HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:40 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
I agree that Chicago should be at the forefront of architecture and design, but the only firm that seems to take any chances is Studio Gang, love them or hate them. bKL gets lots of points too for consistently seamless projects, though nothing that really pushes design forward nationally. By no means am I singling out Chicago. Most of the stuff going up in NYC, in either Hudson Yards or on 57th, is soulless at best and lavishly garish shlock for newly minted billionaires at worst.

So much of this just comes down to a lack of vision and a lack of demand for it. Our culture at large is fundamentally based on quick and easy stimulation and cheap imitation. I don't even know if its anyone's fault. Globalization has just made it too easy to be lazy.
Absolutely. Usually I would blame the lack of innovation of design due to financial constraints, but obviously this project has the money to do basically whatever it wanted design-wise.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Did the architects officially announce that was their intention?
they don't need to "officially announce" it because it's so blindingly obvious to anyone with an architecture background.

will the general public pick-up on it? probably not, but that's why it's fun.

BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
..Snip..
Evolution by copying China. Sure, and now all Hong Kong needs is an Empire State Building and Sears Tower clone so they can continue to evolve...
You shouldn't consider it as "copying" China. Most of the towers out there were designed by US firms. I'm proud of that. China, of late, just has the money, incentive, and albeit short-sightedness to go big the way they have. Here in the US, we build towers to make a profit. Glass boxes are profitable.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:41 PM

In the Tribune article the architects said they had an alternative proposal that took off more of the flying buttresses from the original tower, but they didn't want to make something like a taller version of the smaller tower. It'd be interesting to see it.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 8:06 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Now place this at the spire site and we should be good to go!
https://images.adsttc.com/media/imag...jpg?1441303649
Source

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Apr 17, 2018 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 8:14 PM

My immediate reaction to the building was “ooo, looks evil”. I didn’t consciously recognize that the top referenced a Gothic arch, which tells me that it succeeded beautifully.

My only complaint is the color. I wish the bronze were darker and the glass more grey. That would also help it look less like an office building from the north and south, as well as reinforce the stylistic references to the Tribune Tower.

As for similarity to East Asian skyscrapers, I think that’s unfair. I haven’t seen the bronze and such interesting crowns on those buildings, nor are they usually as slender as this tower will be. This is most definitely breaking new ground for Chicago.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
In the Tribune article the architects said they had an alternative proposal that took off more of the flying buttresses from the original tower, but they didn't want to make something like a taller version of the smaller tower. It'd be interesting to see it.
Yeah that was the alternate design that I saw and massed in my Chicago 3d model. It looked so much better!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 8:49 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
MG]
Curbed Chicago has another rendering of the base showing the Tribune Tower in the background.

Image link to larger version:
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chor...9.25.25_AM.png

-

Article:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/4/17...yscraper-hotel

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 8:58 PM

At the end of the day it may look like a Super-tall from China. But there is one difference, this Tower has neighbors! Vista, Trump, Spire Site, and Tribune Addition. Will no doubt all complement each other (we have not seen the renderings for 400 N LSD but you can imagine). Does this fit in Chicago? YES. Does this represent Chicago Architecture? NO. Not everything in Chicago has to have the same old design (big, bulky, and scary).

Any casual person will still think of the John Hancock and Sears Towers when Chicago is brought up, and that's not going to change until the next generation of humanity. Same thing with NYC. Any casual person thinks of 1 WTC, Empire State, Chrysler, instead of thew newer stuff going up.

People need to calm down with the "Chinese Tower" criticism. It fits in with the Chicago skyline. Although visually I don't think there's anything special other then the crown. The rest of the tower is mediocre.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 9:10 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Yeah that was the alternate design that I saw and massed in my Chicago 3d model. It looked so much better!
Dang. Do you remember any other details? Colors, materials, etc?

I wonder if they'll ever release the alternate design.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 9:43 PM

I think the critiquing is because alot of people expected more architecturally from this building...Yes its super-tall so for the most part we all still want it built..but with the respect of being so close to Tribune tower at least me i thought it would be something special with its design...I really would like to see there version of the Giant tribune tower alternate proposal they decided not to pick...again its a very nice design..obviously the height is amazing and wouldn't change anything about that... just wanted some more interesting design elements added to pay homage to such a magnificent structure that is tribune tower.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 9:54 PM

The detailing of the gold lines on the sides of the building are quite beautiful, now that I've spent more time looking at it. And admittedly, you'll see that angle from a lot of vantage points in the city.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 9:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This looks like it will have a great chance of being built. Sometime in 2019 is quite an aggressive time table. Add that to the mixed used nature of it ( I love the rental functionality being included). In other words, its not purely condos and I think the other functionalities will aid its success or probability in happening. The question I wonder is why the hell can't they shoot for a new tallest to the roof or to the architectural element (crown)? Maybe its to pay homage to the great Sears tower, as a sign of respect... but in hindsight, this is no time for respect!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 9:58 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Right behind the Sheraton where the Loews Hotel now stands.
Thanks

Location would of been impeccable, I just looked up the area around Loews Hotel. I see that Wacker is on the other side of the river, woops.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 10:47 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Curbed Chicago has another rendering of the base showing the Tribune Tower in the background.

Image link to larger version:
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chor...9.25.25_AM.png

-

Article:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/4/17...yscraper-hotel
Seeing the base in context with the existing low rise portion of the Tribune complex really makes you appreciate how the architects respectfully imitate the art deco styling with the new addition. Really cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
The question I wonder is why the hell can't they shoot for a new tallest to the roof or to the architectural element (crown)? Maybe its to pay homage to the great Sears tower, as a sign of respect... but in hindsight, this is no time for respect!
Lots of wealthy and well connected NIMBYs in the surrounding area. It would give them all a unifying banner of protest if this was to be the tallest building in Chicago. Being 2nd tallest somewhat shields the developers a bit from the unbridled idiot masses.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 10:54 PM

Can't really understand any NIMBY complains for this location. Who's really gonna be that impacted? People think it'll cause Michigan Avenue to be too congested, as if it's some sleepy area right now? LOL

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 11:10 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
Can't really understand any NIMBY complains for this location. Who's really gonna be that impacted? People think it'll cause Michigan Avenue to be too congested, as if it's some sleepy area right now? LOL
NIMBY's barely have enough brain matter to formulate the primitive caveman-esque grunts they use to cry about whatever new development they happen to come across. It's a miracle they show up to community meetings with their pants on.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
NIMBY's barely have enough brain matter to formulate the primitive caveman-esque grunts they use to cry about whatever new development they happen to come across. It's a miracle they show up to community meetings with their pants on.
LOL! made my day

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
Well there are these folk - serves them right for covering up the Whales !

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 12:02 AM
1st Ward

^ Lol! I had completely forgotten about that mural. I remember there being some pretty vocal feedback about that, especially for the artist. Never thought it was particularly good though, so I wasn't all that sad to see it go... unlike the 6 story red brick warehouse they ended up demoing for that condo. Would've been nice to at least preserve the facade, seeing that there isn't much of the old warehouse stock left in Streeterville.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals