HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 8:43 PM
Show me the blueprints

Lovely.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 2:03 AM

Does anyone know how long they anticipate this entire thing to take? Very curious about timetables, phases, etc.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:46 PM

With $847 million raised, mid-fall groundbreaking set for Obama Center

Quote:
With more than $800 million in commitments and cash on hand, the Obama Foundation intends to begin construction of the long-planned Obama Presidential Center in Jackson Park by mid-fall, officials said today.

In a meeting with Crain’s editorial board, foundation Chair Valerie Jarrett and construction chief Lori Healey said that, with only routine city building permits yet to be obtained, land clearance work on the 18-acre site will begin “around Sept. 1,” with actual construction perhaps two months later but definitely before winter.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...t-obama-center

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Does anyone know how long they anticipate this entire thing to take? Very curious about timetables, phases, etc.
I was just wondering when they expect to finish and open assuming construction actually begins by later this year "definitely before winter."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:35 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
There's underground parking so I would expect 2-2.5 years? That's about how long the MSI garage project took back in the 90s. All that underground work takes a long time and has to be completed before the building can start rising (barring some kind of top-down method like OCS). Expect to see a slurry wall bathtub.

Actually I looked at the PD again and it's not as extensive as I thought. There's only one underground level and it's not that deep, around 15'... they can probably just dig a big pit and backfill it when they're done.

I'm not sure about the roadwork project which is totally separate and being managed by IDOT.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:59 PM

The article says that the center should be open in four years. They were saying that in the context of Mr. and Mrs. Obama being in Chicago more frequently during the next four years as the center is built and then opens.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 4:03 PM
TL;DR

4 years? I swear, construction gets slower and more expensive every year.

Maybe they're gonna "groundbreak" in the fall but wait until IDOT finishes all the roadwork before they can close Cornell and start construction on the building?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 4:26 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

The Obama's wasted a lot of years by insisting on the site that they knew would be tied up in courts and appeals. Now it may not be done until after two subsequent administrations come and go.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 4:40 PM

Open in 4 years doesn't mean the actual construction is going to take 4 years. I imagine that with a lot of materials for example for the center itself, it will take a long time to even get those moved in and in order before it can be opened. I'm sure there's a lot of other considerations like that.

There are new landscaping and outdoor things too, which I assume cannot all realistically be done year round. Im.curious how long the main building itself will take to build. Can't be more than 1.5 years can it?

Reminds of me the library here in Long Island City (NYC) which was under construction technically for YEARS before opening less than 1.5 years ago finally.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
The Obama's wasted a lot of years by insisting on the site that they knew would be tied up in courts and appeals. Now it may not be done until after two subsequent administrations come and go.
Seems worth it considering this is the far superior site?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:18 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

It would be nice if some of Bidens infrastructure money could extend the Green Line to Jackson's Park again.

Also be nice if it could at least get a Clinton Street subway started.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:25 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
It would be nice if some of Bidens infrastructure money could extend the Green Line to Jackson's Park again.

Yeah, if it were up to me I'd jog up to the Midway and find some cheap way of running through the Midway that doesn't look terrible (partially below-grade, some nice-looking embankment, replacing one of the roads, etc.) so it can (indirectly) better serve UChicago. But that's rather selfish of me .

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

Off topic, but looks like $85 B proposed for public transit. Doesn't sound like a blockbuster.
Quote:
Biden would also invest $85 billion to modernize existing transit and help agencies expand their systems to meet demand. This would double federal funding for public transit.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/31/polit...ner/index.html

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Off topic, but looks like $85 B proposed for public transit. Doesn't sound like a blockbuster.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/31/polit...ner/index.html
I imagine that a big chunk of that is going to go to cities like NYC, Chicago, Phialdelphia, etc. It would be nice though to see some places like Dallas get more for it but who knows.

Even if Chicago got *only* $5B - $10B of this, it can still be used for a lot of great things. it would be nice to see some sort of lines cover ground not covered today along various wider streets like Western, North, Ashland, etc extending south. Probably could do some sort of street car deal - maybe on streets not as wide (who knows).

Seeing the Green Line extended back to Jackson Park like it once was would be cool. I actually imagine this would be a priority for the Obama Library to try and get done, but who knows..

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 12:02 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Yeah, if it were up to me I'd jog up to the Midway and find some cheap way of running through the Midway that doesn't look terrible (partially below-grade, some nice-looking embankment, replacing one of the roads, etc.) so it can (indirectly) better serve UChicago. But that's rather selfish of me .
Anything less than a subway in this scenario would be tragic. Speaking of being selfish, I wish there was a green line spur at Cermak running down Cottage to HP.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 12:25 AM
Show me the blueprints

I have a lot of mixed feelings about the South Side L in general. IMO its questionable the '90s rehab of the structure and stations was the best course of action. I would have explored the possibility of demolishing the elevated and putting a from-scratch line (from about 26th southward) with fewer upfront stations(but with r.o.w. accommodations for future) in a trench with a subway leg to Jackson Park. The Englewood branch could have remained (w/ a connection to 61st yard) until future funding was available for a similar treatment. I know it's "out-there" but a lot of "out-there" ideas are actually a better way of doing things.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 12:56 AM

I think Joe might have his Library planned, built, and opened here in Wilmington before Barry! (slight jab, but I really hope this finally gets going).

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Even if Chicago got *only* $5B - $10B of this, it can still be used for a lot of great things. it would be nice to see some sort of lines cover ground not covered today along various wider streets like Western, North, Ashland, etc extending south. Probably could do some sort of street car deal - maybe on streets not as wide
$5-$10B doesn’t even cover the capital backlog of the CTA, and Metra would also get a large share. The Red Line extension is probably the only major new project in the queue that’s even being considered.

https://rtachicago.org/finance-manag...apital-funding

“Even at $8.4 billion for 2020‐2024, this falls well short of the region’s projected $30 billion in transit capital needs over the next decade. However, Rebuild Illinois funds help the capital program get closer to the required annual investment, with an average of $1.674 billion in funding per year.”

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 3:15 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by southoftheloop View Post
Seems worth it considering this is the far superior site?
Ultimately it is a matter of opinion and priorities but I could give a lengthy reply as to why it is very much not the superior site. Even many of those eager to see it in Jackson Park would acknowledge that the Washington Park site likely had more upside from a cost and legal basis, visibility, transit access, urban renewal, and symbolic standpoint. All of which favored the Washington Park site.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Ultimately it is a matter of opinion and priorities but I could give a lengthy reply as to why it is very much not the superior site. Even many of those eager to see it in Jackson Park would acknowledge that the Washington Park site likely had more upside from a cost and legal basis, visibility, transit access, urban renewal, and symbolic standpoint. All of which favored the Washington Park site.
On the urban renewal and symbolic standpoint, Obama just has some common sense. Not to mention having two major attractions on one campus lifts the stature and attendance of both.

I’m sorry, but whoever peddled the idea that museums can reviltalize poverty-stricken neighborhoods like Washington Park was full of BS. They’re not big sources of employment and wealth. Museums have the most impact on neighborhoods with questionable reputations but otherwise strong amenities that are reaching a tipping point.

You have ONE opportunity to give visitors from across the world an impression of the South side different from the stereotype on TV; the city was never putting the library in an area that confirms the stereotypes. It was always going to go to a neighborhood by the lake where visitors from out of town could imagine themselves living or investing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development