HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
With all this uncertainty, I thought I'd post an update to the list of towers currently under construction, planned, or prospective in Salt Lake City. The cutoff to be included is 50 meters (164 feet tall).

Projects included:
Under Construction: Convexity Tower, Astra Tower
Planned: Six South Residential Tower, 150 S Main Street, Soren Tower (aka 370 S West Temple), 465 S Main Street, West Quarter: The Grid SLC, Six South Life Science Tower
Prospective: Sundial Tower, West Quarter Block D, Regent Street Tower.
I removed The Cascade from the prospective list entirely.
FYI:
The West Temple Tower (Soren Tower) height was increased to 313 feet in the most recent renderings.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 6:14 PM

Hotel Monaco ‘growing up’ with complete overhaul to Main Street building - https://buildingsaltlake.com/hotel-m...reet-building/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 4:21 PM

Astra today:

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 4:23 PM
Space Magi

Nice. I noticed yesterday when passing through SLC that the core of Astra is now as tall as Liberty Sky.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 10:10 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
With all this uncertainty, I thought I'd post an update to the list of towers currently under construction, planned, or prospective in Salt Lake City. The cutoff to be included is 50 meters (164 feet tall).

Projects included:
Under Construction: Convexity Tower, Astra Tower
Planned: Six South Residential Tower, 150 S Main Street, Soren Tower (aka 370 S West Temple), 465 S Main Street, West Quarter: The Grid SLC, Six South Life Science Tower
Prospective: Sundial Tower, West Quarter Block D, Regent Street Tower.
I removed The Cascade from the prospective list entirely.

If I had to pick just two to get built, I'd go with Sundial and 105 S Main.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 8:04 AM

Out of the ones planned, I would go for the West Quarter project (to fill out the west side), and 465 S Main (to extend the skyline south). I have mixed feelings about Sundial still. I hope it gets built in some fashion, but I still am not in love with the design.

I obviously want the Main Street Tower the most due to location, but a part of me is hoping they come back with an even taller and more distinctive proposal.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 1:51 PM

I think the Main Street Tower is an ugly franken-building that won't age well, and the mid-block park plan isn't great. Though I'd prefer to see it built over leaving a hole in the ground for a decade.

I want the most prominent, blighted gaps in the urban fabric to be filled. So, the two projects I'd like completed first are the Grid/West Q (finally removing Royal Wood Plaza and making 200 S a complete urban street) and Soren Tower (finally filling that empty plot on one of the biggest entry streets into town).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 9:43 PM

I am hoping the West Quarter gets completely done with the two taller buildings making it through as well. I think this project will be a big game changer for Salt Lake it it happens.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 9:52 PM
NIMBY Hater

I have had conversations with the Ritchies and know they are committed to the West Quarter project. They are trying to do the Jazz practice facility there and have a STK Steakhouse going into the ground floor of The Charles. I think they even hope the SE corner can exceed the 375' height. But like every developer, there are challenges right now, and it will all depend on what the market looks like and what pencils out. The project will likely span several more years. I have a lot of confidence in those guys to get it done.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
I have had conversations with the Ritchies and know they are committed to the West Quarter project. They are trying to do the Jazz practice facility there and have a STK Steakhouse going into the ground floor of The Charles. I think they even hope the SE corner can exceed the 375' height. But like every developer, there are challenges right now, and it will all depend on what the market looks like and what pencils out. The project will likely span several more years. I have a lot of confidence in those guys to get it done.
A new practice facility in the west quarter sounds awesomeee and I can't wait to see how they package the site. There is a 2016 article on new NBA practice facilities that suggests teams to be going with larger facilities to do a lot more than just practice in. The current practice facility has ~50,000 square feet.

Current practice facility: Zions bank basketball campus

If anyone is curious this article goes into detail about the current facility:
NBA: Inside the ZBBC

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 11:23 PM

The Kum & Go in Sugarhouse is finally on the next planning commission agenda on April 12th.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
I would die if they built a STK here. Salt Lake really needs better restaurants, but we’ve improved so much recently with Urban Hill and others. Really hope we see this project rise. Wouldn’t mind seeing others like the West Quarter also.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 12:27 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeshavocado View Post
I think the Main Street Tower is an ugly franken-building that won't age well, and the mid-block park plan isn't great. Though I'd prefer to see it built over leaving a hole in the ground for a decade.

I want the most prominent, blighted gaps in the urban fabric to be filled. So, the two projects I'd like completed first are the Grid/West Q (finally removing Royal Wood Plaza and making 200 S a complete urban street) and Soren Tower (finally filling that empty plot on one of the biggest entry streets into town).
Oh I am not a fan of the Main Street tower but at this point, with what was demolished, something better be built there soon.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 3:52 PM

Astra this morning:

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeshavocado View Post

I used to be a lot more excited for the West Temple tower (Soren) than I am now. The exposed parking structure is a huuuuge no no for me. To the point where I don't think I'd mind if the project fails to be built as currently designed.

Soren is a perfect example of Salt Lake City needing to pass code changes banning exposed parking structures in the D-Zones and require all of them to be covered in cladding or some other method of coverage.

The original design was MUCH better:

I also think that if Soren needed to go through design review it wouldn't have been left exposed and they would have stuck with the original design. However, since they can build up to 375 at a corner (corner rules supposedly going away?) by right without a design review, they can basically get away with it. I think Salt Lake really needs to rethink how they separate design review from no design review.

If it was me, I would require everything in the D-Zones going through design review no matter how big or small. I think we would get better architecture and better projects Downtown by doing that.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 7:05 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCHenry View Post
I would die if they built a STK here. Salt Lake really needs better restaurants, but we’ve improved so much recently with Urban Hill and others. Really hope we see this project rise. Wouldn’t mind seeing others like the West Quarter also.
https://gastronomicslc.com/2023/02/1...tk-steakhouse/

The ink is dry on the deal.

Last edited by Schmoe; Mar 31, 2023 at 7:10 PM. Reason: Grabbed wrong link

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 8:50 PM

/\/\/\
/\/\/\
I do know that the typical SLC Design Standards prohibit the ramped side of the garage to be exposed to a public street like that. I also believe there are other requirements that require it to be screened, etc.

However, it looks like those requirements are not required in the D-1 zone. ??! I have no idea why SLC would not want those requirements for the D-1 zone also.

See 21A.37.060 Table D
https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/code...ut/0-0-0-68150

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 11:32 PM

Well we always talk about pro sports expansion on here and some big news just dropped on KSL. Ryan Smith has met with the NHL commissioner and there appears to be mutual interest in bringing a team to Utah.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2023, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
Well we always talk about pro sports expansion on here and some big news just dropped on KSL. Ryan Smith has met with the NHL commissioner and there appears to be mutual interest in bringing a team to Utah.
Would love an NHL team but a SLT article says that a new arena may be needed for the Jazz and the rumored NHL team. Bet it would be in the suburbs. Big no no.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2023, 2:22 AM
Lahaina Strong

The tribune article posted on the Reddit earlier about the decade-early closure of Pacificorp's Hunter and Huntington plants is a great read. Hunter and Huntington will have selective non-catalytic reduction installed by 2026 to comply with emissions rules and both will fully close by 2032. The 2021 IRP had Huntington closing in 2036 and Hunter closing in 2042.

I have been poking around the IRP today and there are some interesting things.

Pacificorp plans an all out renewable energy blitz. In the coming years they will pursue plans to quadruple the amount of renewable resources in the state.

The most relevant info for this page is probably their plans for Gadsby:

They still plan to keep these units online until 2033 with no mention of an early closure for development (This was mentioned in the 2021 IRP). This means that Gadsby will likely outlive Hunter and Huntington and development will likely be phased to develop the power plant's footprint last.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West