HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 1:00 AM

Taken today from Romare Park...on the left side, contractor installing crane at the courthouse site and on the right is the Grand Bohemian hotel.

Another skyline pic from the panthers' twitter account.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 4:28 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Great shot!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Although Charlotte will NEVER keep up with ATL...
Let it go.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 12:13 AM
Everywhere all at once

First photo I've seen of the pyramid crown of Legacy Union completed to its apex. Huzzah!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 2:45 AM
BANNED

Nice photos!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Cline Design

@ClineDesignNC
Jan 22
More
Construction is under way at Bryant Park and with not a bad view of Uptown Charlotte! @AllianceLiving #construction #architecture #CLT #imagineaplace
https://twitter.com/ClineDesignNC/st...55253515239431

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Fences and scaffolding line Central Piedmont Community College’s main quad — and more are on the way as the as the school makes room for a new central facility.

When it is completed in December 2021, the space will feature a student center as well as a library with a theater attached to it that will replace the existing Pease Auditorium. The school will bulldoze Terrell Building, the Hagemeyer Learning Resource Center and Pease Auditorium to make way for the new complex.

Charlotte-based Rodgers Builders Inc. is managing the projects, which total $113.5 million.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/la...224707445.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Beacon will lead a project called LoSo Station at the Lynx Scaleybark Station. At full buildout, the project is expected to include north of 500,000 square feet of creative office space, 30,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, 350 multifamily units and a 150-room boutique hotel.
Quote:
The 15-acre site will also include rooftop entertainment, meeting space, outdoor retail plazas and athletic amenities for tenants and residences, Beacon said. LoSo Station will also be directly on the Charlotte Rail Trail, a walking and biking trail that follows the Blue Line into uptown.
https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...d-another.html

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 12:33 AM

Taken from the Bechtler Museum this past Saturday. The statue was kinda creepy, but the balcony was nice.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:59 AM

That lot to the right of the church in those last couple pictures is the site of the new Duke Energy building, renderings expected to be released sometime after March

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 6:08 PM

North End / Noda / Sugar Creek

^^^^ last surface lot on South Tryon in uptown!

South End has completely changed in the last 10+ years due to the light rail. And now they are trying to do the same to North End/Noda along the newly blue line extension

Projects planned by Flywheel Group on North Tryon

NoDa Greenway District

Quote:
Dubbed the Greenway District, a 75-acre transit-oriented development built on the industrial space between the NoDa community and North Tryon Street will incorporate mixed-use projects with the LYNX Blue Line Extension and XCLT trail system.
Quote:
The build-out will be a $300M to $400M project with 2,600 residential units, 200K SF of retail and 600K SF of office. Plans for plazas and other recreational areas are included in 25 acres of green space. Although Kuhn is not ready to name other partners in the development, a residential project announcement is coming soon.
Quote:
He expects to break ground in 2018 and finish in five to seven years. Once completed, the Greenway District will connect the University area, South End, Uptown and NoDa.
https://www.bisnow.com/charlotte/new...medium=Browser

https://www.flywheelgrp.com/projects

Quote:
The Exchange
A planned $110MM mixed-use development will be anchored by ground floor retail overlooking the Greenway, office space with stunning views of the Charlotte skyline, and for sale condominiums, apartments and condos in two phases.

Exchange NoDa is a fully entitled transit-oriented mixed-use development, uniquely positioned with direct access to the light rail, NoDa, the new Cross-Charlotte Trail Greenway and major East-West street connection along Matheson Bridge.

Quote:
The Guild
A 3.3-acre site located a few hundred feet from the NoDa's 36th Street Station along the Charlotte's Blue Line light rail, the Guild also has direct exposure to the Greenway.

Quote:
The Village
The largest developable tract in NoDa, The Village will create an entirely new neighborhood in NoDa along the Greenway, with direct access to NoDa's 36th Street Station, via a new extension to Philemon Road.

Quote:
NoDa 3536
A 1.5-acre site, located between the 36th Street Station on the light rail and the historic center of NoDa, this project will become an integral part of the NoDa neighborhood.

Sugar Creek Station Town Center

Station House
Quote:
Along Charlotte's Blue Line light rail extension, Station House is situated at the Sugar Creek Station stop, approximately halfway between UNC-Charlotte and Uptown Charlotte. Planned for a mixed-use Sugar Creek Town Center development, including offices, retail, residential and hospitality opportunities.

Trail House
Quote:
Also located at the Sugar Creek Station stop, along Charlotte's Blue Line light rail extension, Trailhead is planned for Sugar Creek Station Town Center development, to include mixed uses such as climbing gym, public market, creative offices, and restaurants.

Long term vision...just outside the I-277 loop
Quote:
Queens Park
A grass roots effort to convert a 220-acre rail yard along North Tryon into a 'Central Park' for the city of Charlotte. A proposal to develop this public space for recreation, education, cultural programs and civic events, Queens Park would serve as a bridge connecting the surrounding neighborhoods to Charlotte’s $1.2B light rail extension. Flywheel Group continues to promote interest and attract partnerships for this initiative.

Same area that UNC Charlotte architectural students did an assignment on...https://ui.uncc.edu/display/charlott...p-old-railyard

Map of The Railyard project from UNC Charlotte College of Arts + Architecture urban design students. North Tryon Street is at the top of the map, Brevard Street and the Blue Line Extension at the bottom, and Matheson Street on the right.

Last edited by Rhodium; Feb 2, 2019 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 5:06 PM

This would be huge (and needed) for Charlotte.

Though, I wouldn't go as far as saying its a "Central Park" as its more of a neighborhood/development with a little more green space and a new park. The pedestrian-friendly aspect of a community for bikers and whatnot would be part of a much needed shift for Charlotte, which is overly car-reliant, with very few true walkable communities available.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
This would be huge (and needed) for Charlotte.

Though, I wouldn't go as far as saying its a "Central Park" as its more of a neighborhood/development with a little more green space and a new park. The pedestrian-friendly aspect of a community for bikers and whatnot would be part of a much needed shift for Charlotte, which is overly car-reliant, with very few true walkable communities available.

In the description, it mentioned nothing about residential...just public space for recreation, education, cultural programs and civic events. I only posted that map to illustrate the study area. Those pretty renderings in the link are work of students for class assignment So we could still end up with a big park...possibly as a replacement for Marshall Park.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 2:08 AM

Either way, it'll be awesome and a hugely awesome project for Charlotte. Some development that spreads uptown to the north would be incredible. Imagine that skyline then

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:33 PM
Everywhere all at once

Only because I don't want to get myself too excited, how realistic is the railyard project? Or perhaps I should say, is this more a proposal or actually a vision? It appears like it originated as a UNC Architecture school project, which leaves me wondering

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
Only because I don't want to get myself too excited, how realistic is the railyard project? Or perhaps I should say, is this more a proposal or actually a vision? It appears like it originated as a UNC Architecture school project, which leaves me wondering
Definitely more of a vision than anything that is expected to happen. Now that the blue line is running north of Uptown the disconnect between gentrifying areas and others that are seeing less of the TOD benefit is obvious and in part due to this rail yard. Though nothing tangible much less on this scale has been proposed. It would be nice though!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:58 PM

Yes, it is a vision right now but as mentioned before the Flywheel group is trying to attract partnerships for this initiative.

Imo the city should buy the land and just plant trees so 20 years from now we will have a wooded park.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 7:32 PM

I don't think the idea is too far-fetched. When they added light rail on South Blvd, Southend boomed. With the way Charlotte is growing, I could easily see their being enough demand for that to happen again to the Northend once the rail is build.

Personally, I applaud Charlotte thinking bigger like this and trying to encourage density around transit. And to also add in parks and greenspace is so important as the city grows.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:01 PM
Posh

Charlotte gets another mega-bank headquarters!

BB&T and SunTrust announce $66 billion merger, creating the sixth-largest US bank
Quote:
Two of the largest US regional banks are joining forces in a bid to compete with the nation's biggest players.

BB&T and SunTrust on Thursday announced a $66 billion merger, forming the sixth-largest US bank based on assets and deposits.

"It's an extraordinarily attractive financial proposition that provides the scale needed to compete and win in the rapidly evolving world of financial services," BB&T CEO Kelly King said in a statement.

The combined company will operate under a new name, though the banks have not yet decided what it will be called. Its headquarters will be in Charlotte, North Carolina, but the bank will also have significant operations in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and Atlanta.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 7:34 PM

^could imagine another trophy tower in the pipeline eventually for this. our loss is your gain!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 7:47 PM

While it’s sad to see a headquarters leave from Winston, I’d rather it leave and go to Charlotte than leave the state. This calls for a new headquarters tower!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_villg View Post
While it’s sad to see a headquarters leave from Winston, I’d rather it leave and go to Charlotte than leave the state. This calls for a new headquarters tower!
I'm very familiar with this deal. Actually, this merger will result in fewer jobs. And BB&T will remain in their downtown tower for the duration of their lease. They are sensitive to the loss of jobs in the other cities and they've always been a comparatively more frugal (i.e. less flashy) bank than their larger competitors, going back to John Allison's tenure. Look for a future decision on their actual permanent HQ city in about 2-3 years. That's where incentives b/n Atlanta, Charlotte, and even Miami will be brought into the competition. As for now, Charlotte is their HQ... but no guarantees it will stay there. They just want to ease through the regulatory approval phase.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations