HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadcastthatboom View Post
For real, love the new influx of residents in the neighborhood! But can we FINALLY get another grocery store in this area...Society Hill/Queen Village only has the too small, terribly overpriced and all-around horrible experience that that is the Acme at 5th and Pine. It's too bad the planned Giant Heirloom at 2nd and South seems to have fallen through
Rumor around QV is that Squilla threatened to take away the tax breaks Blumenfeld gets for his below-market Abbotts Square units unless Blumenfeld finally updated the electrical system in the ground floor space to accommodate a grocery store (something he has refused to do despite leasing the space to Giant 7 years ago). That work happened a few months ago. Because the lack of adequate electrical is the reason Giant didn't open, we were all very hopeful that perhaps the project would now move forward. But still no visible movement... So we'll see.

Meanwhile all of us in the immediate vicinity will continue our chorus of regular complaints to SouthStreet/Headhouse and Squilla. Blumenfeld sucks.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 11:52 PM

Crane is down. Looks great.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:48 AM

Just one floor of glass as well!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 4:49 PM

Exterior Nearly Complete At One Dock Street

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2023/02/exte...-old-city.html

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 9:57 PM
Fishtown & Country

2/23

Seen from the BFB walkway

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 1:22 AM

^nice shot!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 1:47 AM
Fishtown & Country

Thanks... hadn't been up on the walkway in a while and wasn't expecting Dock St to be so noticeable.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 5:05 PM

That is indeed a great shot! Love seeing it from that angle

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 8:43 PM

Image is too big to post here, but I saw this on reddit: https://i.redd.it/92clk56spjna1.jpg
The view from Jersey is pretty nice. This building looks very slick and modern. I wish Philly had more like it.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 6:59 PM

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 12:02 PM
PHL

From yesterday, 27 April ‘23

Last edited by gjrip; Apr 28, 2023 at 5:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 1:27 PM

Surprise, surprise - the NIMBYs were wrong. This tower looks fantastic.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
Surprise, surprise - the NIMBYs were wrong. This tower looks fantastic.
The NIMBYs never complained about the design, it was simply NIMBYs being NIMBYs simply because they don't like change.

And I may be in the minority but calling this building fantastic is a disservice to our truly fantastic buildings like FMC, the Alexander, and 2222 Market; this building is not in the same league, at all. No, this design is meh. It's a clunky glass box, really nothing special about it. The photos shown on this page, in particular, are not very flattering (similar to the CTC when viewed directly from the n/s). Someone here once explained that the reason Philly has so many wide towers has to do with zoning (FAR clauses) and the way the City's lots are laid out but I don't recall the specifics.

For a number of reasons, the City is better off WITH this building than without. But let's not pretend it's winning any design awards.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
The NIMBYs never complained about the design, it was simply NIMBYs being NIMBYs simply because they don't like change.

And I may be in the minority but calling this building fantastic is a disservice to our truly fantastic buildings like FMC, the Alexander, and 2222 Market; this building is not in the same league, at all. No, this design is meh. It's a clunky glass box, really nothing special about it. The photos shown on this page, in particular, are not very flattering (similar to the CTC when viewed directly from the n/s). Someone here once explained that the reason Philly has so many wide towers has to do with zoning (FAR clauses) and the way the City's lots are laid out but I don't recall the specifics.

For a number of reasons, the City is better off WITH this building than without. But let's not pretend it's winning any design awards.
Disagree, but at least you're consistent. It's an understated design but it has a simple elegance to it with the grid pattern. I agree its least flattering view is from the north but I actually really like the view from the south, and I don't feel it's a disservice to those other buildings to call it fantastic just because it's not as striking as them.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Disagree, but at least you're consistent. It's an understated design but it has a simple elegance to it with the grid pattern. I agree its least flattering view is from the north but I actually really like the view from the south, and I don't feel it's a disservice to those other buildings to call it fantastic just because it's not as striking as them.
The views specifically down Dock Street from 3rd and to the northwest from the Penns Landing jetty are great. I don't think I've seen the latter posted. I'll take a pic next time I'm down there.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 4:51 PM

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post

Lol.

This place is too much. Hahaha.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 7:48 PM

^ You don't have to be a dick if you disagree. I said I didn't love the design, which is something totally subjective. At least the previous posters who disagreed provided some context. Now I remember why I stopped coming here for a while.

(Also, if a building only looks good from certain angles, is it really that "fantastic"?)

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 9:02 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Lets not start a war over design differences, this tower is a decent addition, I have to agree with Mcbane, lets be honest the design could have been better & more fitting for the area, I believe old city should have some more thought out designs, something like the Alexander or the pepto bismal building in a different shade would have fit the area better, even the Hilton down the street has a fitting design for the area.

This density is great tho, but a full glass tower would do great in CC or the like.

Lets also remember we dont have to go at each others necks for difference in opinion we all are here for development

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 10:24 PM

De gustibus non disputandum est.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive