HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 9:31 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
The scene in Christmas Vacation where the Griswolds (who are said to live in suburban Chicago) head out on a Saturday afternoon to cut down their own Christmas tree out in woods, but some how end up driving 24 hours to Colorado's rocky mountains, is locally famous for its WTF disconnect.

There aren't mountains like that anywhere remotely close to Chicago.
I'm pretty sure the street they live on in that film is on the Warner Brothers backlot in LA and that house in particular, made appearances in the Lethal Weapon movies and The Burbs.

For a while (I think it's since been renamed) there was a TV Tropes subpage titled "The Mountains of Illinois" thanks to Christmas Vacation.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 9:37 PM
E pluribus unum

Most better known movies set in Cincinnati get it right for the most part (thinking of Rain Man, in particular). And then there's the film noir classic "The Asphalt Jungle" where even though it's never mentioned what city it's set in, keen eyes can see several Cincinnati landmarks.

There's an awful movie called "Accepted" that was set in Ohio but parts were filmed at my university (in Orange County, CA) the summer before my senior year. I remember when they were filming, it was amusing as hell to see the state flag of Ohio on the main lawn and some cheapo fake vines and foliage to cover up the palm trees.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I’ve always been irritated at the fact that the movie “Chicago” was filmed in Toronto
Well the movie "San Francisco" was almost certainly filmed at a studio in Los Angeles and for a San Franciscan, that's even worse.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 10:49 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I have no complaints with that season of American Horror Story set on Roanoke Island. As any North Carolinian can attest, if there's anything the coast of North Carolina is famous for, it's those majestic desert mountains.

See also: Chatham County, NC as portrayed in Them.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 12:10 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Well the movie "San Francisco" was almost certainly filmed at a studio in Los Angeles and for a San Franciscan, that's even worse.
I walked out of San Andreas because not only was it terrible, it wasn't even filmed in LA. A movie about LA not filmed in LA, WTF?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I’ve always been irritated at the fact that the movie “Chicago” was filmed in Toronto
"Detroit" was filmed in Boston.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 1:01 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Goes to show the laziness of Hollywood

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 1:44 AM

Is there a name of the soundstage that is used to portray a NYC neigborhood? I've seen it in many commercials, TV shows, and music video's for decades.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
As they're filming the scenes throughout residential neighbourhoods, the bungalows, front fences, stucco construction, etc. make it painfully obvious that you're not in Scranton, PA. Pretty difficult to find this kind of vernacular in LA:

If you squint and ignore the palm trees: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6138...7i16384!8i8192

Similar architecturally, but instead of porches you have patios and balconies. Pretty common style of house in the beach cities. With effort you can find almost any style of detached SFH in SoCal. It's really only lacking in traditional brick vernacular.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMIchael View Post
Is there a name of the soundstage that is used to portray a NYC neigborhood? I've seen it in many commercials, TV shows, and music video's for decades.
There is a New York Street in both the WB and Universal backlots (not a soundstage). The Universal one is better.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
A great current example is 911: Lone Star. The Austin they’re depicting outside of the skyline shots isn’t Austin or anywhere close to being like Austin either. It’s filmed in Los Angeles and it is very obvious it is filmed there. The architecture, the urban design, the roads, the plants, the weather, the wildlife, the topography, the culture and people: it’s all wrong.
That's the one that had the protagonist driving through desert on the way from New York to Austin.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 5:00 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Pretty much any 90's era sci-fi show that was filmed In Vancouver but set in other various cities or planets.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 5:24 AM

CSI:Miami was mostly filmed in Long Beach which actually does look like Miami. The give away is the palm tree varieties though, and the occasional scenes with hills in the background. And the waterfronts and the ocean itself look totally different.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 8:40 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Same. They should rename the film 'Toronto'. They'd have to change that marquee to read 'Toronto' and re-do a few other minor things but that's about it.

The film that sticks out the most for me is Juno. It's obviously Vancouver, not St.Cloud, Minnesota. Just say it's Vancouver. It's not like it would effect the plot, story, or characters one iota. They characters could all easily pass as Canadians. The 2 main leads, Cera and Page, are from Canada already.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 10:08 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
CSI:Miami was mostly filmed in Long Beach which actually does look like Miami. The give away is the palm tree varieties though, and the occasional scenes with hills in the background. And the waterfronts and the ocean itself look totally different.
That, and all those shots of Lt. Caine reflecting on the day's deeds while looking out at the vast rusty ball of the sun setting over the water. I was not aware Miami was famous for such sunsets, considering that the ocean is to the east.

Also, who could forget the episode where Callie, in an effort avoid a traffic jam on the causeway, takes the "back way" from Miami Beach to downtown Miami and ends up driving through a swamp in a rural area.

I used to be a big devotee of the various CSI's back in the day. They really ignited an interest in forensics... which taught me how incredibly unrealistic those shows were... which is why I stopped watching them.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 11:24 AM

Not sure which TV show they filmed on Clark st in Chicago, but for a few years we constantly had filming at 353 W Clark, pretending to be NYC, with NYC cabs, police cars, and even a big Steam Exhaust pipe like you see in the streets of Manhattan sometimes.

And there was one show - can't remember which - where the wife stopped it and asked my why it was wrong - she _knew_ it was wrong just couldn't tell why. After a few minutes I realized the skyline at the end of the street was Chicago - as seen from the lake.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 12:50 PM

How to make Toronto look like New York? (How to Fake America)

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Not sure which TV show they filmed on Clark st in Chicago, but for a few years we constantly had filming at 353 W Clark, pretending to be NYC, with NYC cabs, police cars, and even a big Steam Exhaust pipe like you see in the streets of Manhattan sometimes.
I didn't know there even was a W Clark in Chicago.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 5:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
I didn't know there even was a W Clark in Chicago.
but there is a Clark W. in Chicago, as in Clark W. Griswold.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
I'm actually surprised to learn that Chicago doesn't have steam exhaust in the winter?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions