HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 11:28 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Glad they are serious about wanting nothing less than a triple section, triple bogie car. I predict these will wind up longer rather than shorter than the 80' +/- 6' range. I'll go with 84' just to make it interesting. Just for a visual reference the maximum length would be just a few feet shorter than this Siemens Avenio operated in Munich.

Please Septa don't foul this up.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 2:25 PM

the 3 scenarios for regional rail are really cool! A combo between scenario one and two would be ideal, scenario 2 service with amtrak and NJT compatibility. They are also considering infill stops on NHSL to transfer with regional rail, MFL infill stations to connect with other modes and 2 trolley extensions to eastwick and Overbrook respectively. Do it!

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 4:45 PM

New bus service will connect Philadelphia, KoP to Jersey Shore towns

Quote:
A new bus route will link Philadelphia and King of Prussia with the Jersey Shore, connecting local travelers to summer hotspots including Margate, Ocean City, Sea Isle City and Wildwood. Absecon and Ventnor are also included.

The service, offered by OurBus, will launch this Thursday.

The route will begin at the King of Prussia Park and Ride before stopping at Philadelphia International Airport, followed by NRG Station in South Philadelphia near the Sports Complex. The bus will then stop at the Frank Sinatra Service Center in Galloway where Absecon, Ventnor and Margate passengers will switch to a luxury SUV or sprinter van.

Passengers headed to Sea Isle City, Ocean City and Wildwood will then take a minibus shuttle to those towns. Sea Isle City visitors will be dropped off at Ocean View Service Area on the Garden State Parkway just outside of the Shore town.

Other transportation options exist for Philadelphia-area residents to get to Jersey Shore towns.

NJ Transit offers bus routes 313 and 315, which have stops in Wildwood and Cape May, for example. The two routes recently halted service from the Greyhound Bus Terminal on 10th and Filbert Streets, and instead now start at the Walter Rand Transportation Center in Camden. Starting on June 25, NJ Transit will also offer route 316, which departs from 30th Street Station and provides service between the city, Wildwood and Cape May.

NJ Transit's Atlantic City Line out of Center City ends in Atlantic City for $10.75. Greyhound also offers a route from Philadelphia to Atlantic City for varying costs. Various NJ Transit bus routes can then connect riders from Atlantic City to towns along the coast. OurBus also has a service to Atlantic City.
Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...sey-shore.html

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 1:01 AM

From KoP rail project to overhaul of Roosevelt Boulevard, region eyes 'transformative' infrastructure projects

Quote:
Leaders from some of the region's largest transportation and planning agencies are prioritizing partnerships and calling for local government funding in order to secure competitive federal grants for major infrastructure projects.

The industry insiders discussed the future of transportation in Greater Philadelphia and plans to capitalize on the $1 trillion federal Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act during the Philadelphia Business Journal's "Investing in Infrastructure" event on June 8.

The discussion ultimately circled back to funding. Though the $1 trillion federal infrastructure package has enabled many planned projects to commence, incomplete funding can be the biggest obstacle for ambitious and transformative projects for Philadelphia and its suburbs.

PennDOT's Gramian said that in doing an asset evaluation, the agency found that its annual funding falls $8.1 billion short of what it needs to repair and maintain Pennsylvania's highways and bridges. That deficit doesn't even include money it wants to put toward transit, such as funding for Richards' SEPTA.

The Philadelphia area has the "best transit infrastructure in the country," Richards said, but added "we haven't been able to invest in it like it's the best infrastructure in the United States."

In order to properly invest, the organizations need to secure local funding matches for federal grants. That helps them in the bidding process to secure competitive grants, which account for 40% of the funding coming from the infrastructure law. Richards said transit systems in cities like Boston, Chicago and Washington, D.C., have capital budgets three to four times the size of SEPTA's due to local matches.

Seymour, whose organization coordinates the region's transportation investment portfolio, identified three projects that aren't yet fully funded and could be "transformative for the region."

One is a high-speed Amtrak train that would travel 300 miles per hour and cut commute times to Manhattan or Washington, D.C., to about 30 minutes.

The second is the SEPTA-proposed King of Prussia Rail Project, an extension of the Norristown High Speed Line that will add five train stations in the King of Prussia area.

The third is adding safety measures and more transit in an overhaul of Roosevelt Boulevard, which Seymour called "one of the most dangerous roads in the country."
Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...nndot-kop.html

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 1:12 AM

Quote:
One is a high-speed Amtrak train that would travel 300 miles per hour and cut commute times to Manhattan or Washington, D.C., to about 30 minutes.
The SCMaglev's hypothetical phase 2 expects an 1 hour from NYC to DC, which would be ~ 30 mins from Philly to either of the two cities. I don't see how Amtrak can achieve a sustained 300 mph unless they go full maglev and build completely new grade separation

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
The SCMaglev's hypothetical phase 2 expects an 1 hour from NYC to DC, which would be ~ 30 mins from Philly to either of the two cities. I don't see how Amtrak can achieve 300 mph unless they go full maglev
Nvm.

Last edited by MAC123; Jun 18, 2022 at 4:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:45 PM

Should SEPTA build the King of Prussia line? | Pro/Con

Richard's 'pro'-opinion section reads like an ad agency wrote it. No specifics. Hypothetical scenarios. No mention of costs. Just a lot of colorful fluff language to try to swoon readers into her Montgomery County vanity project.

Trubman is right on the money. SEPTA has way too many other priorities and, actual real problems, to be spending BILLIONS on this project.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

That's a no.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:38 PM

Yeah I looked around that Philadelphia Biz article is the only place where "One is a high-speed Amtrak train that would travel 300 miles per hour and cut commute times to Manhattan or Washington, D.C., to about 30 minutes." is mentioned

Edit: It's probably the maglev project.

Last edited by MAC123; Jun 16, 2022 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 7:33 PM

So this is the thing that confuses me. There is a freight rail line that already goes through KOP. Why not just double-track it and have it branch from the Manayunk/Norristown Line???

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthayre View Post
SEPTA's Regional Rail Master Plan project has released three conceptual scenarios for the network. Although any actual realized plan will probably end up as a distorted kludge of the three concepts, they are interesting exercises and this is some of the most exciting, promising thinking the SEPTA has demonstrated in a significant length of time.
As someone who grew up in Bucks County by the West Trenton line, here's my thoughts:

Option 1:

My favorite out of the three. This goes a long way towards making Regional Rail a viable mode of transport for non 9-5 Center City commuters. People now can expect somewhat reasonable service all day every day across the whole network which in itself will drive demand. Couple this with fare intergration and now we're beginning to get somewhere.

Option 2:

So, this ironically enough is my second choice. My fear is that while this is a game changer for those routes that see the boosted service, it basically splits the regional rail into a "core" network and an "outer" network. This is worrisome because in the early 1980s when SEPTA still ran diesel routes the thinking was the diesel routes were "peripheral" to the core electrified network making eventual abandonment easier to justify. At the very least, the 15-minute zone needs to extend to Wilmington, Lansdale, Trenton and Malvern, with Fox Chase, West Trenton and the Chestnut Hill West still holding onto 30 minute frequencies.

Option 3:

This is a hard no for a couple reasons:

One, if you live at a local stop, you're basically either waiting on an once-an-hour train to transfer to an express train *or* you simply drive to the nearest express station. This is going to tank ridership at a lot of stations, as well as make said local stations ineligable for any future TOD possibilites.

Second, Does Amtrak have the capacity or willingness to go along with such a concept? Keep in mind that an Amtrak seat taken up by someone only going from Cornwells Heights to 30th Street is one that cannot be sold to someone going from New York to Baltimore.

