HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 1:27 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Dave Thomas circle , lol. Maybe they can open a Wendy’s in the building

I assume the McDonald’s welcoming you to DC will last forever

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 1:29 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

The pandemic and remote work seems a golden opportunity to diversify downtown dc (metro center / farragut / k st) with more residential and away from pure office

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 10:04 PM
BANNED

I'd like to see how the new terra-cotta and metal facade comes out. It sounds promising.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 7:03 PM
BANNED

Does anyone know if this redevelopment is planned to occur, or has the owner decided to keep the existing building.

https://www.pennquarterplace.com/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 2:55 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
With the fever pitch of development bubbling over in all of these adjacent districts, NoMa, Union Market, Eckington, etc., the entire swath of exposed rail infrastructure in the area is beginning to look very out of place and a somewhat of a significant obstruction. I know there is a gradually evolving plan to cover the tracks most adjacent to Union Station, but perhaps that doesn't go far enough? I think there would be tangible benefit to decking over/burying the entirety of the Brentwood and Ivy City yards, to Rhode Island Avenue to the north, and Montana Avenue to the east.

When you look at some other national capitols in the developed and even developing worlds, it becomes clear that *this* level of exposed industrial or infrastructural uses *this* close to the marquis buildings of federal government is, well, atypical. There is SO MUCH opportunity in going big in this subdistrict of the District, and if New York can consider a plan to cover all of the Sunnyside Yard in Queens, then it is far from inconceivable.

Idk about y'all but I'm still holding out for the promise of infrastructure week.
Thing is, this is what central Tokyo looks like:

https://goo.gl/maps/MR5C2tSQW7Fzbq1A7

So is this:

https://goo.gl/maps/2KfEKDcMXzwzLqTi8

This actually weirds me out somewhat because similarly central-station undertracks areas in Osaka are nearly always filled with retail! If the rail is properly integrated into the urban form it becomes unobtrusive, even when elevated, as seen here:

https://goo.gl/maps/o9Csd3QE2f19SPsK8

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 2:35 PM

96-Unit Apartment Building Pitched in Mt. Vernon Triangle With Resident-Only Penthouse Cafe

January 27, 2021
Urban Turf

Image courtesy of Urban Turf.

"A new apartment building is being planned in Mount Vernon Triangle with an interesting amenity.

Quadrangle Development and The Wilkes Company are proposing a 13-story, 96-unit apartment building at 950 Third Street NW (map). The development will have the usual apartment amenities, including underground parking and a fitness center, as well as a rather novel amenity: a resident-only cafe in the penthouse..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...ent-only/17810

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 3:01 AM

Reservation 13

New development on Reservation 13 - just south of RFK at the corner of Massachusetts Ave and 19th St SE. Basically a wasteland between the furthest extent of Capitol Hill and the banks of the Anacostia River. Prime development that has been sitting vacant for 20 years but now hopefully will turn into Navy Yard east.

DC Jail making a special guest appearance across the street (and likely moving within the next 10 years to a location TBD)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 4:15 AM
Show me the blueprints

Impressive architectural detailing. Real, quality materials. Good proportions. This looks really really good. Bravo.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 8:07 PM

dlg569: Thank you for posting the photos. We have been away from Washington since the end of May. It will be interesting to see all of the changes since we've been away.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 8:10 PM

Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard

A Closer Look at the Next Office Building at The Yards

February 1, 2021
By Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

"As the office building planned for Parcel F at The Yards continues to move through the design review process, more detailed renderings have emerged.

The nine-story building will deliver 272,000 square feet of office space and 22,776 square feet of retail west of the future 1 1/2 Street SE between N and Quander Streets. Some of the retail space may be used as an office amenity, and the building would also have an interior courtyard on the third floor and terraces on the fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh floors and on the penthouse level..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...building/17828

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 2:34 AM

Quote:
2 Churches Take Developer To Court Over Shaw Project
January 28, 2021 Jon Banister, Bisnow Washington, D.C.

MidCity is facing another appeal over a multifamily development in D.C., this time from two churches near its approved project in Shaw.

Beloved Community Alliance, a group represented by attorney Aristotle Theresa, filed a lawsuit with the D.C. Court of Appeals on Jan. 22, contesting the Zoning Commission's approval of MidCity's project at 1200 Fifth St. NW.
https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...project-107538

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:17 AM
pragmatist

^ sigh, taken to court over "not enuff parking!!!"???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Does anyone know if this redevelopment is planned to occur, or has the owner decided to keep the existing building.
That's just a reskin of the existing building.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 1:26 PM

Amazon 2 headquarters

Amazon Unveils Outdoorsy New HQ2, Renewing Its Commitment to Offices

Centerpiece of design is a 350-foot building dubbed the Helix, which features two spiraling outdoor walkways

By Konrad Putzier
Feb. 2, 2021
Wall Street Journal

Image courtesy of the Wall Street Journal.

"Amazon . com Inc.’s plans for its new northern Virginia headquarters feature an outdoor theme, the latest sign that big tech companies are getting more creative with office space rather than abandoning it.

Phase two of the company’s development in Arlington, Va., calls for three 22-story office buildings and smaller retail buildings surrounded by woodlands, an outdoor amphitheater, a dog run and parking for around 950 bicycles.

The centerpiece will be the site’s fourth and tallest tower, a 350-foot structure dubbed the Helix because it will feature two spiraling outdoor walkways with trees and plants from Virginia that twist to the building’s top..."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-...=hp_lead_pos11

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 1:37 PM
BANNED

Nice. This is in Crystal City, right?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 2:35 PM

Indeed it is. The developer, JBG Smith, has rebranded the immediate area as National Landing.

Here is another rendering.

Amazon’s Jaw-Dropping Design For HQ2

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...-for-hq2/17833

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Indeed it is. The developer, JBG Smith, has rebranded the immediate area as National Landing.
Beautiful! I hope that Amazon constructs some buildings in downtown DC too. I'm very impressed how DC has eliminated so many terrible 60s and 70s buildings. All of the new structures enhance this stunning city.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 7:19 PM

Yay! 175 Park Avenue and now this! So excited. I dub it, 'The Crystal Turd'

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Yay! 175 Park Avenue and now this! So excited. I dub it, 'The Crystal Turd'
One of my friends described it as the ‘glass poop emoji.’

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 8:04 PM
Show me the blueprints

Soft Serve

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 1:57 AM
Everywhere all at once

cross-posting my own post from the thread for the Amazon projects in the proposals forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
My first thought was Seattle Spheres part-deux-the-sequel-on-steroids!!!!! NoVa 'bout to stand up to DC across the river with its own plethora of dope landmarks.
MY BODY IS READY

Also, a bit of a side topic that I really hope some of you will pick up into a discussion.. is it perhaps time to consider that the Pentagon should be replaced as the US Department of Defense HQ with a new modern facility in a different location? I can't imagine that it isn't fast becoming obsolete with the rapid advances in cyber-warfare as well as new field technologies. It is also in a very vulnerable location, being surrounded by dense urban development, major highways, transit corridors, and a major airport, as well as being sited right on the Potomac and across that river from all the major landmarks (read: targets) of the District. One might even question whether it is wise to have a Metro station providing so direct of access to the complex considering the potential for security breaches or attacks via that system.

Though even so, the reason this initially occurred to me is that, as a structure and a presence, the Pentagon is a blight on the urban landscape, being surrounded by parking lots and an obviously necessary security perimeter. The Helix, a gorgeous new monument to 21st-Century commerce and the coming era of sustainability, will only have between it and the Pentagon several parking lots and the vast I-395 expressway. Additionally, I believe, the neighboring Potomac waterfront and Arlington National Cemetery would be so much better served by a non-federal government neighbor with attractive, urban, and pedestrian-scaled development. This in turn could justify a future initiative to lessen or eradicate the impact of the 395 structure on the surrounding area, something else with numerous benefits.

I suspect that, due to the historic and iconic nature of the Pentagon, it would be conceivable that the building itself be preserved and surrounded on 5 sides by new construction designed to acknowledge it as a centerpiece but invite the newly-urbanized life of Northern Virginia to flow towards and around it. The possibilities for repurposing are endless. A new air & space or warfare museum belonging to the Smithsonian, a companion performing arts center to the Kennedy Center, or a retail/mixed used complex are just a few of the ideas that came to my mind.

It would be wise as well to consider relocating the Deparment of Defense itself to a location which is less central, less exposed and less known to outsiders for protection from future means of attack from as yet undeveloped technologies, all the while removing the inherent risk of the department's presence within a dense urban center teeming with civilian residents and passersby. Consider a building that is a beacon of sustainability, perhaps involving earthworks, as a semi-underground complex might provide more security and cost less to heat and cool. Why not make it have six sides and call it the Hexagon?

Also if a thread exists for this subject already or someone wants to make one I would welcome moving the discussion there. Cheers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations