HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Welcome cg177!!!!!!! So, why don't cities want shade structures over sidewalks?
Idk why. Money cost maybe? But they could make the shade structures our of solar panels. That would save money. It could add more green "roofs" on top of the shade structures too even. More plants the better imo.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 2:32 AM

If I had to take a wild guess.. imma say it has something to do with liability... like everything else lol

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 1:06 PM

Liability is exactly why local governments don't want things in the right-of-way. And in almost all jurisdictions, sidewalks of public streets are part of public right-of-way. One notable exception is Clark County, Nevada, where along the main strip the sidewalk is often privately owned. It would be interesting to see the legal docs involved with the skyway system in Minneapolis.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 5:02 PM

Gold star for me!!! Haha

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:06 PM
Modulator

A little confused on this. If this is the case, why are many projects in Downtown including overhangs (such as Link, Stewart, Block 23, etc.)? There are many, many of these. I try to walk under them as much as I can during my walk to keep from dying in the sun.

In all honesty, a pedestrian is more likely to get injured by falling tree limbs than a structure concreted into a building.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
A little confused on this. If this is the case, why are many projects in Downtown including overhangs (such as Link, Stewart, Block 23, etc.)? There are many, many of these. I try to walk under them as much as I can during my walk to keep from dying in the sun.

In all honesty, a pedestrian is more likely to get injured by falling tree limbs than a structure concreted into a building.

My guess is an few foot overhang, attached to a privately owned building, is totally different than what is being discussed... I *think* cgl77 is referring to full blown shade structures that would be installed by the city... More or less like the below:

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:19 PM

What part is confusing? People want to limit their exposure to liability but moreso don't want to spend money on something which provides no return and has maintenance costs - some things are superfluous.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
What part is confusing? People want to limit their exposure to liability but moreso don't want to spend money on something which provides no return and has maintenance costs - some things are superfluous.
Shade is not superfluous especially in a city like Phoenix. It needs to be enforced code.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Didn’t you refer to yourself as Class C apartment flipper or something like that? If so, your take on whether something is needed (like covered walkways or shade) is just an expense that you think you don’t get a return on, or “superfluous.” But don’t you expect a higher standard from those who build higher quality projects or is everything just cost?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Didn’t you refer to yourself as Class C apartment flipper or something like that? If so, your take on whether something is needed (like covered walkways or shade) is just an expense that you think you don’t get a return on, or “superfluous.” But don’t you expect a higher standard from those who build higher quality projects or is everything just cost?
Okay, I'll bite.

Having a shaded area for employees to smoke or eat/drink will probably make your leaseable space more attractive. Having a shade structure over the sidewalk to make pedestrians walking past your building has little, if any, value to tenants.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 7:11 PM

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 8:23 PM
Modulator

Quote:
I'm not even going to be dragged into a frivolous debate with you. This is why we have issues with one another. The OP never specified city-built shade structures which is why I was confused. Put a lid on your patronizing comments towards me. I'm tired of putting you on my blocked list.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 9:05 PM

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
I'm not even going to be dragged into a frivolous debate with you. This is why we have issues with one another. The OP never specified city-built shade structures which is why I was confused. Put a lid on your patronizing comments towards me. I'm tired of putting you on my blocked list.
I don't have an issue with you, just making conversation.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 1:19 PM

Where shade structures are shown in the photos, some may be wholly on private property, but it's hard to be sure. If something falls off a structure or even a tree and bonks a pedestrian on the head, and the victim is inclined to sue, the goverment entity as 'property owner' will be usually the first to have to pay out. Where a permanent structure is located in the right-of-way, an encroachment agreement and a building permit for it will have been issued by the city as well, in essence 'guaranteeing' that the structure is safe for pedestrians. Thus the city has really put its neck out. Permission for something like tables or even a tree in right-of-way can be relatively easy to revoke, as the property can be much more easily removed, if the city sees it becoming a liability. Maintenance of anything including trees in right-of-way is another headache for governments. Most public works folks I worked with wanted absolutely nothing 'private' in the right-of-way if they could get it.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 2:29 PM

I know NOTHING about is the train system in Phoenix. The different lines, depots, etc.

That line over Tempe Town lake is a popular one, correct? Wonder how trains will be rerouted as a result of the collapse etc.

Last edited by fawd; Jul 29, 2020 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 2:34 PM

Collapse?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 2:52 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Collapse?
I think Fawd meant to reply in the Transportation thread

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-so...ponse-in-tempe

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 5:42 PM

I just saw it on the news. HOLY CRAP!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
I think Fawd meant to reply in the Transportation thread

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-so...ponse-in-tempe
Oh, shit. I'm sorry. I didn't see this was already being discussed on a different thread!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest