pomo means? Thanks.
One of the best shortest explanations of PoMo (post modern) architecture that I've seen is part of this video on the Harold Washington Library from the wonderful folks at Chicago Architecture Foundation

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 4:36 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
One of the best shortest explanations of PoMo (post modern) architecture that I've seen is part of this video on the Harold Washington Library from the wonderful folks at Chicago Architecture Foundation

Video Link
Well that both changed my understanding of pomo and educated me on the design of the Harold Washington library. Thanks for sharing. Excellent video.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
If Lake Point Tower had the same height to ceiling ratios as OBP, at 70 floors it would be 860 feet, instead of 645 ft. The penthouse levels and lobby of OBP might throw those numbers off just a bit, however.

A lot of residential skyscrapers built between the 60's and 80's seem to have very low floor to ceiling heights.
Yep. And even some modern ones. Aqua has quite low ceilings, for instance.

9.5' is about the minimum ceiling height that's acceptable to me, personally. My current apartment is in a Victorian building with 12' ceilings.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Well that both changed my understanding of pomo and educated me on the design of the Harold Washington library. Thanks for sharing. Excellent video.
They have a whole series of these videos on Chicago buildings, I suggest you watch them all when time allows.

Also, I didn't realize that Art Vandelay designed the Harold Washington Library.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 4:12 PM

1/26 & 27/ 2018

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 7:31 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
9.5' is about the minimum ceiling height that's acceptable to me, personally. My current apartment is in a Victorian building with 12' ceilings.
Couldn't agree more. My condo has 10' ceilings, and anything less would feel claustrophobic to me. Granted, I'm 6'4" so taller is always better in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Also, I didn't realize that Art Vandelay designed the Harold Washington Library.
Well, after his failure as a latex salesman, I'm glad he found his groove as an architect lol

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 10:15 PM

is anyone here an ichthyologist??

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 10:54 PM

I've decided to build a rollercoaster instead.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 6:31 PM
The City

Wait, so the Pomo movement started in Chicago?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Wait, so the Pomo movement started in Chicago?
The central themes of Postmodern Architecture are generally attributed to an architect from Philadelphia named Robert Venturi. The Chicago Seven were early adopters of those ideas and were certainly instrumental it's gaining traction.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 11:03 PM

Yup, Venturi "wrote the book" on Pomo, literally. He published some manifesto theory mumbo jumbo on it and started designing some nutty stuff and the Chicago Seven basically spread it everywhere and expounded on the theory. You had different interpretations of Pomo even within that group with Beeby obviously doing throwbacks like the library or Tigerman going much more abstract and playful. It's really not that terrible of an aesthetic theory, but it's just at that stage in it's lifecycle that it's very played out and the hacks have all glommed on to it and flooded the world with shitty knockoffs of the architects who started it and actually knew what they were doing. It's the very same way that pomo itself came about: modernism was so played out and full of hacks thinking "that Mies fellow sure is getting a lot of commissions building boxes, let's make some too" but they didn't have the theory, skill or effort to make a Mies box with it's thought out lines and proportions. That ruined the style and is how we got all the crap along Lake Shore Drive which is exactly the stuff that made modernism fall out of popularity.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 8:14 AM

From Related Midwest Facebook page.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 8:20 AM

http://www.globest.com/sites/brianjr...20180029031527

Related Midwest Celebrates Construction Milestone
JANUARY 22, 2018 | BY BRIAN J. ROGAL
Its new Streeterville tower is the tallest building topped off in Chicago since 2009.

Quote:
CHICAGO—Related Midwest last week celebrated the topping off of One Bennett Park, the developer’s luxury residential tower at 451 E. Grand Ave. in Chicago’s Streeterville neighborhood. The celebration, co-hosted with Lendlease, the project’s general contractor, included a lunch and raffle for more than 350 tradespeople who worked on the building. Rising 836 feet, One Bennett Park is the tallest tower topped off in downtown Chicago since 2009 and, upon completion, will be the tallest all-residential skyscraper in the city.

The building will open in a multifamily market that has reached a plateau. Demand for downtown residences remains strong, however, especially for those in buildings with distinctive features.

“The topping off of One Bennett Park represents a construction milestone not only for this project, but for all of Chicago and Streeterville in particular,” says Curt Bailey, president of Related Midwest. “Expertly designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects and inspired by our city’s timeless Art Deco-style buildings, One Bennett Park will elevate luxury living in every possible sense — something that is apparent even now through our use of limestone, classic step-ups along the building’s façade, and distinctive materials that reflect the tower’s exceptional level of craftsmanship and detailing.”

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 1:02 PM

Nice find on the winter wonderland photo. Looks like the'll be covering the blank wall with glass paneling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive