HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 10:58 PM
Only Mostly Dead

A little more on Block 3. First, this is just the west end of the lot. The east end is still owned by the Redevelopment Agency (as far as I can tell anyway) and is slated for 97 affordable rental units. The west end is being built by Urban Housing Group who developed neighboring Strata. Here's a description from the Redevelopment Agency's website:

Quote:
The project will consist of market rate rental units.

The project will be built as two (2) stories of Type I construction consisting of a parking garage, retail space, residential lobbies and residential units. Above this podium will be an additional five (5) stories of residential units built with metal framing, Type III construction. There will be 147 apartments, 5,000sf of common area amenities and approximately 9,000sf of retail space. It is anticipated that the foundation will be designed as a pile system.
I read elsewhere that there will also be 147 parking spots. 1:1 parking surprises me considering it's right on the T-Third line. The project also includes 15 bicycle parking spaces. That's seven more than are required, but just doesn't sound like very many.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 6:25 PM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 6:58 PM

Looks pretty nice, thank you!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 8:22 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I like it too. Thanks for finding those, 1977.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 1:24 AM
Paramoderator

I love it. From an urban standpoint, it is perfect. Dense, urban, and a tram (or MUNI- whatever) line in front! I wish all cities in the U.S. were like this.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 4:35 PM

Guys,
I am very happy to report that Block 2 had its ground breaking last Wednesday and there is some serious dust flying now. Here are a few images that I took yesterday 09/27/11. I live in Mission Bay so I'll make sure to update with photos on a regular basis.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6804206...in/photostream

Last edited by sahran; Sep 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM. Reason: Photos weren't appearing

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 4:56 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Hello sahran, and welcome to the forum! I look forward to your updates. Unfortunately, your photos aren't appearing. The URLs for them seem to lead to a Gmail account. It usually works best if you can first upload them to a free photo sharing site like Flickr or ImageShack, then use the URLs they provide for your photos. Let me know if you need any help with that.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 5:31 PM

Thanks Peanut,
Its exciting watching Mission Bay transform into a connected neighborhood on a daily basis. I made the changes you suggested. Let me know if you can view images.

Thank you

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 6:03 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Great, now you can get the URL of the actual photo:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6125/...727e2098_b.jpg

Rather than the Flickr page it appears on:

Add the tags, and voila:

You can get the photo's URL by selecting "View all sizes" under "Actions" then right-clicking (or ctrl-click on a Mac) on the image to "Copy image address."

Hope this helps! And thanks for sharing your photos. It is fun watching that whole area transform. Must be extra interesting for you since you live there. As a resident, has it hit the critical mass to feel like a real neighborhood yet? Or does more of the 4th St retail and other northern developments need to happen first?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 6:20 PM

It is especially exciting to be living in an area that continuously is improving on a monthly basis and is trending upwards. It still feels like an area more so than a walk-able neighborhood. I think, at the moment, the phrase "urban prairie" coins it well. Walking Mission Bay, you'll see great lots with panoramic views but then you'll also see surface parking lot after lot with weeds growing out of control. I do think though with Blocks 2,3,11,5 &13either already in the works or in the works soon, that in the next two years, Mission Bay will feel much more like a neighborhood. Can't wait!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 4:15 PM
heavy user of walkability

blocks 2 and 3

welcome sahran! it will be great to have someone else in the neighborhood uploading images as things progress.

I've just come back from a trip, so am catching up on things... thanks as always, peanut and WC, for the info and pointers to more.

took a brief walk around yesterday to see where things stood... first was excited to see that the asphalt on block 2 had been scraped up, in a sign of new activity, as sahran alluded to with the news of the groundbreaking there. at least from the renderings, I like the Third St (east) project better than the Fourth St side (which is too bad), but I will just be happy to get something up there - I think it will be significant in changing perception of the area south of the creek into one of neighborhood.

(these pics were taken mostly before the morning clouds had burned off, so things will look a little gloomy)

this is looking basically west from Third:

and this looking northwest, showing the pile-driving activity on block 3 (west) off to the left, and block 2 in the distance. I hadn't realized when the driving started on 3 that it was limited to the western half of the lot.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 5:12 PM

elsewhere...

I was eager to see more change than there was at the northwest roundabout area, but things are coming along in any case. some planting has started in the roundabout itself, including a semi-circle of trees (looking southeast-ish):

... and, on the Owens (south) side, more planting has gone in in the other median approach sections, as well as sidewalk trees along Owens. not sure if it can be made out in this size of photo, but it looked like ground-lighting had also been installed for the trees in the roundabout:

and, meet the latest section of new street for MB: the block of Nelson Rising Lane behind the neurosciences building had its fence along Fourth removed and it looked like they were just carrying out some final surface work before they open it completely.

the fence blocking off the section of the lane behind the CVRB had also been taken down, so it seems the work there is wrapping up after many months. one more little piece of MB we can almost check off.

at the hospital site, there was noticeable evidence of the parking garage coming out of the ground (I assume that is what I was seeing). this is the view looking south from Owens across Sixteenth:

I wasn't able to grab a screenshot, but you can always take a better look using the site webcam, too. to pan over to the garage you may have to take control of the camera using the button in the lower-right-hand corner.

and, as if someone were slowly filling a graduated beaker with some glowing-blue-hued liquid, the glass continues to fill in, floor by floor, over at Madrone. looks like they are working on the roof stuff now, so certainly topped out:

can't see in this shot, but from closer-up the framing around the windows looked gray to me, so I'm a little concerned Madrone won't be as bright-looking as the models I've seen of it, where the overall impression was of a white building. we'll see.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 12:01 AM
Droppin' Loads

I'm interested to see how the glass looks once they remove that protective covering. I too hope it turns out lighter than it currently appears. If the glass is clear it would certainly appear lighter on sunny days.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 1:48 PM

Topping out ceremony for the UCSF hospitals is scheduled for Monday.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 3:17 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Steel buildings go up so fast.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 9:16 PM
Waiting for what's next..

Next will be Long and Moffitt at Parnassus...

Hummm... and here I am, stuck at the Parnassus campus! At least I know that Radiation Oncology will have a special place after all is operational.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 6:01 AM

roundabout area

after not being able to check for a couple weeks, I wandered around a little this afternoon...

in the northwest corner of MB, I didn't note as much progress as I had hoped to see. one reason may be that for some reason, they have had to tear out half of the bed of the road (in both directions) that links the roundabout to Seventh. not sure what went wrong there:

one new thing, tho, was they they had begun to erase the last traces of the intersection of Sixth and Channel. there is no chain-link fence or curb next to the fire hydrant in the foreground anymore...

seen from the Owens approach on the south side, not much has changed since the last photo posted from this location (but at least now you get a sunnier view of it)... you can barely see that the roundabout itself has had its planting completed:

... and they have filled in the cobbles at the base of the street-trees, on the east side, next to where the public school will someday be...

... and on the west next to the future playing field:

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 6:27 AM

blocks 2 and 3

over at blocks 2 and 3, also not too much change... block 2's gravel now has sprouted little neon pink tufts, but I didn't see anything else different (this is looking roughly east from Fourth, Channel St angling off from the left):

again looking east, this will be the passageway between the two blocks (2 on the left). I'm not sure if it will be pedestrians-only, but I'm pretty sure it is not intended to be a fully-functional street - alley maybe?

and looking northwest, block 3 piles on the left:

and looking south from Fourth and Channel:

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 6:43 AM

Madrone

maybe it's just me, but they don't seem to be getting that glass in at exactly a lightning pace:

here's the Third St side:

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 7:09 AM

2121 Third

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I really like this proposal just a couple blocks down Third. From SocketSite:

It's just the one on the right. The building on the corner is already built.
on the back side (the Illinois side), this is what that parcel looks like currently. am looking forward to the new development!

something that doesn't get mentioned too much is how the development of Third St is also in many cases transforming Illinois. it might be hard to see, but this development will fill in the gap in this shot:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development