HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 11:02 AM
New Yorker for life

^ I liked that as well. The ferry ride is such a short trip, that wait for it is a minor annoyance, but it is one.

( September 8, 2013 )

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 2:26 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 7, 2013 at 2:37 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 1:23 PM

I ride the S.I. Ferry quite often and recently I've been taking notice of Governor's Island. Two tourists even noticed and asked me what was being built there.

I must say, the pace of progress has been astounding in the past two months. I'll try to grab some pictures next time so you can see it with BK or Manhattan in the background.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 3:32 PM
New Yorker for life

I was intending to go to the preview last weekend, but couldn't make it. The city also had another preview at the new Freshkills megapark.

But together with the Brooklyn Bridge Park, and all of the other new parks being developed on the waterfront, there will be no shortage of activity and recreational spaces for New Yorkers. And the city of over 8 million people could use every bit.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 2:55 PM
New Yorker for life

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6982

Island Lord
Governors Island in New York Harbor awards leases to three tenants.

December 10, 2013
Nicole Anderson

Quote:
Governors Island, the once sleepy military base, has been evolving rapidly in the last five years—transforming into a hub of cultural activity, educational facilities, and lush parkland. And now, the next phase of the $260 million redevelopment plan will add a mix of spa services, classrooms, and artist studios. Last December, the Trust for Governors Island issued a request for proposals seeking ideas for creative, educational, or commercial uses for over 40 historic structures, which had previously provided residential quarters, administrative offices, and other communal functions. And while the exteriors of these 19th and early-mid 20th century wood and brick buildings are landmarked, the interiors are not, and can be renovated to accommodate a variety of tenants with different spatial requirements.

After considering 15 proposals, the Trust announced the selection of its three finalists last week, two of which already occupy space within the island’s historic buildings: Lower Manhattan Cultural Council (LMCC), Quadratec Spa, and the Urban Assembly New York Harbor School (Harbor School). These tenants will move into five buildings, and take over only 30 percent of the historic district, leaving much of the area open for further redevelopment.

“Governors Island is a unique shared public resource for all New Yorkers. Now, with the completion of the first phase of the park and announcement of new tenants, the island is fulfilling its potential as a lively year round destination,” said Trust president Leslie Koch. “These tenants will bring new recreational educational and cultural activity and much needed resources to the Island.”

The Quadratec Spa will take over three historic buildings, which will include indoor facilities, saunas, a light café, and outdoor pools with panoramic views of Manhattan.

Next door, LMCC, a non-profit dedicated to arts and culture, will occupy all of Building 110.
The organization already operates over 20 studios and exhibition spaces in the building, and now plans to build additional studios, a digital media lab, more gallery space, and a screening room.

For over three years ago, the Urban Assembly New York Harbor School (Harbor School) has lived in Building 550. Now the public high school, which fittingly offers a curriculum based on environmental conservation and water-related issues, has the green light to take over Building 555, the 25,000 square foot, former Coast Guard and Army structure. This new expansion will enable the school to grow its student body from 435 to 755 students.

The Trust is also in negotiations with CIEE Global Campus—an organization providing international education and exchange programs—to retrofit two existing structures—Building 12 and Pershing Hall—into classrooms and dormitories for over 250 international students.

As Governors Island transitions from a seasonal to a year-round destination, the Trust will do away with the free ferry rides and charge a $2 fare on weekdays and weekend afternoons to help subsidize operations.

Tenants are slated to begin construction in 2014 and move into their new quarters by 2016. Over time, the Trust plans on releasing more RFPs, and introducing new programmatic uses and redevelopment plans to the 172-acre island.

A sauna at the planned Quadratec Spa.

Arts non-profit LMCC will expand at Building 110.

Rendering of the proposed CIEE Global Campus that could repurpose Building 12 and Pershing Hall

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 3:58 PM
Registered Ugly

A sauna with windows...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 7:33 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Making Way for The Hills
Posted on January 8, 2014 by lquint

Quote:
We said goodbye today to the firehouse on the south island as construction continues
with The Hills project. Neither the chill nor the ice-carpeted site hindered the demolition, which began
this morning. Two of the hills, Discovery Hill and Outlook Hill, will slope down and meet each other
where the station used to stand. This is the first demolition since the implosion of building 877 and is
another milestone towards completing the Park and Public Space Master Plan.

The old coast guard firehouse was the base for FDNY operations on Governors Island since 2004, but
not to worry, the FDNY has a new base of operations in the Island Warehouse District.

The clearing of the firehouse will open up needed space for The Hills project.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 12:26 AM

2 days ago

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 7:21 PM

A (not-so) brief overview of the island's history:

Video Link

The Island opens to public tomorrow. Here's my preview of the under construction portion in its current state:

Video Link

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 11:02 AM
New Yorker for life

So much to do...I've got to get over there and get some updates.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 1:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
As Governors Island transitions from a seasonal to a year-round destination, the Trust will do away with the free ferry rides and charge a $2 fare on weekdays and weekend afternoons to help subsidize operations.
Too bad. This is a another good excuse to never visit the island again.

The only reason I went to Governors Island once was because the trip was free and maybe because that was the first time going there. Its too bad though that I found "picnicking" boring and the biking-around-the island lame. Maybe it has good views of the Lower Manhattan skyline but I don't remember since I wasn't interested in skyscrapers then.

Maybe I should visit the island one more time ....

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 4:48 AM

What? They plan on charging us for the ferry?
That blows, the fact we got a free ride was the main draw to overcome the hassle of getting there.
It's a great park though, looking forward to seeing the new southern half

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 2:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Too bad. This is a another good excuse to never visit the island again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4f View Post
What? They plan on charging us for the ferry?
That blows, the fact we got a free ride was the main draw to overcome the hassle of getting there.

Really??? With the whole of Governors Island, and what will be an amazing part of New York available, we're bitchin about a $2 ferry ride? That's less than the cost of the subway, and I'm sure the crowds that continue to surge the island won't mind paying it.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Really??? With the whole of Governors Island, and what will be an amazing part of New York available, we're bitchin about a $2 ferry ride? That's less than the cost of the subway, and I'm sure the crowds that continue to surge the island won't mind paying it.
Exactly what I thought. I would only go over there maybe once or twice a year anyways. (That is if I lived in New York)

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 5:38 PM

I'm glad the ferry isn't free and I wish they would charge even more. Charging for transport will keep more litter-dropping undesirables out and make the island a more pleasant experience.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Not that it was an exciting area to begin with. One can go to their local park and "enjoy" all the activities this island offers.

Picnic? Go to your neighborhood park.
Riding a bike? Do that on the bike paths all over Manhattan Island.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 7:52 PM

Are you really complaining about more parkland in New York City?

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 3:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Not that it was an exciting area to begin with. One can go to their local park and "enjoy" all the activities this island offers.

Picnic? Go to your neighborhood park.
Riding a bike? Do that on the bike paths all over Manhattan Island.
No - Governors Island is and will offer a completely different experience than any "local" park. And your logic is ridiculous. I can "enjoy" a nice movie at home, but sometimes I want to go to a theater to see one. I can also "enjoy" a nice meal at home, but guess what - sometimes I want to go out to a restaurant and enjoy the experience there.

You really have no basis for complaint. My only advice to you is to stay away. But if you still want to go, and the $2 fare is a problem, my advice to you and anybody else complaining about it - learn how to swim.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 10:33 PM

Yeah, I don't know the place, but I think that the fact that you can go there and enjoy the view of the skyline, the Statue of Liberty and the Bay is just enough reason to go there. Also it has the historic buildings and forts, plus when they finish the park, it looks like it will be pretty fine.

And I guess riding a bike there, with the views and the water is more enjoyable and less stressful than doing it in Manhattan bike paths, where even if you don't have to fight with traffic that much, still you have to cross each street, etc.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 10:45 PM

Will be going here soon to take on the great views of the skyline thats for sure!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development