Third, one of the stated goals of this endeavor is to bring about a more equitable transit structure as well as establish regional rail as a backbone of the network. With the majority of your trains on certain lines like the Thorndale, West Trenton, Trenton and Doylestown Lines skipping most of the stations enroute how does this help transit-dependant individuals w/o vehicles who need to get to those stops? This plan seems to be more of a doubling down on the concept of the RR network being a "Get people to CC and back out again" mode than one that works for suburb to suburb or intermediate travel.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 2:06 PM

I voted 2 but i get the concern. I don't know why they can't have the 30 minute or 60 minute routes continue on through the trunk. Is it a capacity thing? The problem i had with 1 is they seemed to not have included things like platform level loading and normalized fare between all modes. I also Don't get why the train cars need to change between options. Why can't option 1 have 3 door cars? I guess what i really want is a combo of 1 and 2: fast reliable metro service in city and inner suburbs and less frequent service for outer ring suburbs.

Also, saw this article about restoring service to west Chester:
https://www.phillyvoice.com/west-che...ladelphia/amp/

I think someone floated the idea of dual mode battery electric trains recently. Seems like a good idea

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 5:28 PM
Me?!?

Red 'bus only' lane comes to Chestnut Street -- first of many in Philadelphia

The Chestnut Street bus-only lanes are between Broad Street and 2nd Streets.

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-bus-on...ource=facebook

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 7:49 PM

PATCO expects long-shuttered Franklin Square station to reopen in 2024

https://www.phillyvoice.com/franklin...-philadelphia/

Possible Expansion to 22nd St and the Trolleys at 40th

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 10:33 PM

Finally, a useful extension. If the Broad-Ridge Spur is also able to use the route, that would make it even better.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 11:19 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfire View Post

Wow, that would be incredible. You think they're thinking totally underground after 22nd all the way to 40th or daylighting and using rail row? They would still need to go under University or Spruce (with a Penn stop) I would think because they probably wouldn't tunnel under the cemetery. I can hear the wails now.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 12:36 AM

Many people are saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Finally, a useful extension. If the Broad-Ridge Spur is also able to use the route, that would make it even better.
That would be excellent, but difficult as it would require two entities (PATCO & SEPTA) to somehow negotiate the nontrivial resolution of their incompatible electrification and signaling system. (Perhaps the city, which owns both the BSS and the 8th-Locust Subway might 'facilitate' this.)

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfire View Post

I love the Franklin Square station so much and it makes me happy to see the station construction is still on track. It's a mid-century modern time capsule that has been waiting for new life for over a generation.

Really extending the PATCO further into Center City west and into West Philly is a genius idea that's would be good for both NJ and PA.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Additionally, the Philadelphia Office of Transportation and Infrastructure have discussed extending the PATCO Speedline to 22nd Street in Center City and the 40th Street Trolley Portal in West Philly. The line currently ends at 16th and Locust streets.

The extension would provide better connections between South Jersey and the universities and health systems in University City.

It also would give PATCO riders a place to transfer to SEPTA's Airport Line. At present, they have to make two transfers at 15th Street and 30th Street
While true, equally or more importantly, you would have a huge increase in intra-City travelers.

Likewise, the Franklin Square stop would provide a one seat ride from Rittenhouse Square to Old City. They would just need to advertise. Making SEPTA fare instruments compatible would help increase this type of use as well.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
While true, equally or more importantly, you would have a huge increase in intra-City travelers.

Likewise, the Franklin Square stop would provide a one seat ride from Rittenhouse Square to Old City. They would just need to advertise. Making SEPTA fare instruments compatible would help increase this type of use as well.
I want SEPTA and PATCO fares to be integrated so badly. I was in NY recently and being able to use the same card for MTA and PATH is such a benefit. For somebody who regularly uses both systems, it would be nice to not have to re-load 2 separate cards. I often find myself missing trains because I forgot to re-load my PATCO card.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation