HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 3:58 PM

Stoon is over 80,000 more then us. Haha I guess Regina will always be the lil big brother.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 4:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchedmofu View Post
Stoon is over 80,000 more then us. Haha I guess Regina will always be the lil big brother.
This is not a surprise and has been the case since the 80s.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
True but there is still some internal migration from rural/smaller communities to Regina. I suspect this is much less than 20 or 30 years ago. SK birth rate is much higher than the national average due to a younger population and high numbers of Indigenous persons.
Very true. We might see a bump of migration from places like Ontario and BC as well because of faster increases in cost of living in those places as well as overcrowding. Our increasingly conservative provincial government may pose as a threat to that potential though as it should come as no surprise that younger generations are demanding more progressive policies economically but especially culturally and Saskatchewan doesn't have the best reputation lately for either (i.e. the Sask Party being cozy with the fossil fuel industry and now anti-vaxxers, while also constantly disparaging left voters, environmentalists, Quebec, etc.).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchedmofu View Post
Great news on a side note Saskatoon’s metropolitan area is twice the size and landmass than Regina’s so that makes up some of the population

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Very true. We might see a bump of migration from places like Ontario and BC as well because of faster increases in cost of living in those places as well as overcrowding. Our increasingly conservative provincial government may pose as a threat to that potential though as it should come as no surprise that younger generations are demanding more progressive policies economically but especially culturally and Saskatchewan doesn't have the best reputation lately for either (i.e. the Sask Party being cozy with the fossil fuel industry and now anti-vaxxers, while also constantly disparaging left voters, environmentalists, Quebec, etc.).
Although younger people have more recently been attracted here by jobs as opposed to cultural/political concerns. Maybe there are jobs everywhere now and that won't be enough. I still hear of young families returning to SK due to the favourable combination of high paying jobs and low housing costs.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 5:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Although younger people have more recently been attracted here by jobs as opposed to cultural/political concerns. Maybe there are jobs everywhere now and that won't be enough. I still hear of young families returning to SK due to the favourable combination of high paying jobs and low housing costs.
Ya, personal economics usually trumps anything else. Let's hope this is the case. I know of at least one friend and possibly two others looking to come back here this year after being in BC for several years.

Last edited by djforsberg; Jan 14, 2022 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 5:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
Great news on a side note Saskatoon’s metropolitan area is twice the size and landmass than Regina’s so that makes up some of the population
I've always considered Regina's population density as a source of pride. That likely has to do with us having less "nature reserves" and non-developed land more than anything, however, as I believe Saskatoon has way more multi-family housing and apartments than us (especially recently-built).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 9:13 PM

It also doesn't hurt that we have flat land with few geographic inhibitors in all directions. There are no hills, valleys, rocks or water to work around.

And when we do have land that shouldn't be built on (marsh, etc) we build on it anyways!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 9:14 PM

Saskatoon probably has an extra 70,000 people within 10 km of their downtown, so it's not like it's some StatCan conspiracy.

They're legitimately a bigger city and metro. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging the truth.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 9:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
It also doesn't hurt that we have flat land with few geographic inhibitors in all directions. There are no hills, valleys, rocks or water to work around.

And when we do have land that shouldn't be built on (marsh, etc) we build on it anyways!
Lol ain't that truth (typed from my home office in the Lakeview marsh)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Saskatchewan still experiences overall net out-migration of Canadians.
Reference?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 1:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skphc08 View Post
Reference?
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-saskatchewan/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 2:25 PM

I keep noticing that regardless of the number of posts I submit, my total number of posts has not changed at all since at least May 2021 (I can't go further back in my history). Is this happening to everyone, or just me?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 3:46 PM

https://www.ckom.com/2022/01/12/jami...a-competition/
And they’re off! Regina and Saskatoon are neck and neck in a race for a new arena.

Although it shouldn’t be a race. It’s not like whoever builds first means the other city won’t, but we could be years away from two new rinks and entertainment facilities in our main cities.

The last we really heard Charlie Clark talk about a new rink was his state of the city address expressing a desire to beat Regina to the punch on a new rink. We’re still awaiting the promised locations for where that new arena would be.

Meanwhile in Regina, REAL — the group that runs the Brandt Centre and Mosaic Stadium for the city — is out with a new public survey on the current rink. It’s old, outdated, and needs millions worth of upgrades. And of course, Regina Pats owner Shaun Semple has made it clear he wants a new arena.

The new mayor of Regina, Sandra Masters, just so happens to be the former chair of the REAL board.

It would appear Regina is ahead with major players and potential private money willing to invest.

Your move, Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 4:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
I keep noticing that regardless of the number of posts I submit, my total number of posts has not changed at all since at least May 2021 (I can't go further back in my history). Is this happening to everyone, or just me?
Hmm I haven’t noticed anything. Before this post, I had 2008 total, so let’s see if that updates for me… (edit: it did!)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Very interesting. A quick Google search didn't turn this up. And I've never heard of them before and I'm pretty interested in this sort of thing. And there seems to be a paywall preventing me from looking at their references.

That sounds like I am casting doubt on the veracity of the reference. I'm not specifically...I am simply reporting that it isn't easily searchable or verifiable.

I assume their source must be Statistics Canada. But searching last night, I couldn't easily find comparable data on the SC website. SC is not particularly user-friendly though, so I guess it could be in there somewhere...

Finally, a word about the data. I guess that follows the larger macroeconomic context of declining oil prices in the middle of the last decade, and then perhaps COVID more recently stopping people from moving around as much.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 9:38 PM
BANNED

The numbers are on Stats Can’s website, I’ve seen them there before. There’s also been various news reports on it over the years. Anyways, it certainly shows a different reality to the Sask Party’s supposed superiority in running this province and shows how commodity prices have more to do with our “success” than anything else, while failing to maintain that post-boom (migration was a net positive prior to the Sask Party first being elected in late 2007, tracking the boom in oil and potash prices).

As far as Covid goes, it has resulted in the opposite of what you’re suggesting. In fact, it resulted in a lot of people changing jobs or retiring (I’m sure you have heard of the “great resignation” and the supposed “labor shortage”), and relocating as a result. I saw a story that suggested rural population growth outpaced urban for the first time in history (like you, I can’t seem to find it right now). I guess we will soon see where our province fits in that.

Edit: found an article that talks about the rural population growth and other recent population statistics here.

Last edited by djforsberg; Jan 15, 2022 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Hmm I haven’t noticed anything. Before this post, I had 2008 total, so let’s see if that updates for me… (edit: it did!)
Thanks for checking!

I estimate that I should have around 35,000 posts by now

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 10:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Thanks for checking!

I estimate that I should have around 35,000 posts by now
Lol no problem

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
The numbers are on Stats Can’s website, I’ve seen them there before.
I haven't on a brief search. I note you quoted a different site than SC so neither of us could find it reasonably quickly or easily. They probably are in there - just not a user friendly UI.

Quote:
(migration was a net positive prior to the Sask Party first being elected in late 2007, tracking the boom in oil and potash prices).
Not according to your reference. Saskatchewan Party took over in 2007, your data shows net positive interprovincial migration starting that year and thereafter for several years. Prior to 2007 it is all negative, sometimes approaching -10k per year.

Quote:
As far as Covid goes, it has resulted in the opposite of what you’re suggesting.
Incorrect. 2021-2022 shows a reversal of the trend established 2013-2020. Based on these past 7-8 years, we would expect a net outflow of an additional 1-2k people per year; however, we actually see a net outflow of ~2k fewer people per year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan