HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 5:17 PM
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundOfPhiladelphia View Post
As a rail fanatic, some retiered SEPTA heads told me it's set up the way it is becuase if the Suburban counties had their way, they'd trash suburban service and leave reverse-communting Philadelphian's in a bind.

Philly is very segregated on almost every level between ever increasing poverty in the center of town with steps in wealth until you reach the old money/upper class on the edges of the built-out area. Most areas outside the city and parts of DelCo do not want transit becuase of their fears of the "wrong people" becoming accessable to their neighborhoods. Ignorant? yes. but that seems to be the view. Even if MikeToronto's vision was remotley realisitic, the patriarchal views of the citizenry will shoot that bird straight out of the sky.

At the end of the day, SEPTA is a horror to ride. The only thing they do go the distance in is graffiti cleaning (<i>Are you listening, NYC</i>?). Other than that, the people on Market St do. not. care. 90% of the ridership is people who have no choice, so therefore, this is what you get.

But this goes back to the Philadelphia mentality in general. People seem not to believe in their city, themselves, the future, or really anything outside the Eagles. Bitter, angry, and close minded....
Regardless that these barriers exist today, at some point they'll need to be overcome as the City is changing and will - in my opinion - face an inevitable situation where an influx of new, young residents demand more transit options. America is obviously undergoing a paradigm shift with regard to the "green movement" as the younger generations flock back to the city eager to utilize public transit, etc. This will in effect cause two outcomes both intertwined: 1) Increased demand for housing close to public transit and 2) higher public transit ridership rates.

This dynamic will one day - as long as this paradigm shift exists - invariably lead to a need for an improved and expanded mass transit system. Understandably SEPTA will be reactive to this situation, however it'd be wonderful to see proactivity on this issue in the form of planning for additional lines, system changes, blah blah blah.

In addition, as I mentioned before on this thread, I believe an additional line would spur development along that particular corridor, in turn creating even more demand, ridership, etc.

Thoughts?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation