HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Honestly liquor marts are the worst. I rarely drink but needed a bottle of drambuie and some beer for a gift. There was a line up of like ten people and one cashier with about half a dozen staff walking around doing nothing… then another staff comes out the back and comes towards the tills, yay another one is opening, nope. It’s time for the one cashiers break. She signs out, leaves and the other one signs in. While everyone waited. Then the cashier made me take the beers one by one and hold them for her to scan. She didn’t want to touch them after I had touched them. Seriously the worst customer service I have ever had. Lol.

Then on top of it feeling like you’re entering a prison going in. The local lockport grocery has booze on display and no interrogation to get in.

Whenever I went to the LC in Winnipeg, there were always lineups that long. In the 12 years I have lived in Alberta, I have never been in a lineup of more than 3 people. Usually, there is either one person ahead of me, or none at all.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 9:38 PM

^ Just don't go to the LC on a Friday night. I typically go on a weeknight evening or early in the day on Saturday and it's never busy.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 10:00 PM

I checked my calendar… it was a Tuesday afternoon.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I checked my calendar… it was a Tuesday afternoon.
Then I don't know.

I can't say that I have ever had to deal with inordinately long lineups. I mean, sometimes you just happen to show up at the same time as 10 other people so you have to wait a while... any retailer will be busier than average at some points. But I find them pretty good at opening up more tills and moving people through. Some times of year are generally quite busy (e.g. Christmas) but that's the same at every store. I don't find MLCC to be fundamentally flawed in terms of how they handle customer service. I find they are no different than anywhere else.

I do recall when you had to bag/box your own products and hold them up to be scanned, but that was a pandemic protocol that has since been relaxed.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 1:02 PM

I'm not anti-LC, I've had great service and lineups arent too bad (inside). What pisses me off is wating outside in -20 for 15 minutes. I'm all for security but they need to figure out a way for people to wait inside. It does piss me off when they question why i dont look too much like my ID. I'm almost 50, had long hair before, short hair now. I dont believe i fit the thief profile, lol

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Agreed ^. Compared to Ontario, I’d say we have it pretty good. The private wine sellers in Winnipeg are able to bring in interesting speciality products that the LC does not bother with, and the liquor store has a considerably better selection of just about every spirit compared to Ontario.

I wish we allowed for speciality stores. I’d love a store that brings in hard to find whiskey or rum, but it really is not a priority for me.
I do agree the private wine shops in Winnipeg do a decent job bringing in product the gov't stores do not carry. As for spirits, the LCBO carries a much larger selection than the Liquor Marts - 2237 vs. 1362.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
I do agree the private wine shops in Winnipeg do a decent job bringing in product the gov't stores do not carry. As for spirits, the LCBO carries a much larger selection than the Liquor Marts - 2237 vs. 1362.
That is interesting. My observations are completely anecdotal. I wonder if it’s partly a format issue. A lot of the LCBO’s I’ve been to are quite a bit smaller than your typical Manitoba Liquor Mart. Anecdotally, I just find that the Manitoba Liquor Mart’s tend to have a better selection of spirits in the $40-$100/bottle range actually on the shelf. However, I just spent a few minutes online and it’s pretty simple to have bottles shipped to different stores.

I really wish a Manitoba Liquor Mart would open on Sherbrook. I feel like every third development in Ontario cities has an LCBO as a tenant.

Last edited by GreyGarden; Apr 19, 2023 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 2:53 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ment-1.6819161

IMO this is one case where cynicism is perfectly justified. The relocation discussion has been going on for years. Since the PC's are the ones that killed that last discussion, expecting them to do more than pose for the cameras is, I believe wishful thinking.

Sadly, it seems it would take a Lac Megantic-level disaster (or worse) to get people moving seriously on this.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 3:00 PM

It's a minor yard derailment. The only reason it was even noticed is because it affected a commuting route.

Chasing rail line relocation and the billions it would cost is like taking out a second mortgage to buy a cabin cruiser while your roof is on the verge of caving in. There are far, far, far more pressing needs for that money.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 5:55 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Where's the video.
It's just been released.

Unless there is something there that can't be seen, Mr. Khan's got a lot of explaining to do...

Big ol' serving of nothing to see here in that video.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
It's just been released.

Unless there is something there that can't be seen, Mr. Khan's got a lot of explaining to do...

Big ol' serving of nothing to see here in that video.
Aside from Wab's thugish behavior on not letting go off his grip on Obby's hand

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 7:03 PM
the first stamp is free

^ sure, but these is no shoving going on there. Which was what he was accused of. Not a "thuggish" handshake.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 7:31 PM

Khan pulls away and Wab pulls him back in. Thug, bully, intimidating.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 7:47 PM

To me as someone who doesn't really like either party looks like a nothing burger

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 7:58 PM

No doubt that Kinew was being hostile and a little aggressive towards Khan. I also think it’s clear that Khan exaggerated and was a little loose with the truth. Not to be old fashioned, but Khan should’ve been a man and taken it on the chin - be the bigger person rather than going to the press with exaggerations and lies. Kinew was stupid to act unprofessionally.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Kinew was intimidating Obby Khan? The 6'3" 280 lb ex-professional football player? Geez, sport, I know you're devoted to the PC's, which is totally your right, but how about a little reality here? Even people who support Kinew admit he acted stupidly. Why can't you admit that Khan over-reacted to the event for political purposes? No-one will doubt your PC cred, and they may respect your opinions a little more.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 12:08 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

The politicking is at peak with this "incident" between those two.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 12:56 AM

UFC manitoba next fight will be dougald lamont vs green drop

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Wab pulls him back but they immediately lets go of Khan's hand. Why didn't Khan just walk away at that point. At no point in the interaction did Wab look at all intimidating in talking to a man who is more than a head taller than him.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
UFC manitoba next fight will be dougald lamont vs green drop

LOL deep cut

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan