HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #241  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 8:26 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 2,639
Peek-a-boo, we see you...LOL. Interesting POV of the hotel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #242  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 8:52 PM
TK2001's Avatar
TK2001 TK2001 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Not your business
Posts: 1,276
Crane came down not long ago
__________________
Buy our 3d models here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/micropolitan
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #243  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 9:48 PM
GtownFriend GtownFriend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Boulder CO
Posts: 553
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #244  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 10:09 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 2,639
^
Wow. The renders that I saw all showed gold glass and boarders around them. I like the change. Doesn't look as cheesy! thanks for the find.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #245  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 10:26 PM
GtownFriend GtownFriend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Boulder CO
Posts: 553
You're welcome.
It will be interesting to see how it all comes out. I tend to agree with you.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #246  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 11:41 AM
Jawnadelphia's Avatar
Jawnadelphia Jawnadelphia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 2,387



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #247  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 1:49 PM
Justin7 Justin7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post



Who is the target market for this hotel?

"Sir, you are too intoxicated to drive back to Jersey. Please accept this complimentary room."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #248  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 2:39 PM
iamrobk iamrobk is offline
Future World Dictator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Who is the target market for this hotel?

"Sir, you are too intoxicated to drive back to Jersey. Please accept this complimentary room."
LOL just had the exact same thought as I was looking at the picture. My guess is that it ends up being used by people looking for something close to the airport but who don't want to stay at the airport, maybe? Or business travelers who want to be in the city but not in Center City. Are either of these even markets that really exist, though?

If they wanted to do a Philly casino right, there should have been a huge, high-end development at 8th and Market with a focus on tourists. Oh well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #249  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 2:54 PM
Milksteak Milksteak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
LOL just had the exact same thought as I was looking at the picture. My guess is that it ends up being used by people looking for something close to the airport but who don't want to stay at the airport, maybe? Or business travelers who want to be in the city but not in Center City. Are either of these even markets that really exist, though?

If they wanted to do a Philly casino right, there should have been a huge, high-end development at 8th and Market with a focus on tourists. Oh well.
I was all for the 8th and Market casino proposal....but I still think this will do ok. They are slowly working on making the stadium district a destination outside of sports games. I've referenced it before, but in Pittsburgh around the stadiums there are a few hotels, restaurants, bars, etc. I think they'll be able to snag out of towners coming in for a game, drunk suburbanites, and yes....airport travelers that don't want to stay at the airport. The subway is right there too, so those that want access to CC have it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #250  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 2:59 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,508
^I don't recall ever seeing occupancy statistics for the old Holiday Inn on/near that site, but it was there for decades, back when we only had a concrete donut for a stadium. I suppose occupancy will come from whatever market that HI had, plus any additional traffic generated by the casino, Navy Yard (a big factor folks didn't mention yet), and improvements to the Sports Complex.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #251  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 3:08 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 2,639
Believe it or not, but the casino will have other entertainment venues beside the gambling piece. And, they comp rooms for many reasons. There won't be any trouble getting the rooms filled and utilized. If anything, this is an option for those that do weekend trips to AC.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #252  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 3:14 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,508
^As big a Philly fan as I am, I can't help but think of WC Fields paraphrased: "first prize = one night, second prize = two nights..."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #253  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 3:35 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^As big a Philly fan as I am, I can't help but think of WC Fields paraphrased: "first prize = one night, second prize = two nights..."
That's IT! No comp room for YOU!

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #254  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 3:47 PM
Boku Boku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 700
I wonder if the legalization of sports gambling and the integration of betting within professional sports teams will contribute to the success of this project.

I still find it very strange that Comcast has a televised show centered on betting that airs simultaneously with Sixers games.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #255  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 3:56 PM
SEFTA's Avatar
SEFTA SEFTA is offline
Philly Pholly
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
I was all for the 8th and Market casino proposal....but I still think this will do ok. They are slowly working on making the stadium district a destination outside of sports games. I've referenced it before, but in Pittsburgh around the stadiums there are a few hotels, restaurants, bars, etc. I think they'll be able to snag out of towners coming in for a game, drunk suburbanites, and yes....airport travelers that don't want to stay at the airport. The subway is right there too, so those that want access to CC have it.
I wouldn't mind a casino on Market Street but I just didn't like that proposal for 8th & Market. It deserves more than that. By that I mean bigger. I dream a lot. LOL
It should be noted that Pittsburgh's ball fields are a scenic, park lined walk across the river to Downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #256  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 4:55 PM
Milksteak Milksteak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I wouldn't mind a casino on Market Street but I just didn't like that proposal for 8th & Market. It deserves more than that. By that I mean bigger. I dream a lot. LOL
It should be noted that Pittsburgh's ball fields are a scenic, park lined walk across the river to Downtown.
Ha fair enough, I have high hopes for 8th and Market too, but at this point I'll just take 'not disappointing'.

Agree on the walk downtown to Pittsburgh, should be noted though that this is not a pleasant walk during the majority of football season (I can attest to this!). That's why I think it's so important that we have the BSL right there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #257  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 4:58 PM
SEFTA's Avatar
SEFTA SEFTA is offline
Philly Pholly
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
Ha fair enough, I have high hopes for 8th and Market too, but at this point I'll just take 'not disappointing'.

Agree on the walk downtown to Pittsburgh, should be noted though that this is not a pleasant walk during the majority of football season (I can attest to this!). That's why I think it's so important that we have the BSL right there.
Agreed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #258  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 5:05 PM
SEFTA's Avatar
SEFTA SEFTA is offline
Philly Pholly
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 712
I always thought it odd that they did not place the Sports Complex just to east. Waterfront stadiums seem so popular and would have probably included large waterfront parks. Watching the city coming back to life, tho, I'm now glad that that didn't happen. Now I want to see waterfront mixed use communities.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #259  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 5:40 PM
iamrobk iamrobk is offline
Future World Dictator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I always thought it odd that they did not place the Sports Complex just to east. Waterfront stadiums seem so popular and would have probably included large waterfront parks. Watching the city coming back to life, tho, I'm now glad that that didn't happen. Now I want to see waterfront mixed use communities.
Just going off Wikipedia, it looks like JFK Stadium was built in South Philly for the 1926 Sesquicentennial Exposition (basically the World's Fair). It looks like they had a pretty elaborate setup which required a lot of space (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sesqui...tenial_map.jpg) which is probably why they put it down there. I can't find much useful information on the Wikipedia pages for the Vet and the Spectrum, but my guess is they wanted them to be nearby the already existing JFK Stadium, and that was basically a bunch of city-owned swampland that wasn't really being used for anything after the Sesquicentennial. (Fun fact, the City still owns the land that the Linc and CBP are built on, but there's a complicated ground lease through PAID/PIDC, who then lease the ground to the Eagles and Phillies.) Of course, I think we all know the more recent history - the Phillies thought about a Center City (Chinatown, I believe) ballpark before deciding to stay down there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #260  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 6:06 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,508
^There may have been a Chinatown discussion, but I recall the main focus being near the state office building at Broad & Spring Garden. There was also talk of building over the 30th Street rail yards.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:01 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.