HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 8:03 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
As part of a compromise to get rid of the planned mega-yacht marina at Rincon Park, the America's Cup organizers have been given development right to Pier 54 in Mission Bay. This is almost right across Terry Francois from the Commons...there is a complex of two piers with Pier 52 being a small public access boat launch and Pier 54 being a larger facility with warehouse and maritime operations.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA2G1MDKEE.DTL
This will turn out to be great for Mission Bay!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 7:23 AM
heavy user of walkability

a little more progress in the NW corner, where we are now getting traffic lights installed on what had been empty poles:

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 7:54 AM

Mission Rock etc

here is a shot of Mission Rock St as seen from Third (looking east), with the current kink in the road quite apparent (I'm not sure, but I think the short section of MR where it hits Third was 'straightened' so it meets it at a right angle a few years ago):

here is the site of the future police building as seen through the new fence at the corner of Third and MR. on Friday morning there was a lone earth-mover on site, moving earth, but all was quiet today. the grassy part represents the original corner of MR and Fourth, the stub of which can be seen on the right. Madrone in the background:

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 9:02 AM

Pier 54, bayshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
As part of a compromise to get rid of the planned mega-yacht marina at Rincon Park, the America's Cup organizers have been given development right to Pier 54 in Mission Bay. This is almost right across Terry Francois from the Commons...
this news got me to stroll over there today, and I'm glad I did. first, a couple shots of Pier 54 so people can see what it is currently.... here is the entrance to the large warehouse (currently storing what looked like Xmas floats or something):

here it is more in context, taken from across Terry Francois. between TF and the pier is the parking lot which on MB maps is parcel P21, usually colored green. to its south, out of the pic to the right, will be the actual green part, P22.

I hope at this Google Maps link you can see the developed parking lot and the undeveloped area below it. in the map image, the pier angling down toward the lower right is Pier 54.

I was glad I had wandered over that way because, as I continued south, I discovered that, not only had the bayshore reinforcement project had been completed, but the area adjacent had been cleared and graded and *opened up*, with even an interim asphalt bike path thrown down! it's hard to convey here what a dramatic impression the change has made, with new wide views where there was just a fence (and until recently a few small buildings) before. and this even though it is just dirt, and not even as wide as it will be as a park, since the section of TF that hems it in on the west will be pulled further inland when that part is finally developed. I'm stoked about this. Merry Xmas MB, this earns a banana!

here is looking south from the end of P21. beyond the thicker bollards on the right is the former course of TF, where the fence ran until very recently. beyond the thinner bollards on the left is the new open section. Pier 70 in the distance:

a closer-up view:

still looking south, but from more towards the southern end of the new open section. to the south (in the distance) there was already a thin open section where people sometimes fish and play music. fishermen, bike riders, and dog walkers were already using the new section when I walked through (I know it's hard to tell from the pics, but trust me).

looking back north from the southern end (Pier 54 in the background). you have to imagine a park extending all the way to a line parallel with the edges of the buildings you see on the far left - and a pink-and-purple Salesforce campus across the street!:

and, changing the subject, the hospital's southeast corner is quickly getting fleshed out:

Last edited by timbad; Dec 18, 2011 at 9:17 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 5:08 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I'm very happy (and a little surprised) that they put a temporary path in, rather than keeping it a fenced-off construction zone until the whole park is ready. Are there any signs of work on moving Terry Francois between South and 16th? Maybe that's coming after they finish reconfiguring everything in the northwest corner of MB?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
... Are there any signs of work on moving Terry Francois between South and 16th? Maybe that's coming after they finish reconfiguring everything in the northwest corner of MB?
unfortunately, I didn't see any signs of continuing work over there. I'm under the impression that the park parcels get developed sort if in conjunction with adjacent buildings, at least partly because their funding is connected. so, if that's right, we might not see anything happen until Salesforce starts doing something?

ah, also I was almost forgetting: the strip along the actual shoreline belongs to the Port of SF, so I suppose gets treated differently than the future P22, even if there may be cooperation when the whole thing is put together for the final product.

back in the heady days of early 2007, I was given a sheet listing the 'anticipated MB park system completion schedule'. of course, it's turned into an almost wistful document now (every single P-parcel was to have been completed by now except P3, which is along the creek where the hotel will be), but for what it's worth, ahead of P22 on the list (I won't put associated dates, since besides being meaningless, is a little depressing! ) is

P5 - dog run at the west end of block 13
P10 - the roundabout (basically done)
P15 - Commons parcel in front of CVRB
P16 - Commons parcel in front of Madrone (done)
P2 - Mission Creek Park west, fronting the houseboats
P8 - north (creek-) side of the new road under the freeway
P11, P11a - far west parcels of the Commons, next to the roundabout
P12 - next Commons parcel over from previous

P10 and P16 of course got special outside funding to get them kick-started, so they were able to leap-frog, cut in line a bit. I have no idea if the relative order of the list actually does mean anything anymore at this point.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 5:07 PM

Great to see the skin going up on the hospital. What a massive project that will transform the area. (As if it hasn't been transformed already.)

UCSF is also officially moving forward with studies to eliminate the planned through-access for vehicles on Fourth Street through the hospital site. The design would instead create two cul-de-sacs for drop off from the north and south ends, with a large public plaza in between. Bicycle and pedestrian access would be maintained.

UCSF has been talking about this for some time due to issues with heavy pedestrian traffic trying to cross Fourth Street at the hospital. Dogpatch neighbors got on board as well due to concerns over high traffic feeding into their neighborhood if through-traffic were allowed on Fourth. So by closing Fourth, traffic will be kept to the perimeter more, primarily along future Owens Street alongside 280 and away from Dogpatch.

Seems like the city will continue to own the Fourth Street land, but UCSF would be granted a major encroachment right to build the plaza where the road would otherwise have been. The plaza would later be bridged over by a pair of two-level pedestrian bridges at the third and fourth floors when the second phase of the hospital is built on the west side of Fourth. UCSF is working on an Environmental Impact Report for the public plaza plan.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 5:22 PM

Thanks for the info Wild Cowboy. Also, a few tidbits as I was in the neighborhood yesterday...

I saw piles be driven at the new public safety building and glass was up at the northeast corner of the new hospital.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 4:36 AM

Telegraph Field, the soccer field at Pier 27 that will be demolished to make way for America's Cup facilities, is apparently looking at a new location in Mission Bay.

http://blog.sfgate.com/cityinsider/2...n-mission-bay/

No idea where it would be and whether it would be a temporary or permanent site. There isn't really space that I'm aware of set aside for this sort of thing. Mariposa Park, to be built along the north side of Mariposa between 280 and Fourth adjacent to the UCSF hospital, was originally slated to be a soccer field. But that was changed to be more of a gathering place concept after UCSF bought the neighboring land for the hospital, as it was deemed a better fit for the location.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 7:39 PM
International

This is all looking great. I hope to be able to visit it in the coming weeks!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 10:42 PM

the other day i noticed for the first time that the streetlights were on in the northwest roundabout area, one more little milestone there. I'm away from the neighborhood for the holidays (best wishes everyone), but will of course report back when I can.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 4:56 AM

Mission Rock Brewery!

little blurb today about the owner of Pete's Tavern and Momo's (over by the ballpark) taking over and remodeling the current Mission Rock Café, on Terry Francois just south of the newly-opened bayfront section. aim is to turn it into the Mission Rock Brewery and Oyster Bar by next summer.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
... I saw piles be driven at the new public safety building and glass was up at the northeast corner of the new hospital.
yessiree, and here is some visual accompaniment from a few days ago, first of the public safety site, from Third:

... and from the other side, which is China Basin St, looking back northwest:

and here the hospital on a cloudier day:

and the southeast corner, in the sun again:

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 6:14 AM

block 2

I think maybe they are almost done driving piles on block 2 - at least there aren't as many tall ones left

and they seem to be drawing what comes next:

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 6:44 AM

and a couple random shots...

it's still hard to tell what is to become of the courtyard behind the CVRB, but work continues there - and part of that is the little passage between that building and the Diller Cancer Center that leads from the courtyard out to Mission Bay Blvd South (and the Commons). seems like there may be more to it than just pavement, which could be nice:

since we haven't had a wide shot of Madrone for a while:

and a sunnier look at the recently opened section of the bayfront, here looking north from Agua Vista Park (which was the already-open stretch):

and, in the spirit of the short days of winter, here is the roundabout as seen from the Owens stub, at dusk in a drizzle-mist whose water droplets are doing their best impression of snowflakes. the trees in the roundabout are lit up and glowing almost warmly. Happy New Year everyone:

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 4:00 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Nice timbad! Happy New Year to you too!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 7:10 PM

Timbad! Thanks again for documenting all of the progress in Mission Bay. It's really beginning to take shape.

I think 2012 is going to be a huge year for SF. Happy New Year everyone!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 12:56 AM

Salesforce Headquarters MB

Socketsite has some new info, updated phasing, and new renderings for the new Salesforce headquarters at Mission Bay...

Quote:
Scheduled to be presented to San Francisco’s Planning Commission next week, we’ve got a sneak peek at the key elements (no private cafeteria on the campus), latest building designs, and phasing for the 1.9 million square feet of office, 65,000 square feet of retail, 4.2 acres of public open space, 2,111 auto parking spaces, and 450 bicycle parking spaces proposed for Saleforce.com’s Global Headquarters to rise in San Francisco’s Mission Bay.
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2..._elements.html

Source: www.socketsite.com

On a side note, Salesforce just signed the largest office lease (400,000 sf) downtown in over a decade:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...M27J.DTL&tsp=1

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 1:05 AM

Block 25A

More news out of MB! UCSF is planning another building in the neighborhood:

Quote:
UCSF Plans New Office Building in Mission Bay

The University of California, San Francisco is seeking design-build services for a $93 million Mission Bay office building that it hopes to begin constructing at the end of this year.

The 251,000 square-foot faculty offices would be located on Block 25A at the northeast corner of 16th and 4th streets within the 43-acre UCSF Mission Bay campus. The $93 million price tag includes site and landscape development as well as interior furnishings....
Source and the rest of the article: http://www.theregistrysf.com/RTRE_ucsf_mission_bay.html

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 8:12 AM

eeeyyy, exciting to see things moving ahead on yet another parcel! I think we had been wondering (some pages back) where these offices would go, and figured this location, across 16th from the hospital, was the most logical and likely. thanks for the find, '77!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development