HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 11:16 AM

^you beat me to it... a building of this size would most likely take up the whole block...

it's funny, I was just musing that it was a disappointment to me that the Transit Center wasn't integrated into a new development...

Mr. D. thought that was a little silly since there wouldn't be demand for another 30 years...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 1:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
A dedicated thread for a proposal where the developer hasn't even put in a bid for the site yet? Isn't that a bit premature?
three things:

1. this is sterling bay and they have released a rendering. if this were some unknown mexican hotel developer, or there wasn't a rendering released, we wouldn't have a dedicated thread.

2. over the years we've created dozens of dedicated threads for chicago proposals that never went anywhere. if this one doesn't go anywhere, it will be no different.

3. most importantly, the primary purpose of dedicated threads is to let SSP forumers, other than the chicago regulars, know about significant tower proposals when they are announced. it might be hard to believe, but not everyone on this forum religiously reads all 8 billion posts of the chicago highrise development thread.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 9, 2016 at 1:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 1:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post

Where did we get 57 floors from?
i took my best shot at counting the floors in the rendering.

there are 4 blocks of 14 floors each (56 floors total) and what looks like a very high ground floor.

the count might be off by several floors if there are mezzanine levels or parking floors in the base, but it's the best we have until we learn more.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 9, 2016 at 1:51 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 3:01 PM
Ω

Oh my god it's beautiful. I love the exposed structure. So Chicago.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 3:09 PM
you know where I'll be

Wow. Such a no-brainer location for large-scale office that even Sterling Bay's interested! It's that good.

Also very encouraged that they're working with SOM - if they win the bidding for the site. The design itself of course is potentially subject to major change if they win it......

Llemon, nice mock-ups previous page......the skyline vantage points that would be most impacted and would be interesting to take a look at would be from due south, and from due north........a tower of these proportions would be quite impressive from those......

Also, I'd heard something similar re Bank of America possible consolidation........whatever their current total space downtown, it will definitely be somewhat less all consolidated in a new tower - if they go that direction.....

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 5:09 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Is a multi-level parking garage qualified to be built in a PMD? I could see it going into the Fulton PMD land north of Coyne College somewhere, though I'm not sure I can think of an obvious spot for it south of Fulton.

I agree in hoping Amtrak replacement parking is built underground with a pedway. I also would love to see this tower be office/residential mixed-use to help give the area more life at night, though the design is great so I won't complain.
Every PMD has different restrictions... but yes, garages are allowed in the Kinzie Corridor PMD.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 6:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

obviously this is all very preliminary and everything is subject to change, but i thought it would be interesting to note that if this becomes a real project and is built to 958' tall, it would be the tallest office building built in chicago since franklin center, 2 pru, & 311 s wacker were built way back in '89/'90.

by the time this thing could potentially be completed, you're talking about at least a 30 year time span since we've seen an office tower this tall in chicago!

let's all hope chicago can FINALLY break through that 500' - 800' height cap that has afflicted all office towers built here over the past couple of decades.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 9, 2016 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Does this take up the full block? From this render it seems to come North to Jackson (probably some plaza space there) and span from Canal to Clinton. But the south edge looks to be even with the north face of the US Equities-Union tower. Meaning it doesn't go all the way to Van Buren. We can't really see what's down there. A plaza?
Edit: Maybe that's an optical illusion, I'm wavering on that. Can't really tell where the south face lands.

I like the design though. And yes, it will really stretch out the skyline from there. And be a new tallest west of the river yes?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 8:25 PM
BANNED

Cool. But why do I feel like either A this won't get built or B it'll go the way of that Jahn building and be ruined by Kamin and his NIMBY posse... Hmm...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 8:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
And be a new tallest west of the river yes?
yes, by a couple hundred feet.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 9:03 PM
yes

Can someone do a quick photoshop and show us what it would look like if the slanted end were to be extended, along with the straight end, to make a pointy roof? we could use a pointy roof in the skyline, along with a 1000+ footer in the west loop. The random 958' is annoying, just get it up past 1000!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 9:44 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphile View Post
Can someone do a quick photoshop and show us what it would look like if the slanted end were to be extended, along with the straight end, to make a pointy roof? we could use a pointy roof in the skyline, along with a 1000+ footer in the west loop. The random 958' is annoying, just get it up past 1000!
Best I could do (I ran out of space to complete the wedge! ):

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 9:53 PM
yes

^Dude, awesome. thanks! makes the original look like a tree stump. this looks like its "natural" design while the original feels like it got cut due to financing or NIMBY issues. They can do this, just put a damn hotel with scenic restaurant up in the thinner/higher floor plates and we're done.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 10:06 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Sweet jesus!

Great news and rendering...!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 10:14 PM
DENNAB

Good to see Chicago getting back into the skyscraper game more and more everyday

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Cool. But why do I feel like either A this won't get built or B it'll go the way of that Jahn building and be ruined by Kamin and his NIMBY posse... Hmm...
This isn't a historic district and residences are minimal around here.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llemon View Post
A quick and dirty model made with basic photogrammetry

Some dimensions are off by quite a bit, but I'll try and get everything right tomorrow.

link to album if the above embed pics dont work; http://imgur.com/a/7KL4w
Good shit! Just for fun you should add 625 W. Monroe!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 12:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Best I could do (I ran out of space to complete the wedge! ):

That would look great, a modern John Hancock. But it's fine the way it is also.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 12:59 AM

That is an impressive tower.....

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 3:57 AM
Meh

Beautiful. Now snap to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
already being compared to london cheese grater on twitter
There is a resemblance, but I'm sure people said the same about the 2nd ever round building in the world.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive