HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Transit Terminal Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 8:39 PM
Pro Web Slinger

This project and SY will result in a new "Center City". It's nice to see Philly competing with other cities like Miami.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 10:01 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Looking at this image started me to thinking more about 'place-making'.

30th Street Station needs no help making its presence known but looking at the Regional Rail platforms and the canopy over them brought my mind to what's been done to Denver Union Station and plans for DC Union. Considering the architecture that's envisioned for SY and the 30th Street plan, I don't suppose that some unifying modern symbol between the classic structure of the train station and the rest of the developed buildings would be too unreasonable.

I wouldn't imagine anything on a grand scale like below and the current canopy over the platforms is vintage and beautiful but maybe it's worth a think.

Denver:

architecturalrecord.com

Washington, D.C.

architecturalrecord.com

Picture it from here:

Last edited by summersm343; Jun 18, 2016 at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Summer of 2021 - you heard it hear first
Brandywine's CEO made it clear that Schuylkill Yards will be developed first. 30th Street development, north of the station, won't occur for over a decade. And that is assuming everything goes will with Schuylkill Yards.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 3:34 AM

Holy shit yo. This city is on fire. Building three real supertalls. Nice to see it happen now quickly. It did be very cool.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 1:44 PM

So is this the new version of River City? 😜

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 3:49 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
Looking at this image started me to thinking more about 'place-making'.

Are the faded towers Schuylkill Yards?

-sb

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 3:54 PM
Pro Web Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Yes

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 4:02 PM

Philly continues to impress!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Yes sir. Here is the same image labelled so it's a little more clear which towers are included in this plan, which are already built or under construction, and which towers are included in the Schuylkill Yards plan.

From left to right:

FMC Tower - under construction - 49 floors - 736 FT
Evo - complete - 33 floors - 430 FT
Schuylkill Yards Towers - 8 towers planned - 70 floors to 28 floors - 1,095 FT to 375 FT
Cira II - planned as a part of the 30th Street Station District - 47 floors - 705 FT
Cira Centre - complete - 28 floors - 434 FT
Transit Terminal Tower - planned as a part of the 30th Street Station District - 85 floors - 1,200 FT
Remainin 30th Street Station District towers - 17 towers planned - 45 floors to 12 floors - 670 FT to 180 FT

Last edited by summersm343; Jun 18, 2016 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 12:10 AM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Yes sir. Here is the same image labelled so it's a little more clear which towers are included in this plan, which are already built or under construction, and which towers are included in the Schuylkill Yards plan.

From left to right:

FMC Tower - under construction - 49 floors - 736 FT
Evo - complete - 33 floors - 430 FT
Schuylkill Yards Towers - 8 towers planned - 70 floors to 28 floors - 1,095 FT to 375 FT
Cira II - planned as a part of the 30th Street Station District - 47 floors - 705 FT
Cira Centre - complete - 28 floors - 434 FT
Transit Terminal Tower - planned as a part of the 30th Street Station District - 85 floors - 1,200 FT
Remainin 30th Street Station District towers - 17 towers planned - 45 floors to 12 floors - 670 FT to 180 FT
Nice. Just FYI, the camera in this rendering is about 100 feet above the CITC spire and just a bit farther east. It will roughly be the view from the very top. The tower is not shown in the image so it doesn't block any of the rail yard development.

However, you can see it in all other renderings where it would appear on the skyline

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 1:23 AM

The proposed cap and buildings are amazing, but what really gets me excited are the plans around 30th street station - a new tunnel connecting the El/trolleys to the station, reopening the north concourse, new access to the SEPTA and Amtrak platforms, completely changed traffic patterns, an expanded 'porch' on the south side, a new plaza just to the west of the station where a parking lot is now and a new intercity bus station just to the north. The best part is that most of these improvements are scheduled to be built in the next ten years or so - before the bulk of the buildings are built.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 5:47 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
suddenly Philly just became a contender for the top 3 skylines in the USA for 2025
idk about getting into the top 3 but definitely top 5. Top 3 will almost certainly be NYC, Chicago, and Miami. 4 and 5 are gonna be SF and Philly, and they'll have to duke it out to see who gets 4.

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 11:46 AM

Philly is still underdeveloped too in a lot of spots considering its age-- if it's ever built out and up to all its potential...wow. One can dream. But I'm very hopeful after seeing all the plans laid out in the last year for this, and Schuylkill Yards, and the general trajectory of the city the last 20 years.

The western expansion of the skyline was and is inevitable--due to 30th Street Station, the universities, and large portions of underdeveloped lands along the river.

Along with hoping these plans all come to fruition over the next 20 years, I'm hoping the Delaware River finally becomes the waterfront neighborhood it should be -- lined with apt/condo towers, a light rail, city parks, and a fun bar scene. Some day. Anyways, exciting times in the olde Birthplace of America. It will be fun to go back to these comments/posts years down the road to see how things develop, and if our optimism becomes reality. Cheers.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Along with hoping these plans all come to fruition over the next 20 years, I'm hoping the Delaware River finally becomes the waterfront neighborhood it should be -- lined with apt/condo towers, a light rail, city parks, and a fun bar scene. Some day.
Plus, throw in the proposed high-speed rail station at Market East, and eastern skyline development becomes even more likely.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
idk about getting into the top 3 but definitely top 5. Top 3 will almost certainly be NYC, Chicago, and Miami. 4 and 5 are gonna be SF and Philly, and they'll have to duke it out to see who gets 4.
Not that it matters but philly's skyline is already better than miami's. Miami has volume but they're cookie cutter generic condo towers

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
Not that it matters but philly's skyline is already better than miami's. Miami has volume but they're cookie cutter generic condo towers
Not to get to much into city-vs-city stuff (which, to be fair, is natural when talking about future projects like this), the premise was for 20 years in the future. If things pan out, Miami's skyline will be pretty awesome 20 years from now.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 2:45 PM

Meh, skylines arent the be all end all for cities, I'd argue it's much more important how they look at street level, where Philly excels and other cities who shall not me named do poorly despite having a few more tall buildings. That being said I'm glad this project will extend the skyline, and I hope great attention is given to how these buildings affect the pedestrian experience.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
So is this the new version of River City? 😜
Who has the photoshop skills to combine some rivercity renderings with this one?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 3:01 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Meh, skylines arent the be all end all for cities, I'd argue it's much more important how they look at street level, where Philly excels and other cities who shall not me named do poorly despite having a few more tall buildings. That being said I'm glad this project will extend the skyline, and I hope great attention is given to how these buildings affect the pedestrian experience.
Very true but them there tall buildings have a romantic effect on people's eyes. It starts at the street of course - Midtown Manhattan wouldn't be quite the same with the same kind of street activity that you'll find around 21st and Race at 11pm on a weeknight. One thing tends to lead to the other, though, especially in an older organic city like ours.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 8:25 PM
The Doctor Is In

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
Sure the skyscrapers are nice and all but the best part of all of this is what they're planning to do at human scale.
This is so so so important. Rarely does a good ground level come out of an idea with so many aerial renderings of pretty glass buildings. What we don't see is where the exhausts, blank walls, utility driveways and such are. Based on the names in the plan and the groundwork that has been done so far I do hope and think we are looking to extend the ideal behind the porch and not the one behind the really awful new Drexel dorms. While those that just care about pretty pictures ooh and ahh at the these renderings, the rest of us are crossing our fingers for a ground level that isn't nearly at monolithic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals