HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I see the old blue bonnets horse race track is abandoned that might be an excellent spot for a stadium compared to expensive downtown land values.
The city of Montréal wants social housing and nothing else on that land. They will do anything to build those there except paying for them...

Peel Bassin might be a better location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4900...!3m1!1e3?hl=fr

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiK View Post
The city of Montréal wants social housing and nothing else on that land. They will do anything to build those there except paying for them...

Peel Bassin might be a better location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4900...!3m1!1e3?hl=fr
Good point did not know that

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 9:04 PM

Quote:
I am not sure what spots in downtown Montreal would be still available for a Stadium or if it would better fit on Universite de Montreal Campus or Concordia?
Possibilities there?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Possibilities there?
Looking at images of their U sports football stadiums for reference they don't look suitable for a cfl and mls stadium with poor roadway networks that would not be able to handle the crowds.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 4:35 PM

https://3downnation.com/2023/03/20/c...tes-president/

Cheerleader-turned-executive Annie Larouche perfect candidate to be Alouettes’ president

Ever since being mentioned by name at Pierre Karl Péladeau’s introductory press conference, former team employee Annie Larouche has been at the top of the list when it comes to speculation about who will succeed Mario Cecchini as Alouettes’ team president.

Peladeau was asked if Larouche’s name is in the mix and he responded by wondering if the reporter knew more than they were letting on while smiling. He then pointed at and called that reporter smart. The 61-year-old billionaire wouldn’t comment on which candidates were being considered, but the implication was clear: Larouche is well on the owner’s radar.

When the Als rebooted in 1996, Larouche was on the field thanks to her athletic abilities as a cheerleader. She eventually ran the squad and also worked in team promotions prior to heading up the Alouettes foundation and community relations department.

After the arrival of the Canadian Elite Basketball League in Montreal, Larouche was wooed away to help with launching the Montreal Alliance in 2021. She started out as director of operations but has since been promoted to vice president, the role in which she currently serves.

How did the Alliance do in their inaugural 2022 season, you might ask? While their on-court record was abysmal, the team led the league in ticket sales, attendance and merchandise sales. That’s no small feat when you consider Montreal has been a virtual wasteland for failed sports franchises. See: Expos, Juniors, Matrix and Express just to name some.

She emanates a natural poise, level of class and charisma. Larouche is humble, hard-working, well-liked and polished. The CFL has long been an old boys club with the exception of recent success story Catherine Raiche, so Larouche would be a breath of fresh-yet-familiar air. She understands the league and the market intimately.

“She’s definitely qualified to be considered for Alouettes president. Annie is a true professional and well-respected in CFL circles. She was very loyal to the Alouettes organization for 25 years,” said Denburk Reid, former head of community relations with the Als.

“I consider Annie a friend. She’s an incredibly hard worker and has a great network in the sports world. Like me, she’s incredibly competitive as well,” added Reid, McGill’s all-time leading men’s basketball scorer and founder of both the Red Rush Basketball Leadership Program and the Montreal Community Cares Foundation.

I invited Larouche to last year’s Montreal Sports Celebrity Breakfast, an annual charitable event in the city that attracts top sporting names, both past and present. While the Canadiens will always be king and take up most of the time on stage, Larouche was only too happy to come alongside Alliance general manager and former NBA champion Joel Anthony. She graciously worked the room and spoke eloquently — despite the event moment being at her table and not on stage. She made the most of her time and her words resonated with the crowd that day.

At Alliance home games, Larouche is very hands-on and can be seen greeting VIPs, coordinating with staff and walking several miles in a couple of hours. Her energy, hustle and willingness to do whatever it takes to be successful are precisely what the Alouettes need.

Larouche recently said that speculation involving her name is flattering but she hasn’t yet been contacted by the Alouettes. Another candidate of note is former Als running back Eric Lapointe, who works in the financial sector and was part of a bid to buy the franchise in 2020. Perhaps former Als executive Mark Weightman, the current president and CEO of the ECHL’s Trois-Rivieres Lions, is also in the mix.

But if the Alouettes want someone to make an immediate impact without a steep learning curve, Larouche is the clear choice to be president.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 4:37 PM

https://3downnation.com/2023/03/29/y...-canadian-way/

‘You can’t just keep talking, you have to take action’: CFL commish Randy Ambrosie approaching expansion in ‘Atlantic Canadian way’

CFL expansion into Atlantic Canada is at the forefront of commissioner Randy Ambrose’s mind.

Soon after being hired as the league’s 14th commissioner in 2017, Ambrosie began talking about expanding the CFL to 10 teams to truly become coast-to-coast.

Since hosting a preseason game in Haifax in 2005, the league has not been able to figure out a way to put together a viable stadium out east to house a CFL team. However, the commissioner believes the three-down league can get into that market with what he’s calling a “temporary-permanent” solution.

“What we’ve done is a lot of listening and one of the things that we’ve heard is come at this in an Atlantic Canadian way. Think about the market finding a solution to the stadium rather than the CFL defining its need for this stadium,” Ambrosie told 3DownNation.

“One of the things that came out of that is perhaps what Atlantic Canada can start with is what we’ve been describing as temporary-permanent. An expanded stadium based on the way we do our Touchdown Atlantic games now and the way we do some of our Grey Cups.”

The league has staged a number of Touchdown Atlantic games over the years, most recently last season when the Toronto Argonauts “hosted” the Saskatchewan Roughriders in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. The two teams played at Raymond Field on Acadia University’s campus. The league expanded capacity from the 3,000 permeant seats the facility usually has to over 10,000 for the one-off event.

Touchdown Atlantic will return in 2023 with the same two teams playing only this time the game will take place at Huskies Stadium on the St. Mary’s University campus in Halifax. A stadium solution has not been the only holdback for trying to get a team running on the east coast. The other major piece has been finding a committed local ownership group.

“Gary Drummond and his partners, I have nothing but the greatest respect for but we agreed that part of this process was probably time to put that on hold for now,” Ambrosie said. “We said to them that we were going to be out there talking to other groups and they’ve been perfectly comfortable with that.”

The league that group in place in 2018 when Schooners Sports and Entertainment, led by Drummond and Anthony LeBlanc, were granted a conditional franchise which included lots of pomp and circumstance during the Grey Cup Festival that year in Edmonton. The coronavirus pandemic and a lack of interest from local government leaders, including Mayor Mike Savage, to put public funds towards building a multi-million dollar stadium kiboshed those plans.

Without a current viable local ownership group, one idea that has been floated is the league owning and operating an east coast franchise until a permanent owner can be found. That would get the CFL into the market, potentially prove that a team in Atlantic Canada is viable and would allow the league time to find a committed local owner to take over while still being able to reap the on-field benefits expansion would provide.

“If I was asked by my governors, I would tell them not to do that. I say that because when you see what happens in a market with local leadership and local energy, you see what [B.C. Lions owner] Amar [Doman] has done. The community teams, Saskatchewan owned by the people of Saskatchewan, Winnipeg owned by the people of Winnipeg and of Manitoba. You see what Bob Young and Scott Mitchell have done in Hamilton. What John Ruddy and Roger Greenberg have done,” Ambrosie said.

“They’re in the market, I’d say that is the foundation of a great franchise. Somebody, some group of people, who are in that market, who believe passionately in their market, who want to give back to the community. A big part of our value proposition is our connection and commitment to the community. If the governors asked me, I wouldn’t suggest that’s the right path. Let’s go find somebody, show them why this is the right thing to do and it’s the right time to do it, and get them committed.”

Ambrosie views expansion as having a positive effect beyond simply adding a 10th team that could make the CFL product more attractive for fans. Moving the schedule up to accommodate for favourable weather conditions has been Ambrosie’s goal since becoming commissioner.

“There’s a lot of energy within the league. The benefits that would come with that 10th team, changes our scheduling. Instead of having to play 18 games in 21 weeks, we could play 18 games in 19 weeks. That means Grey Cup isn’t the third week of November, it’s the end of the first week of November. It means your playoff games are in October and it means more of our games are played in the summer season, which is really good for the CFL and fans.”

Revenue for CFL games in the summer is higher than any other time of the schedule. While adding a 10th franchise would definitely be a crowning achievement of his commissionership, making the schedule more fan-friendly with fewer cold-weather games would be a major plus for the league. Ambrosie is keenly aware that the CFL expanding out east has been a topic that’s been discussed for a long time and he realizes that it’s time to replace talking with doing.

“On the CFL’s side, I think we all know that we just can’t keep talking about this because at some point fatigue sets in. We believe that expansion to 10 teams is really a critical next step for this league’s future. We also have to say you can’t just keep talking, you have to take action. The next several months will be critical,” Ambrosie said.

“Our plan is to go into Atlantic Canada in a very positive, very forthright way. We’re going to define what expansion looks like. We’ve made a commitment to our board. We’ll make that case for what expansion needs to look like to potential ownership groups. We’re going to work with our governors to make sure we’re clear and precise on what expansion will look like and then we’re going to take that to the market.”

When might the CFL reach double-digit teams for the first time since American expansion in the mid-1990s? While the commissioner will not lay out a timetable for a 10th team to begin play, he does believe this new temporary-permanent stadium idea could get it moving faster than many believe.

“That was a really important moment in the process. We started having this conversation and the more we had it the more energy those key centres of influence were bringing to the conversation,” Ambrosie said.

“That could be a real solution — it’s got economy to it and can be done fairly quickly. We have been talking to people who are genuinely interested in having the conversation with us. That happened because temporary-permanent looks like it’s a viable way to approach the expansion into another market.”

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 4:38 PM

https://3downnation.com/2023/03/28/p...ident-and-ceo/

Pierre Karl Péladeau hires Mark Weightman as Alouettes president and CEO

Montreal Alouettes owner Pierre Karl Péladeau has hired Mark Weightman as president and CEO of the team. He will start his new role on April 11.

Weightman will bring stability to the organization while ensuring its long-term future, development and outreach. He will work to strengthen the relationship with season ticket holders and fans across Quebec. The Concordia and UQAM graduate will also continue to develop the customer experience and try to grow the presence of the team and players in the community.

“We are convinced that he will be able to meet the challenges facing us, with the collaboration of all the Montreal Alouettes’ employees. Mark and I share the same vision for the long-term future of the team both in terms of its day-to-day management, its return to financial health and our desire to grow our group of core supporters at the stadium and in Quebec,” Péladeau said in a statement.

“These are conditions that will allow us to put Montreal back at the top of Canadian football. I would like to thank the other strong candidates we met during the process. I would also like to thank Mario Cecchini for his work as president of the club over the past three years. He did his job under difficult circumstances.”

Weightman has over 28 years of experience in professional sports. The Saint-André-d’Argenteuil native has led and collaborated with several major professional sports organizations, such as the Als, where he held various positions from 1996 to 2016, including president and CEO from 2013 to 2016 plus president of the Alouettes Foundation from 2015 to 2016.

“It is a real privilege for me to be reunited with the Montreal Alouettes, a team I love, know and have always followed. I would like to thank Mr. Péladeau for the trust he has placed in me. Our team has a rich history to develop and promote,” Weightman said in a statement.

“I will work on this enthusiastically with all the colleagues who are already at work, whether they are in our offices or dedicated to football operations under the guidance of our general manager, Danny Maciocia. There’s a lot of work to do before the regular season kicks off, like the draft and training camp, but we all look forward to introducing you to your 2023 Alouettes.”

Weightman was also a key figure in the launch of a new ECHL professional hockey team in Trois-Rivières, which he has been running since 2020. He has helped create a new professional basketball team in the CEBL, the Montreal Alliance. He worked with the Laval Rocket organization and restructured a first-division professional hockey team in Switzerland (National League) and a professional hockey team in the Swedish Hockey League (SHL) in Sweden.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 4:38 PM

https://3downnation.com/2023/03/27/a...owned-company/

Alouettes sign partnership with Videotron, Pierre Karl Péladeau’s Quebecor-owned company

The Montreal Alouettes have signed a multi-year partnership with Videotron.

Videotron is a subsidiary of Quebecor Inc., which is owned by billionaire Pierre Karl Péladeau, who officially purchased the Als earlier in March. The 61-year-old Montreal native has an estimated net worth of $2.6 billion CAD. He is the CEO of Quebecor, a Montreal-based media and telecommunications company that operates assets such as Videotron.

Quebecor has been a competitor to Bell Media when it comes to regional cable, phone and internet. The CFL’s television rights are held exclusively by Bell subsidiary TSN and its French-language off-shoot RDS through the 2025 season.

“This association with Videotron is a natural fit”, Alouettes director of sales and corporate partnerships Brian Weightman said in a statement. “The company is rooted in the culture of Quebecers and they have always had a real passion for sports. We are very pleased with this agreement today.”

The agreement will contribute to enhancing the fan experience during home games as well as see the Videotron logo on both the home and away jerseys for the Als beginning with this upcoming season.

“It is with great pride that Videotron is partnering up with the Montreal Alouettes, along with their rich history. This partnership reiterates our engagement toward the sports and entertainment industries,” Frédéric Déry, marketing vice president — residential market, Videotron and Fizz, said in a statement.

“On top of supporting and highlighting the sport’s elite, it is equally important for us to contribute to the growth of a new community of fans that brings people together, and one that is well entrenched in Québec.”

Videotron will also be the title sponsor for Montreal’s June 10 home opener against the Ottawa Redblacks, a game that will feature a unique halftime show which is set to be announced in the near future.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 5:43 PM

Really cool. Already seeing the immense benefits of a local owner with deep pockets.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 11:10 PM

Quote:
‘You can’t just keep talking, you have to take action’: CFL commish Randy Ambrosie approaching expansion in ‘Atlantic Canadian way’
Bit rich coming from Uncle Randy.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 11:20 PM

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie dismisses rumour that Tom Brady was interested in purchasing Alouettes
3Down Staff 3downnation April 2, 2023

What about Brady as a minority owner of the Schooners? Because of the solid ownership in the league, take the expansion fee and instead of giving it to the other owners turn it into a Schooner's rainy day fund like Edmonton used? to have.

If this guy is crazy enough to burn his cash on the WNBA, the CFL might not be a bad place to put some cash on something he might have an interest in. Who were the other high profile bidders for the Als who missed out? Would Tom Brady be enough to interest Robert Irving?

Fun to speculate on things which are improbable but not impossible.

Rod Pederson Show

6 – TB12: It was no early April Fools joke when I reported this week that Tom Brady was part of an ownership group kicking tires on the Montreal Alouettes this winter. A source close to Brady in Florida told me of this months ago and there was another big sports name involved, although they weren’t the money men in the group. “The application is on Randy’s desk!” I was told. However CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie was quoted on Friday as saying, “All I can say is I don’t remember talking to Tom Brady at any point during the process so I don’t know where that rumour came from.”

Three things on Randy’s quote: 1) That’s not a denial, 2) Who said he talked to Brady directly?, and 3) You could see why the CFL wouldn’t want this story to get out because many fans would prefer Tom Brady be involved with the CFL over Quebecor/Pierre Peladeau, the eventual owners of the Alouettes.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 2:35 AM

A tidbit from uni football; Simon Fraser University will be shutting down their American football team who played in NCAA (rather than playing Canadian rules in this country).

Good riddance if you ask me and my heavy sense of schadenfreude.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
A tidbit from uni football; Simon Fraser University will be shutting down their American football team who played in NCAA (rather than playing Canadian rules in this country).

Good riddance if you ask me and my heavy sense of schadenfreude.
As I said in the other thread I bet it will have been a political decision at SFU. You never want to see a program go down, hopefully it will be saved and go back into U Sports if SFU reapplys (contrary to rumours saying U Sports rejected them)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 9:49 PM

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/11/c...r-rudderstack/

CFL enters into partnership with American data platform vendor RudderStack

The CFL has entered into a partnership with RudderStack to become the league’s customer data platform vendor.

This relationship is the next step in the CFL’s continuing digital transformation, a process which began in December 2021 with its partnership with Genius Sports. The addition of RudderStack to the league’s marketing technology stack will help deliver a more tailored fan experience.

“From coast to coast to coast, our league has the most incredible fans,” said Tyler Mazereeuw, the CFL’s chief revenue and marketing officer. “But our fans in B.C. are different from our fans in Hamilton, and Rider Nation has different priorities than our east coast communities. Casual fans may wish to learn more about players, while seasoned fans may want to see the latest team merchandise.”

“To customize our marketing efforts and to deliver them at scale, we must sort through, organize and better understand our fan data. Through our strategic partnership with RudderStack, we’ll gain additional insights and we’ll be in a stronger position to deliver more personalized communications, bespoke experiences and more relevant engagement.”

Based in San Francisco, California and founded in 2019, RudderStack specializes in delivering trustworthy, real-time data to cloud data warehouses and conducting in-depth analysis to provide a clear picture of customer profiles and preferences. With a team composed of data engineers and data scientists, RudderStack prioritizes privacy and security when providing information to the league and CFL teams.

“Much like the CFL, we believe in putting people first. This principle guides not only better business, but also better relationships with customers, and in this case, fans,” said Eric Omwega, Vice President of Marketing at RudderStack. “Our data-driven insights will provide precise information, allowing the league to cater to specific individuals or entire markets to create a more personal connection.”

The partnership between the two furthers the league’s commitment to pursue innovative avenues of engagement and explore new ways to connect fans with the game.

“From the CFL Newsletter with the latest updates and information to CFL GameZone with exclusive games, contests, prizes and much more, we’re only scratching the surface of fan engagement,” added Mazereeuw.

“RudderStack will allow the league to push its boundaries and give fans what they want and deserve – a CFL experience to truly call their own.”

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 2:44 PM

New BC Lions uniforms unveiled they are going to all black home unis with orange sleeve stripes and numbers and road unis going to fog grey.

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/13/n...grey-uniforms/

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 3:04 PM

https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers/...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

The Winnipeg Football Club posts an operating profit of $4.9 Million in 2022.

WINNIPEG, MB., April 13, 2023 – The Winnipeg Football Club today released its 2022 annual report, announcing an overall operating profit of $4.9 million.

“We are extremely proud of our overall financial results for 2022,” said Winnipeg Football Club President & CEO, Wade Miller. “These results are a testament to the unwavering support of our season ticket members, corporate partners, and fans.”

Revenue totalled $45.4 million in 2022, an increase of $12.5 million over 2021, a result of playing a full football season as opposed to the shortened season of seven regular season home games in 2021. Ranking first in the league in 2022 attendance, the Club achieved strong gate receipts of $13.8 million.

“We attribute these strong ticket sales to our season ticket members and fans. We had five home games where attendance surpassed 30,000 fans in 2022, matching the record set in 2013, which was the inaugural season at IG Field,” said Miller.

Total operating expenses came in at $40.5 million, an increase of $9.8 million over 2021. This increase was also attributable to playing a full regular football season last year. While the Club continues to invest in its on-field product, overall football operations expenses totalled $13.3 million last year.

In 2021 the Club entered into a new agreement with the Government of Manitoba and Triple B Stadium Inc. whereby a capital fund was established. The Club made annual allocations of $2.9 million to the capital fund and $1 million to the Club’s operating reserve, for total allocations of $3.9 million during the year. The Club closed out the year with a capital fund balance of $11.5 million and an operating reserve balance of $5.6 million at December 31, 2022.

“Our strong financial results allowed the Club to make these allocations and build our reserves for future years to invest back into our stadium,” said Miller.

The Club recorded an impairment loss on the loan receivable from Valour FC Inc. of $950,000 as the Canadian Premier League team’s estimated future cash flows continue to be uncertain.

“The Winnipeg Football Club has a strong history of profitability. Our stakeholders continue to play an important role in the success of our Club, both on and off the field”, said Miller.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 3:38 PM

^ Canada's greatest football club

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 9:26 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
New BC Lions uniforms unveiled they are going to all black home unis with orange sleeve stripes and numbers and road unis going to fog grey.

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/13/n...grey-uniforms/
I like the new look, just not the grey pants on the road. Black pants with the grey top would look much better IMO.

Last edited by craner; Apr 25, 2023 at 5:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 7:13 AM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 9:07 PM

new stampeders uniforms released more just red and white with less black outside of the third jersey edition.

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/18/r...-new-uniforms/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada