HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 1:58 AM

Sending positive healing vibes to you.

Thank You

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 3:53 PM

It was announced today that the EDDC and Erie Arts & Culture will be teaming up to establish a sculpture walk downtown.

This will entail the installation of anywhere from eight to fifteen temporary sculptures in the area the EDDC services, as well as the bayfront. The sculptures will be displayed from June 2021 through August 2023.

For more details on the project, here's the project page: https://www.erieartsandculture.org/p...UawXUtxlTY3VlE

I think this is awesome. Between this, all the murals that have been completed, and the art that was recently done on the utility boxes downtown, the whole area will be a lot more vibrant.

I am a huge proponent of public art and can't wait to see this when it's ready.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 5:26 PM
Ex Houstonian

Was just in Erie this weekend, lots of stuff going on downtown which is good to see and tons of restorations of old buildings.

Untitled by photolitherland, on Flickr

by photolitherland, on Flickr

by photolitherland, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 6:01 PM

Cool, thanks for the updates! Looking good. It's been a very long time coming, but the amount of construction (new and reno) downtown is more than I've ever seen since probably the 1980s. And there's a lot more planned.

Really happy to see the historic restorations in lower downtown. Sooooo much impressive architecture was lost in the 1960s-90s, but at least the historic preservation mindset has finally become solidified in Erie. There are a number of historic renovations happening on W6th Street ("Millionaires Row") to Victorian and earlier era mansions. Fueled by the richest man in PA, Tom Hagen.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 6:10 PM

The 1820s house on the right was an Army Surplus Store for my entire childhood. The neighborhood down there was totally sketchy back in the 1980s... hookers of ALL sexes, panhandlers, addicts, bikers, the whole scene... it was fascinating.

Historiy Tidbit: The house is where Horace Greeley lived in the early 1830s, while he worked for the Erie Gazette. He would go on to found the New York Tribune, the largest newspaper in the US back in the day, was an influential member of the Whig Party, and ran as the Liberal Republican Presidential candidate against US Grant in the 1870s. He popularized the slogan "Go West, Young Man" to encourage American Manifest Destiny back in the mid-19th Century.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 6:19 PM

Here's a look at what's going on in the back of the Warner Theater. A 5-story and 8-story addition starting to take shape above ground, which will house the expanded stage and orchestra areas, loading docks, and a rehearsal hall/event space.

The refurbished front marquee will once again be illuminated. It will be a great sight to see on State St.

Last edited by pj3000; Jan 26, 2021 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 6:40 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Wait, so is the theater now just a facade? Also, thats fascinating about the 1820s building, hope they put a historical marker out front.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Wait, so is the theater now just a facade? Also, thats fascinating about the 1820s building, hope they put a historical marker out front.
Oh no, it's a theater. It's gorgeous inside. It's pretty big... seats maybe 2500-3000? Operating since the 1930s, but closed for the past couple years for the renovations. The state owns it, so funding for the renovations has been piecemeal and the state has dragged its feet for literally a couple decades in getting the full funding for its repairs/expansion.

On the lower State St. 1820s house... there was a historical marker mounted to the wall, but yeah, should definitely get an official PA marker on the sidewalk there... along with many others in Erie.

The thing is... just like the $$$ for the Warner Theater renovations, Erie is pretty much always last in line for any recognition or money from the state.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 6:45 PM

I'm excited about this project, which is the start to building a much improved setting for the entrance to Presque Isle. It's been a mix of barren emptiness and "honky-tonk" for way too long with the vast open field and shitty trailer park that hasn't been maintained for decades.

Unfortunately, nothing can be done about Waldameer ownership idiocy, with their massive sea of parking -- just very shortsighted and obviously don't care about their surroundings (that's quite apparent).

Multipurpose trail-extension project near Presque Isle State Park could start in the fall

https://www.goerie.com/story/lifesty...er/6577170002/
  • A $3.8 million Millcreek Township multipurpose trail extension project that would allow pedestrians and bicyclists a safer way to access Presque Isle State Park along Peninsula Drive could begin as early as September.
  • The project will extend the park's 12-foot-wide multipurpose trail a half-mile from the park entrance along the east side of Peninsula Drive south to the Tom Ridge Environmental Center.
  • The project includes construction of a five-foot-wide sidewalk along the west side of Peninsula Drive, across from Sara's restaurant, crossing improvements on Peninsula Drive, bus shelter construction and streetscape improvements.
  • Plans also call for the multipurpose trail extension to be elevated 2 to 3 feet above the adjacent road service and to be separated from traffic on the hill by ornamental fencing.
  • The trail extension will make the path to Presque Isle State Park more pedestrian and cyclist-friendly and provide an aesthetic lift in a key traffic area near the park's entrance.
  • Millcreek Township's multipurpose trail-extension project should be augmented by additional future aesthetic upgrades along Peninsula Drive from the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.
  • DCNR officials in late December announced a $4.6 million acquisition of more than 18 acres that will serve as a gateway to the 3,200-acre Presque Isle State Park.
  • DCNR purchased the property from Erie-based BAC Inc. The property extends south from the Tom Ridge Environmental Center property to West Sixth Street.
  • DCNR Secretary Cindy Dunn said the agency's purchase of the 18 acres will allow the DCNR to create a greenway along the eastern side of Peninsula Drive from West Sixth Street to Presque Isle State Park and will restore the property to a natural environment and provide an appropriate gateway to the park.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 8:39 PM

Happy to see that a site has been selected, and that it is reusing former Hammermill industrial land. Sounds like the new plant will be built on the Dunn Brickyard parcel, south of E Lake Rd.

International Recycling Group plastics plant coming to former IP site on Erie's east side

https://www.goerie.com/story/busines...ie/4257400001/

Quote:
Erie-based International Recycling Group has announced that it has an agreement to buy 25 acres of that property, now known as SB3 Industrial Park, from Erie Management Group.

A new $100 million, 200,000-square-foot plastics recycling facility, which IRG describes as the most technologically advanced in the world, is expected to open in early 2023 and to initially employ about 50 people.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 1:23 PM

I took a drive around downtown yesterday and while I'm happy with all the construction and renovations happening, there's one thing I still can't get over: The Avalon.

Literally smack-dab, right in the center of downtown; possibly the best location of any hotel in the area, and it's just wasted space. I realize COVID has all but decimated the hospitality industry, but I could make out maybe 3 rooms actually being occupied (on the southern side at least). It's a dead zone.

Even on street level, the Avalon is one ugly SOB. Blacked out windows, no street trees, no pedestrian lighting, etc.

I realize I'm beating a dead horse and this has been discussed ad nauseum on this thread, but with everything going on (development-wise), it's only going to amplify how out-of-place the Avalon looks and feels.

I 100% believe that if we were not in the middle of a pandemic and economic recession, someone would have bought the Avalon this past year and either completely renovated it as a new hotel or converted it to housing.

Personally, I would like to see it kept as a hotel because that location is second to none. It's within walking distance of several bars, restaurants, and attractions. As for the brand? DoubleTree, Delta, Holiday Inn, Four Points, whatever.

Just my 2 cents.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 3:54 PM

Yeah, the Avalon is depressing as hell. It hasn’t been nice since Hilton sold it decades ago. It was always done on the cheap as the Avalon... they never really renovated it when the Hilton left... just minor fixes to an outdated interior. It still looks like the early 1990s in there.

It’s only survived as long as it has because it had zero competition downtown, and they had significant numbers of rooms dedicated to corporate apartments. Now, with 3 newer hotels on the bayfront, I can’t see it staying 100% hotel. Unless something dramatic changes to Erie’s economy in the form of a new major downtown employer.

I would say converting it to mixed-use (hotel, office, residential), selling the northwest portion along Peach St. and 9th for redevelopment, and reopening the southwest portion rooftop at Peach & 10th for a bar restaurant again would be the best option for it.

The guy has it up for sale, but it’s a tough sell given its size and the state of Erie’s economy.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 10:59 PM

A couple photos of the new patient care "tower" at UPMC-Hamot. The previous building on the site was bland, but a little bit taller and at least appeared on the skyline as a separate building. I'm not crazy how Hamot's buildings all just blend into each other to appear like a low red-brick wall... really don't get the thinking on this. Though it looks much cooler at night!

Old:

New:

Old:

New:

Last edited by pj3000; Feb 22, 2021 at 2:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 10:25 PM

Erie installing an instagram sign on the west bayfront bluff at Bayview Park. I like the strong, block lettering -- suitable for a manufacturing powerhouse ERIE

You won't be able to miss the big 'Erie' sign coming to Bayview Park's waterfront bluff

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...on/6736465002/

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Erie installing an instagram sign on the west bayfront bluff at Bayview Park. I like the strong, block lettering -- suitable for a manufacturing powerhouse ERIE

You won't be able to miss the big 'Erie' sign coming to Bayview Park's waterfront bluff

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...on/6736465002/

I've been saying we need something like this for years!

A lot of other cities have obviously had these for awhile (Cleveland, Indianapolis, La Paz, Toronto, etc.) but this was a no-brainer for ERIE!

It would be great if eventually they put a second one downtown or at the dock.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 1:50 PM

Not fully set in stone put it appears there may be two new apartment buildings coming to Erie's west bayfront neighborhood. Whether or not the NIMBYs will kill this remains to be seen.

Article from JET/FOX/YourErie: https://www.yourerie.com/news/local-...-hall-tonight/

Locations:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/82...80.10609?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1259...4!8i8192?hl=en

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:27 PM

^ I have never been able to understand why there is not more development interest in the west bayfront. It has a very disjointed, and borderline rural, feel to it in some spots between W3rd St. and West Front St... just a bizarre collection of housing types and styles, empty lots, a couple random light industrial shops, the county health department (why there?!), an office building, and a Jehovah's Witness church... nothing really seems to go together down there.

I know the area well, having lived in the neighborhood for a few years. I really like it, given the proximity to and views of the bay, and provides quick access to downtown, yet with a quiet vibe.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 12:17 AM

ECRA demolishing EMI and Quinn-T Tech Buildings

Not sure if this was posted already, but the redevelopment authority is finally demolishing those lumbering hunks of gross brick on 12th street. This is a very nice start.

However, hearing their opinion (even though its very preliminary) that industrial/manufacturing will be a good use of the lot is extremely discouraging. No one wants to drive by a huge, ugly manufacturing plant when coming into downtown. How unimaginative can one get? I thought Erie understood we are trying to think outside the box and replenish real estate with vibrant, aesthetic, yet productive uses.

https://www.goerie.com/story/busines...ie/6702903002/

Title:Erie County Redevelopment Authority plans demolition of EMI and Quin-T Tech Paper buildings
Author: Jim Martin
Cite: Go-Erie
DOP: Feb 10, 2021

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
^ I have never been able to understand why there is not more development interest in the west bayfront. It has a very disjointed, and borderline rural, feel to it in some spots between W3rd St. and West Front St... just a bizarre collection of housing types and styles, empty lots, a couple random light industrial shops, the county health department (why there?!), an office building, and a Jehovah's Witness church... nothing really seems to go together down there.

I know the area well, having lived in the neighborhood for a few years. I really like it, given the proximity to and views of the bay, and provides quick access to downtown, yet with a quiet vibe.

Totally agree. That and East Bayfront (though lets tackle west first shall we) are so underutilized its laughable. Modern apartment buildings/complexes should line the northern-most streets and, generally, row-style houses and renovated older structures should fill in behind. This is so elementary toward building a pleasing, modern, enticing 21st century downtown neighborhood. People seem to forget that a downtown neighborhood is NOT supposed to look like a suburban/rural neighborhood. In this case, its extremely selfish and painfully ignorant of the neighbors to try and block development of a dying neighborhood on life support.

Last edited by Butternut; Feb 22, 2021 at 5:26 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butternut View Post
Not sure if this was posted already, but the redevelopment authority is finally demolishing those lumbering hunks of gross brick on 12th street. This is a very nice start.

However, hearing their opinion (even though its very preliminary) that industrial/manufacturing will be a good use of the lot is extremely discouraging. No one wants to drive by a huge, ugly manufacturing plant when coming into downtown. How unimaginative can one get? I thought Erie understood we are trying to think outside the box and replenish real estate with vibrant, aesthetic, yet productive uses.

https://www.goerie.com/story/busines...ie/6702903002/

Title:Erie County Redevelopment Authority plans demolition of EMI and Quin-T Tech Paper buildings
Author: Jim Martin
Cite: Go-Erie
DOP: Feb 10, 2021
I actually think it's a major shame that the Erie Malleable Iron buildings on 12th will not be renovated and put back into productive use. These brick factory buildings are the very essence of Erie. And they're disappearing rapidly, for no good reason really. I'd MUCH rather be greeted by 1870s brick factories when I'm heading into downtown, than by car dealership lots, fast food outlets, and new, completely generic steel and concrete block warehouse "buildings".

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1179...7i16384!8i8192

Erie has erased SO much of its rich industrial architecture history (even just along the 12th Street corridor) in favor of surface parking lots. The amount of demolition I've witnessed in Erie since the 1980s is simply depressing. Erie's practice of allowing high-quality buildings to completely rot and then demolish has given us countless parking lots and other decidedly non-urban uses in and around downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations