HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 10:18 PM

They should build a subway connection to the 1 Train from Governor's Island, then redevelop the Southern part as an enormous and affordable residential neighborhood. Bill the developer for the extension then give them unlimited FAR. Mandate that whatever is built has to be able to withstand a 20-foot storm surge, and I'm sure we will get something extremely innovative.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 3:33 AM
Mr. Technology

I like your idea of expanding the #1 subway line, however -- how would such an effort be funded so that it wouldn't face years of delays?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 6:22 PM
Show me the blueprints

A 1 line through sharing the Brooklyn-Battery tunnel would have been the best case scenario back when the B-B was built, too bad about the lack of foresight. That being said, since the South Ferry station is facing an uncertain future with rebuilding pegged at half a billion, would it not be the right time to use the station as a launch point for a TBM to extend to Governors and then make the leap in to badly underserved Red Hook with a terminus at Smith/9 with the F and G? Talk about jumpstating redevelopment. With Red Hook one stop away from LM... and Governors connected by rail... holy cow the potential!!!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 8:08 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...for_a_park.php

Watch a Governors Island Building Make Way for a Park

March 4, 2013, by Sara Polsky

Quote:
As part of its overall makeover, Governors Island is getting a new 33-acre park. (Proposals from developers are due in 10 short days.) Before the park can be built, a few buildings on the southern part of Governors Island must be demolished. Up last week: Building 855. The Governors Island blog has photos of the building coming down; the ramp that allows the excavators to reach the building's top floors is made out of the debris from other nearby buildings. Governors Island: it's all about recycling.

http://govislandblog.com/2013/03/04/...-building-855/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 5:10 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
A 1 line through sharing the Brooklyn-Battery tunnel would have been the best case scenario back when the B-B was built, too bad about the lack of foresight. That being said, since the South Ferry station is facing an uncertain future with rebuilding pegged at half a billion, would it not be the right time to use the station as a launch point for a TBM to extend to Governors and then make the leap in to badly underserved Red Hook with a terminus at Smith/9 with the F and G? Talk about jumpstating redevelopment. With Red Hook one stop away from LM... and Governors connected by rail... holy cow the potential!!!
You know what?
That idea really does work!

I never really gave much thought about Red Hook, but I agree -- there really is tremendous potential for the community and the link to Governors Island.

Suddenly, you have solved so many issues with high speed rail to/from Governors Island between Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn.

The only obstacle is a direct path to Prospect Park once you arrive at Red Hook, so I'd like to see the subway extend further (if possible).

Last edited by TechTalkGuy; Mar 5, 2013 at 5:20 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 4:27 PM

Sorry, but you won't be able to extend the (1) train. It's way too close to the water. The approaches would not be steep enough for any tunnel to go under the water.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 6:05 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Sorry, but you won't be able to extend the (1) train. It's way too close to the water. The approaches would not be steep enough for any tunnel to go under the water.
How far back would they need to tunnel further?

I would think if you begin at Canal Street, then the descent wouldn't be noticeable.

When I think of how the F train serves Roosevelt Island, we know it is possible.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
How far back would they need to tunnel further?

I would think if you begin at Canal Street, then the descent wouldn't be noticeable.

When I think of how the F train serves Roosevelt Island, we know it is possible.
It will require the loss of South Ferry which can never be replaced, because that section of tunnel would be on an incline.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 2:54 AM

There are a few problems with your views.

1. MTA is not going to waste more money destroying South Ferry station to make way for a 1 line connection off the island. They're going to swallow their pride and repair the damages, otherwise it's a wasted investment.

2. The distance between Manhattan and Roosevelt Island, as opposed to the distance between Manhattan and Governor's Island is pretty clear. That was a bad comparison.

3. The point of a subway station is that it's supposed to generate revenue through passenger traffic, based on either tourism, or residents living nearby. On a regular basis, Governor's island would be a ghost town. This is why subway stations like Aqueduct Racetrack remain closed except for race days.

4. In actuality, New York harbor is pretty shallow. The North River Tunnels and the PATH tubes, as well as the Lincoln and Holland tunnels need not dive more than 80 feet below sea level because the ground is right there. This is why modern naval aircraft carriers cannot enter the harbor during Fleet Week (they could, but it's risky. The Intrepid already faced that same problem).

Besides, one can reach Lower manhattan just fine by taking the F to Jay Street-MetroTech and transferring to an A, C, or R.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
There are a few problems with your views.

1. MTA is not going to waste more money destroying South Ferry station to make way for a 1 line connection off the island. They're going to swallow their pride and repair the damages, otherwise it's a wasted investment.

2. The distance between Manhattan and Roosevelt Island, as opposed to the distance between Manhattan and Governor's Island is pretty clear. That was a bad comparison.

3. The point of a subway station is that it's supposed to generate revenue through passenger traffic, based on either tourism, or residents living nearby. On a regular basis, Governor's island would be a ghost town. This is why subway stations like Aqueduct Racetrack remain closed except for race days.

4. In actuality, New York harbor is pretty shallow. The North River Tunnels and the PATH tubes, as well as the Lincoln and Holland tunnels need not dive more than 80 feet below sea level because the ground is right there. This is why modern naval aircraft carriers cannot enter the harbor during Fleet Week (they could, but it's risky. The Intrepid already faced that same problem).

Besides, one can reach Lower manhattan just fine by taking the F to Jay Street-MetroTech and transferring to an A, C, or R.
It's still not going to happen. A bridge connecting Governor's Island to Brooklyn Bridge Park with light rail would be a better idea that a 1 train extension.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 4:13 AM
Mr. Technology

Listen, I am as excited over the possibilities as everyone here!

The fact is that the cost of the engineering involved would obviously be a major factor.

I agree that (for the most part) that Governors Island would be a ghost town and that the subway extension would basically transport (for the most part) folks between Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn.

We already have alternative subway lines that offer that service right now.
It's the connection to Governors Island here.

As much as I would prefer a subway line extension, I feel that the Staten Island Ferry could serve Governors Island, but would make the trip to/from Staten Island much longer and would not be popular with most of the public.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 4:13 PM

Building 877, aka the Cunningham Apartments was imploded yesterday:

Video Link

Video Link

It'll be parkland.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 11:20 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

A rare sight to see a building implosion in NYC.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 11:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
A rare sight to see a building implosion in NYC.
The last major implosion was in 2001, not long before 9/11 (those tall gas towers), which led to a second of confusion when I awoke to footage of the towers collapsing.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...sEnabled=false

See it! In just 20 seconds, massive, controlled blast decimates empty Governor's Island building
250 pounds of explosives took down the 11-story building, which once housed members of the U.S. Coast Guard

By Simone Weichselbaum
June 9, 2013

Quote:
A thunderous blast decimated a gutted, 11-story apartment building on Governors Island early Sunday, marking the city's first controlled implosion since 2001. It took 20 seconds and 250 pounds of explosives to bring down the 45-year-old structure at 7:36 a.m. Before 1996, the building housed 165 members of the U.S. Coast Guard and their families.

Another quick view...

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 1:14 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 3:29 AM
New Yorker for life

A little older...

governors_island

After implosion...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Looking forward to this...

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/67016

Ground Broken On West 8–Designed “Hill Park” on Governors Island

July 25, 2013
Nicole Anderson

Quote:
In just a few years, visitors will stand atop an 80-foot-tall hill on Governors Island and enjoy sweeping vistas of New York Harbor, the Statue of Liberty, and the Manhattan skyline. Today Mayor Bloomberg broke ground on The Hills, a new 11-acre stretch of green space, that is part of Governors Island Park, and one feature of landscape architecture firm West 8′s expansive 30-acre Public Space Master Plan that was first unveiled in 2010.

The Hills will, as its name so clearly suggests, will consist of a series of rolling hills: a 25-foot-tall hill offering views of of the island and city skyline; a 40-foot hill, dubbed Slide Hill, featuring 4 slides; a 60-foot hill called Discovery Hill that will exhibit site-specific art installations; and lastly, Outlook Hill, peaking at 80-ft and providing 360-degree panoramic views of New York City.

The sloping park will be made of debris from old parking lots and from the recent demolition of the island’s vacant coast guard apartment buildings. These materials will be recycled and turned into fill that will form the center of the Hills.

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/67049

NYC Passes Zoning For Commercial Development on Governors Island

July 25, 2013
Nicole Anderson

Quote:
Yesterday City Council green lighted new zoning to allow commercial development in 40 historic structures on Governors Island. This change will introduce restaurants and retail establishments to the sleepy, mostly park-filled island, and also help to generate revenue for the upkeep and operations of the island’s parkland.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 7:46 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
A little older...

governors_island

This picture reminds me of those old dreary photographs of the original WTC construction from back in the 1970s.

I really like the progress of this project, I don't check this thread often, so I didn't realize it was getting completed so quickly.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 8:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

A ferry system similar to what they have for the local tourists and/or Staten Island would be more then enough. Extending the "1 train" would be too costly. Unless you start building some sort of small CBD or residential superblock on the island with a capacity of 50,000 or more, I don't see the economic value in extending a train.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 11:43 PM
BANNED

The cable-car/elevated tram idea sounded interesting to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development