HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Which midwest city will build the region's next 700+ footer?
Minneapolis 66 40.49%
Detroit 33 20.25%
Cleveland 20 12.27%
Columbus 12 7.36%
Cincinnati 3 1.84%
Indianapolis 2 1.23%
Milwaukee 11 6.75%
St. Louis 2 1.23%
Kansas City 2 1.23%
Omaha 3 1.84%
Des Moines 1 0.61%
Another Midwest City 8 4.91%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ bring it back to the Midwest, I think there's enough existing height and/or bulk in Minneapolis, Detroit and Cleveland to visually support a 1,000' tower, but it might be too big of a scale jump in most of the others. However, time can always cure that too.

Has anyone ever seen pictures of how ridiculously out of scale Chicago's John Hancock center was with the rest of the north Michigan avenue skyline when it was first built roughly a half century ago? But it's now a perfectly natural fit with all of the supporting 700+ foot towers around it that were subsequently built over the ensuing decades.
Hancock is a beautiful skyscraper, so I certainly don't mind that it dominated the north Michigan skyline. While I now like the still dominating Willis Tower, (Sears), when I first drove by it on I95 in mid-1980s with my uncle, he quipped that 'it is not easy on the eyes'.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG425 View Post
I know this is a skyscraper forum, but I love dense cities with height restrictions like this. Not San Diego-style height restrictions, but Madison/Washington D.C.-style height restrictions. It does so much more for the cityscape than any skyline could ever do. I'd take walkable over height any day, but I prefer a generous mix of the two. I'm in Houston though so all we have is height.
Although there is no height limit here in Chicago, the neighborhood of the West Loop is building up this way (mostly due to anti-height NIMBYs). . . mostly dense bulky sub-20 floor buildings with a few notable exceptions. . . it's really transformed that part of town in ways you're describing. . .

. . .

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 5:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
While I now like the still dominating Willis Tower, (Sears), when I first drove by it on I95 in mid-1980s with my uncle, he quipped that 'it is not easy on the eyes'.
i think you meant I-94.

the sears tower is very tall, but i'm pretty sure you can't see it from I-95

but speaking of sears, it too was a very out of scale tower when it was first built as well:

source: https://chuckmanchicagonostalgia.wor...anorama-1970s/

and to this day, its roof is still nearly 500' taller than any of its neighbors in that section of the skyline (sears @ 1,451' vs. 311 s wacker @ 961')

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG425 View Post
I know this is a skyscraper forum, but I love dense cities with height restrictions like this. Not San Diego-style height restrictions, but Madison/Washington D.C.-style height restrictions. It does so much more for the cityscape than any skyline could ever do. I'd take walkable over height any day, but I prefer a generous mix of the two. I'm in Houston though so all we have is height.

Skyscraper with a low-rise and mid-rise podium can give the best of both worlds. I am not sure that limiting height improves the cityscape or walkability.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 8:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That image is a stark reminder that most cities 50 years ago had very few skyscrapers. With today's lens applied, Chicago looks like a so-so skyscraper city there, especially if you remove the Sears tower.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 9:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
That image is a stark reminder that most cities 50 years ago had very few skyscrapers.
I think the gargantuan scale of the sears tower is throwing off your perceptions.

When that picture was taken in the mid '70s, Chicago had 34 buildings over 500 ft. Which at the time was far and away the 2nd largest collection of such towers on the planet after NYC (105).

Even today, 34 buildings over 500 ft. would still be more 500 footers than all but a small handful of US cities have now (NYC, Miami, and Houston)

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 1, 2021 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 3:09 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
I think the gargantuan scale of the sears tower is throwing off your perceptions.

When that picture was taken in the mid '70s, Chicago had 34 buildings over 500 ft. Which at the time was far and away the 2nd largest collection of such towers on the planet after NYC (105).

Even today, 34 buildings over 500 ft. would still be more 500 footers than all but a small handful of US cities have now (NYC, Miami, and Houston)
Plus LA, if you count the 500+ ft. towers under construction that have already topped off.

Chicago had a lot of skyscrapers for a city at the time that photo was taken. It's our inflated perceptions of height today that make it seem less impressive in hindsight to us than it was to people back in the day.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 3:43 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Plus LA, if you count the 500+ ft. towers under construction that have already topped off.
I was just going off of the CTBUH database, which lists 33 towers over 500' for LA, including U/C towers.

But no database is infallible, and either way, it's pretty damn close, so......

The larger point, as you duly noted, is that Chicago had a crapload of skyscrapers back in the 70s.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 3:52 AM
Dryer lint inspector

That slopey Chase building (near Lake?) is huge in its own right and would dominate just about any other skyline today as someone above previously mentioned.

And yes, you can see the Sears from I-95

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 3:54 AM
E pluribus unum

Completely off-topic and I don't even know what the gameday experience was like before, but man I hate what Soldier Field looks like nowadays, even almost 20 years after the renovations.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 3:58 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Completely off-topic and I don't even know what the gameday experience was like before, but man I hate what Soldier Field looks like nowadays, even almost 20 years after the renovations.
Old soldier field was a pretty terrible place to watch a football game (the seating pitch was way too effing shallow).

The new stadium does look like a UFO landed on top of the old stadium, but it's billions of times better from a spectator perspective.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 4:02 AM
E pluribus unum

Yeah, I figured the old one was probably a shitty gameday experience. Hell, you can see in that photo that it was way too big for NFL football and had makeshift stands in the north end zone?

My dislike is a completely subjective aesthetic issue. The asymmetry is what throws me.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 4:15 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I always forget that Soldier Field is right across the street from the Field Museum. I'm never there when there's a game.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 4:19 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
and would dominate just about any other skyline today
at 869' tall, Chicago's Chase Plaza (built in 1969) would today be:

- 30th tallest in NYC

- 12th tallest in chicago

- 4th tallest in Philly
- 4th tallest in Houston
- 3rd tallest in LA
- 2nd tallest in San Francisco
- 2nd tallest in Atlanta
- 2nd tallest in Seattle
- 2nd tallest in Cleveland
- 2nd tallest in Dallas
- 2nd tallest in Charlotte

- 1st tallest in all other US cities

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 2, 2021 at 4:38 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I always forget that Soldier Field is right across the street from the Field Museum. I'm never there when there's a game.
If you go to the Field Museum, you park in the Soldier Field lot. The main entrance literally faces Soldier Field and the parking.

I think when they renovated Soldier Field they added that massive garage, which serves all the other lakefront stuff during non-football days. Not sure what people do during fall Sundays.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 2:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Not sure what people do during fall Sundays.
most people seem to know to stay away from the museum campus on football sundays.

or if you're hellbent on going, go early or just take transit.

if you can do transit, it's probably not a bad time to visit the museums as they likely see some of their lightest weekend crowds of the year on those days.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Skyscraper with a low-rise and mid-rise podium can give the best of both worlds. I am not sure that limiting height improves the cityscape or walkability.
I don't think it does. I think having a good mix of office, residential, entertainment and retail, including grocery/restaurants is key to improving cityscape/walkability. I also think having good transit and streets that are pedestrian friendly. Otherwise, you have a bunch office buildings that are busy during the day but deserted in the evening/weekends. Likewise, you can have bunch of apartments/condos that require people to drive to get to stores or where people are unlikely to walk or bike because of the huge amount of auto traffic. While older cities have the tighter cityscape grid and buildings that can easily accommodate the mix to encourage walkability, newer cities can sometimes get it right.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 6:33 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
If you go to the Field Museum, you park in the Soldier Field lot. The main entrance literally faces Soldier Field and the parking.
Sure but there's a lot of greenery separating the two and SF does a good job of blending into the background you almost forget it's there. Unlike most stadiums where its a huge monolith surrounded by a sea of concrete parking.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I don't think it does. I think having a good mix of office, residential, entertainment and retail, including grocery/restaurants is key to improving cityscape/walkability. I also think having good transit and streets that are pedestrian friendly. Otherwise, you have a bunch office buildings that are busy during the day but deserted in the evening/weekends. Likewise, you can have bunch of apartments/condos that require people to drive to get to stores or where people are unlikely to walk or bike because of the huge amount of auto traffic. While older cities have the tighter cityscape grid and buildings that can easily accommodate the mix to encourage walkability, newer cities can sometimes get it right.
The problem with office buildings is how much parking space they require around them. That's why downtowns that are devoid of public transit like Oklahoma City are full of parking lots and garages, and all those office buildings are isolated, not mixed well with residential, retail, and all those other uses. To fill in those gaps in the cityscape, and mix all those uses together, it means reducing the demand for parking, and that means investing in public transit. Ultimately, the amount of public transit will determine the density and walkability of a city much more than any height limits or lack thereof will.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_Const_Watch View Post
Well, this proposal is out. At 31 floors, 440' the activity it will bring will be great and it will add some density to the mid tier of the skyline from the south, but it will be continuing our recent trend of buildings in the 300-500' range and drought of true skyscrapers.

FWIW, I did start a thread for this now that we have the basics of a proposal-- https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=251169

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions