HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 11:37 PM
BANNED

This will be a marvel to look at on the architectural boat tour.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 12:00 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
This will be a marvel to look at on the architectural boat tour, IF it gets built.
Fixed that for you.

As far as timelines, anything you might have heard in the past can be thrown out the window at this point.

Covid kinda sorta changed everything everywhere.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 12:56 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Fixed that for you.

As far as timelines, anything you might have heard in the past can be thrown out the window at this point.

Yea, it's not uncommon for construction timetables to get pushed back, especially nowadays. If we don't hear anything all year / several years I'd start to lose hope.

I understand the pessimism but also remain (a little) optimistic for a couple reasons.

1. The people behind this project are experienced and legitimate, unlike say... The Chicago Spire

2. Sales for Vista and OCS and other condos seem to be doing pretty well

3. You'd think anyone with a site like this on the river would seize the opportunity and build as high as possible

Maybe it'll just get downsized, not cancelled, worst case scenario.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Fixed that for you.

And now we're already onto the affects of the Russian sanctions which will dominate global economics and markets for probably years to come. I think many are underestimating their impacts and cascade of of effects they may result in.

These massive projects were not anticipating $130 (to $200) a barrel oil. Copper prices have soared and steel is starting to crank too. Some of these things are 2x and 3x what they were when some of these major projects were proposed. This against the backdrop of a sliding stock market which will probably hurt demand. I'm not an expert but if the profit margins were already thin on any of these projects they are much less feasible now. If nothing else, the massive uncertainty about how this will play out will probably freeze any major investments like this until there is some more clarity.

Maybe I'm pessimistic but as far as major projects like this go, I think we're going to have to accept what has shovels in the ground for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
And now we're already onto the affects of the Russian sanctions which will dominate global economics and markets for probably years to come. I think many are underestimating their impacts and cascade of of effects they may result in.

These massive projects were not anticipating $130 (to $200) a barrel oil. Copper prices have soared and steel is starting to crank too. Some of these things are 2x and 3x what they were when some of these major projects were proposed. This against the backdrop of a sliding stock market which will probably hurt demand. I'm not an expert but if the profit margins were already thin on any of these projects they are much less feasible now. If nothing else, the massive uncertainty about how this will play out will probably freeze any major investments like this until there is some more clarity.

Maybe I'm pessimistic but as far as major projects like this go, I think we're going to have to accept what has shovels in the ground for the foreseeable future.
You may be right, nobody knows. But I doubt if they were serious about starting early 2022 that they'd be just pricing steal or other materials now. Like the futures market, wouldn't that have been priced and locked in a year ago, if not longer? I would think, but idk.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post

The Russian economy is about 75% the size of the economy of Texas in terms of GDP. I think you're seeing two things in the news - Russia and inflation - and conflating the two. They aren't closely related.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 9:29 PM

costs may be up due to many factors, but don't forget the appreciation in the chicago re market is 15-25% annually right now

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 10:56 PM

I suppose I’m amazed, but hanging out on mostly Sunbelt city pages, I’ve seen zero concerns about the current event’s impact on construction.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 5:46 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
costs may be up due to many factors, but don't forget the appreciation in the chicago re market is 15-25% annually right now
15 is a little over average nationally, 25 on the other hand though...

Quote:
I suppose I’m amazed, but hanging out on mostly Sunbelt city pages, I’ve seen zero concerns about the current event’s impact on construction.
I could see a little bit of a correlation mostly due to the effected global economy but it didn't really cross my mind aside from that.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 3:58 AM

Unhappy

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by build_tall_chicago View Post
Not what it should look like... it's a really old render that's been posted here

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Not what it should look like... it's a really old render that's been posted here
It’s not the only render still online. I would presume the design remains the one submitted to city council until proven otherwise.

https://www.atchain.com/still/

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...n_michigan.pdf

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 11:33 AM

^ 432 Park Avenue called, it wants its borrowed renderings back.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 11:10 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by build_tall_chicago View Post
It's one of the old designs I believe so don't worry

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 1:03 PM
Mulan M.

Quote:
Tribune East Tower is a 113-story skyscraper planned to be built to the east of the Tribune Tower, the historic neo-Gothic building with iconic buttresses on the top. The skyscraper will rise to a height of 1,422 ft and become the 2nd tallest building in Chicago, only after the Willis Tower.
It is designed by Adrian Smith, who also designed the nearby Trump Tower, and is known for designed the Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building. Tribune East Tower has received final approval in May 2020, and the groundbreaking for the tower can begin in early or mid 2022.
https://thetowerinfo.com/chicago-sky...tion-proposed/

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 4:41 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 6:39 PM
DENNAB

I don't think this tells us anything we don't know other than the fact that the project isn't cancelled yet lol

At least if this person's sources are correct that is...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 4:20 AM

Well, the proposed projects are nice to look at anyway!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 4:31 AM

Public Observation Deck

Does anyone know if the Tribune Tower East will have a public observation deck near the top to look out over the skyline and surrounding area. I think that the building should have one to compete with the Sears Tower, John Hancock Center, and the upcoming deck at the Aon Center.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 24, 2022 at 4:45 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 4:45 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ unless I missed something, I don't think there are any plans to include a public observation deck in this proposal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals