HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
Does anyone know if the Tribune Tower East will have a public observation deck near the top to look out over the skyline and surrounding area. I think that the building should have one to compete with the Sears Tower, John Hancock Center, and the upcoming deck at the Aon Center.
Weren't you in the thread for 270 Park in NYC talking about an observation deck for that one, too? At least you are consistent in your belief that every supertall should have one.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Weren't you in the thread for 270 Park in NYC talking about an observation deck for that one, too? At least you are consistent in your belief that every supertall should have one.
His next post will say something like,

"You're right. An observation deck is more of a Shelbyville idea."

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 2:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Well, sir, there's nothin' on earth like a genuine bona-fide electrified six-car observation deck!

observation meaning "to observe"

and deck meaning "deck"

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 3:09 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Haha! Easily one of the best moments in The Simpsons looooong history. And that episode was written by Conan O'Brien!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 3:45 PM

In all seriousness, I do think an observation deck at Tribune Tower East would be a lot of fun. You would be able to see the Wednesday night fireworks from Navy Pier, both the Loop and River North skylines, the lake, and probably Michigan and definitely Indiana. It's a great location for one.

I doubt they add it, though. It's a condo building, right? I doubt the condo residents would want that.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
In all seriousness, I do think an observation deck at Tribune Tower East would be a lot of fun. You would be able to see the Wednesday night fireworks from Navy Pier, both the Loop and River North skylines, the lake, and probably Michigan and definitely Indiana. It's a great location for one.

I doubt they add it, though. It's a condo building, right? I doubt the condo residents would want that.
Agree - it's also an amazing location on Michigan avenue close to everything. I doubt they'll have one as well, but they do tend to be very profitable so I don't think it's an impossibility. Hancock tower has lots of condos + observation tower.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Agree - it's also an amazing location on Michigan avenue close to everything. I doubt they'll have one as well, but they do tend to be very profitable so I don't think it's an impossibility. Hancock tower has lots of condos + observation tower.
I wonder if one of the board posters can reach out (and politely) ask the developers what the hold up is with this tower and to get getting on with it. This is a cool tower and we all know we need a new supertall. It's for the common good (of skyscraper nerds).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
I wonder if one of the board posters can reach out (and politely) ask the developers what the hold up is with this tower and to get getting on with it. This is a cool tower and we all know we need a new supertall. It's for the common good (of skyscraper nerds).
That poster should ask about the possibility of an observation deck and looking at the John Hancock Center, which has apartments and condos. Other mixed use buildings that include condos and still have observation decks on the top floors are The Shard in London and the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. Furthermore, the Eureka Tower in Melbourne and the Q1 in Gold Coast have observation decks on the top floors despite being entirely residential otherwise.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 7:55 PM

Quote:
That poster should ask about the possibility of an observation deck and looking at the John Hancock Center, which has apartments and condos. Other mixed use buildings that include condos and still have observation decks on the top floors are The Shard in London and the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. Furthermore, the Eureka Tower in Melbourne and the Q1 in Gold Coast have observation decks on the top floors despite being entirely residential otherwise.
Bro you really, really like observation decks.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 7:56 PM

Quote:
When read in context since you're last post. But I agree that you really cant have too many ObsDecks or too much cow bell.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 8:01 PM
BANNED

Also ask them why they purposely made it shorter than the Sears. It's time Chicago got a new tallest, just add like 30 ft to this building. 7 out of the top 10 tallest buildings in New York have been built in the last decade, we can't keep hanging on to our 1970s masterpiece.

Oh and a observation deck should definitely be added.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 8:05 PM

I hate when developers purposely make buildings shorter than the tallest in the city (or when they say they do that on purpose.) Like in NYC when developers say things like not surpassing the "sYmBoLiC" height of 1 WTC. It's complete nonsense.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 10:15 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
I hate when developers purposely make buildings shorter than the tallest in the city (or when they say they do that on purpose.) Like in NYC when developers say things like not surpassing the "sYmBoLiC" height of 1 WTC. It's complete nonsense.
It was like that in Philly for a while with the city hall until the developers of Liberty One just didn't care and dwarfed it, I hope it's only a matter of time.

There's no official rule that nothing can be higher than 1WTC to my knowledge. Same with Philly, it was just kind of a de facto thing.

Quote:
Also ask them why they purposely made it shorter than the Sears. It's time Chicago got a new tallest, just add like 30 ft to this building.
My guess would be economics but when spending a little extra could get you the tallest building in Chicago that would be well worth it I would think, so I'm not sure.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
When read in context since you're last post. But I agree that you really cant have too many ObsDecks or too much cow bell.
Pretty much any tall building in Chicago built from tha late 19th century until the 1970's that drawfed anything around it had a public observation deck near the top. Examples included the Masonic Temple built in the 1890's, the Montgomery Ward Tower, Wrigley Building, Tribune Tower, Chicago Board of Trade Building (1930), Prudential Center, Kemper Building, and of course the John Hancock Center and the Sears Tower. So an observation deck near the top of Tribune Tower East should be a no brainer.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
My guess would be economics but when spending a little extra could get you the tallest building in Chicago that would be well worth it I would think, so I'm not sure.
On this forum we are often reminded that most developers don't care about height, but the current design has a fair amount of vanity height, suggesting this is one of those minority of developers who do care. I find it hard to believe that 1422 ft is economically justifiable but 1451 ft (i.e. 1 ft taller than Sears) is not. So my hunch is that the developer does want tall, but feels that exceeding Sears would be "too tall", as if the latter were something sacred. I agree with MAC123 that such misguided reverence is a shame.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 2:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
On this forum we are often reminded that most developers don't care about height, but the current design has a fair amount of vanity height, suggesting this is one of those minority of developers who do care. I find it hard to believe that 1422 ft is economically justifiable but 1451 ft (i.e. 1 ft taller than Sears) is not. So my hunch is that the developer does want tall, but feels that exceeding Sears would be "too tall", as if the latter were something sacred. I agree with MAC123 that such misguided reverence is a shame.
Exactly, everybody's afraid to eclipse the Sears in height. Make's absolutely no sense, having the new tallest building in the city would instantly make it a landmark and an attraction. Other cities are constantly breaking their previous highest (NY, LA, Toronto, Philly, etc.) yet Chicago keeps downsizing smh.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 1:14 PM

To be fare it is easier to set new height records in a lot of other cities than here and New York. If it is to only beat Sears by a few ft you think anyone outside of height nerds really cares? So does not really matter to me that it is slightly shorter. Still looks great and in a great location. This would the icing on the cake for this cycle.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 1:52 PM

New to the forum here, back in November Chicago Yimby mentioned that there would likely be an update on this tower once all contruction ended at the original Tribune Tower redevelopment. I think we can expect something to coincide when the first move-ins happen.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 5:13 PM
TL;DR

I went past the lower entrance off Lower Michigan a few days ago... holy moly, it's a night and day improvement over the dank hellscape that it used to be. It's clean, well-lit, and inviting! They even put a dog park down there!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 6:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I went past the lower entrance off Lower Michigan a few days ago... holy moly, it's a night and day improvement over the dank hellscape that it used to be. It's clean, well-lit, and inviting! They even put a dog park down there!
Pioneer court?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals