HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Great pics! I used to love going up there on a nice day and it's magical at sunset; Harrisburg is lucky to have such natural beauty.
I agree! It's a great park to get a good view of the City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfbaldy View Post
Actually in regard to expanding DT south, you could demolish the old post office on market street that In itself is about guessing 7 to 10 acres or more. There are a lot of old vacant buildings on S. Cameron street. If you did a google earth search from cameron and market down to paxton street going west to second street that's a lot of land not being used for anything.
You're right, the only downside is it's on the other side of the railroad tracks, so it's probably not as appealing to developers. And probably issues with potential brownfield sites as well. A building was torn down at Market and 9th a few years ago, but unsure what the plan is for that area now.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 7:16 PM

State Archives Building
Photos taken 01/30/2021 on my phone. Pretty good progress being made here. Much more above ground and more to be above ground soon.

^^ You can see the Federal Courthouse here in the background.

Federal Courthouse
Photo taken 01/30/2021 on my phone.

^^ Not a ton of visible change here but it looks like some plastic sheeting has gone up.

Harrisburg University Tower
Photos taken 01/30/2021 on my phone. New barriers and fencing up around the site blocking off the sidewalk and parking lane - seems like a good sign of progress happening soon.

^^ New fencing makes it hard to get photos but I was able to find a spot. Looks like some caissons/rebar are already in the ground!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the photos! I appreciate the updates. I am interested to see what the glass will look like on the federal courthouse once it is installed.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 4:55 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Midtown, downtown projects move forward, as Harrisburg Planning Commission gives approvals

3 cool projects and the "Carpet and Draperies" renovation. I doubt the persons ability to pull off the Carpet and Draperies, but I wish it well. Lots of infill development near the courthouse. Maybe Reed was right

https://theburgnews.com/news/midtown...ives-approvals

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 5:12 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCentralPA View Post
Thanks for the welcome and I'm glad you appreciate the updates! I had been lurking on various threads for awhile but once I saw this Harrisburg one, I figured I needed to create an account so I could contribute. I'll try and provide periodic updates of projects throughout Harrisburg!
I don't check back here as often as I once did as I can get info a little more first hand than I used to. I've lived downtown for the last 14 years. It's been interesting seeing the opinion of the intelligence of investment in the city. Even more interesting is the large apartment projects being proposed now.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
3 cool projects and the "Carpet and Draperies" renovation. I doubt the persons ability to pull off the Carpet and Draperies, but I wish it well. Lots of infill development near the courthouse. Maybe Reed was right

https://theburgnews.com/news/midtown...ives-approvals
I just saw this article and was going to post it here but you beat me to it! But I think it's great to see see all of this development.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 12:26 AM

A couple other renderings from this article: https://theburgnews.com/news/midtown...ives-approvals

Good to see all of the infill!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 2:58 PM
Man on a mission

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2021/0...outputType=amp

Someone at Pennlive knows sketchup.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 6:09 PM
Man on a mission

But wait, there's more... Infill on the Jackson Lick parcel. I like it. It would restore the Street scape. Bring a presence back to the sidewalk

https://theburgnews.com/news/midtown...-steps-forward

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 8:54 PM

Quote:
But wait, there's more... Infill on the Jackson Lick parcel. I like it. It would restore the Street scape. Bring a presence back to the sidewalk

https://theburgnews.com/news/midtown...-steps-forward
Quote:
Originally Posted by mville1 View Post
Thanks for the update! Saw this project the other day proposed for 1315 N Sixth Street.

New five-story affordable living apartment building planned for Harrisburg

By: Daniel Urie | Pennlive

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2021/0...arrisburg.html

Looks like quite of bit surface parking, but maybe I am misreading the site plans???
This is the same project mville1 was talking about but there's a rendering and some approvals this time! But I completely agree Young Gun, it would definitely help the streetscape and make that part of 6th street more pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 8:57 PM

Quote:

Someone at Pennlive knows sketchup.
Nice. I think this is a good location for this type of project because there are similarly sized buildings near it vs. other parts of midtown.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 8:59 PM

One other rendering from this article: https://theburgnews.com/news/midtown...-steps-forward

This is the proposed renovation at the former Salvation Army building at Green and Cumberland streets.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 4:04 PM
Me?!?

Harrisburg church to be redeveloped into apartments

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 7:20 PM

Photo taken 02/06/2021 on my phone. Interesting to see they were working on a Saturday.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 11:26 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Nice. I think this is a good location for this type of project because there are similarly sized buildings near it vs. other parts of midtown.
The Reily and Fulton project is getting a neighbor! Reilly Street corridor is blowing up.

Developers unveil 150-unit apartment, retail building for Midtown, latest in a string of building projects

On Monday night, GreenWorks Development, along with Baltimore-based Washington Place Equities, presented their proposed plan to construct a 135,000-square-foot building at 320 Reily St. They made their presentation, as did developers for two other projects, at a virtual “town hall” co-sponsored by Friends of Midtown, the Midtown Action Council and the Historic Harrisburg Association.

https://theburgnews.com/in-the-burg/...lding-projects

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 11:31 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Photo taken 02/06/2021 on my phone. Interesting to see they were working on a Saturday.

With This and everything else proposed recently, HBG is quickly losing a lot of large empty lots. Vartan lost about 1/3 of his 6th/7th street holdings to the State Archives/Autozone in the last year.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 11:44 PM

Quote:
The Reily and Fulton project is getting a neighbor! Reilly Street corridor is blowing up.
I saw this today too! It's exciting to see all of these proposals, I hope they all end up happening. It seems like the Federal Courthouse is driving a lot of interest in developing other nearby parcels.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
With This and everything else proposed recently, HBG is quickly losing a lot of large empty lots. Vartan lost about 1/3 of his 6th/7th street holdings to the State Archives/Autozone in the last year.
This is definitely a good thing. There is enough parking garages that we don't need all the surface lots and it'd be nice to see them all redeveloped.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 1:14 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
This is definitely a good thing. There is enough parking garages that we don't need all the surface lots and it'd be nice to see them all redeveloped.
The 2 things that will likely never get recognized in helping HBG redevelop is the 2013 revision to the zoning code that eliminated parking requirements in CN zoning and reduced the parking requirement to 1 vehicle in medium density zoning. If I remember my zoning maps correctly 6th st and Reilly are both zoned CN.

The second thing that helped spur development downtown is devaluing parking lots because they aren't allowed to compete with standard parking.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
The 2 things that will likely never get recognized in helping HBG redevelop is the 2013 revision to the zoning code that eliminated parking requirements in CN zoning and reduced the parking requirement to 1 vehicle in medium density zoning. If I remember my zoning maps correctly 6th st and Reilly are both zoned CN.

The second thing that helped spur development downtown is devaluing parking lots because they aren't allowed to compete with standard parking.
I didn't know any of this but makes sense. Sounds like that zoning change might be a big reason why 6th & Reily streets are seeing so much development/proposals!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations