HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 4:12 AM

Thumbs up My Thoughts on UT rails

I would totally agree to have a TRAX line go up Foothill! I do realize that there will be opposition from locals, but that didn't stop TRAX the first time and doesn't seem to be stopping the Mountain View Corridor freeway in norther Utah County. Oposition couldn't even stop Legacy, though it did stall it for a decade or so. Where there's a will, there's a way, right? Obviously compromises will need to be met and plans will change, but it will probably be built eventually in one shape or another. When gas here reaches the point it is currently in Europe, these opposing locals will be clammering for a light rail line.

As far as light rail is concearned, we currently have a line just to the east of I-15, spanning roughly the center of the valley (Sandy Line) that will soon go from Down Town all the way to Draper. We then have a northern East-West route going from Down Town to the U of U, which will soon link to another line that will continue roughly the same route to the Airport. Then there's the West Valley line that will take people from S. Salt Lake out to 27th West in West Valley, neighbored parallel to the south by the Mid-Jordan Line that will service West Jordan, South Jordan, and Day Break. My ideal plan for TRAX to reach at some point (hopefully between 2015-2025) would be to have two additional lines added to those already proposed/under construction. First, I would love to see a line that would follow Foothill southward to where it will connect with the Draper Extension. I also see sense in sending a second additional TRAX line down Bangeter, connecting the Airport Line to the Draper Line around the west side. Bangeter already has plenty of fenced-off empty space beside it along many parts to accomidate the grade necessary for light rail. With this plan, we would have 5 in-bound/out-bound routes (6 if you count Draper, but I just think of it as an extention of the Sandy Line) and 2 belt routes that service the West Side and the East Side.

I also love the idea of a Front Runner route to Park City! Though it would take some work and money, it would be somewhat feasible to insert the grade necessary to accomidate this line down I-80 (Either in the center, as is common in Bay Area commuter train routes, along either side, or split so that Park City-bound tains are on the south side of the freeway and SLC-bound trains are on the north side). It could then connect to the exsisting railway that the Provo FrontRunner line will follow and end at SL Central. I think it would also be a great idea to continue this line from SL Central westward on toward Tooele.

Here's a rough map (I inserted my renderings of the Park City FrontRunner, Tooele FrontRunner, Foothill TRAX, and Bangeter TRAX - plus I had to add the Provo FrontRunner because the map is out-dated):

Last edited by Urban_logic; Jan 9, 2009 at 4:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 4:41 AM
Exit 298

A transit map like that even makes an ol' freeway fan like me drool. I do think the east side could use an additional rail line.

One critique: TRAX will NEVER run on Bangerter. The only way is if they elevated it double-decker-style.

Slow rail and a high-speed expressway don't work well together.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 4:44 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
It would have to be a Front Runner train. Trax trains are not designed to climb the grades that would be required to get to park city.
A Portland-style tunnel then?

We can add it to the list next to my "Mountain View Corridor"-trans-"Great Salt Lake"-Ogden dream bridge!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 4:48 AM

Isn't there a BRT line planned for the center of the mountain view corridor what will eventually be upgraded to light rail?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 5:50 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
Isn't there a BRT line planned for the center of the mountain view corridor what will eventually be upgraded to light rail?
No. BRT/LRT will run on 5600 West street. The Mountain View Corridor is a freeway with carpool lanes in the center. The freeway will be a half block west of 56th.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 6:02 AM

[QUOTE=i-215;4014521]A Portland-style tunnel then?QUOTE]

You mean the freeway tunnel immediately to the west of downtown Portland? like this?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 6:04 AM

[QUOTE=i-215;4014521]A Portland-style tunnel then?QUOTE]

You mean the freeway tunnel immediately to the west of downtown Portland? like this?

http://picasaweb.google.com/correa.s...22523732503666

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 6:13 AM

Thanks I-215. I remembered reading about the BRT line when the MVC EIS came out, that was why I thought the transit was on the MVC.

Here are the maps of the two possible alignments of the MVC with the 5600 west transit.

From the udot website

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 6:29 AM

Lightbulb

Excellent ideas, but with wrong type of train on the bypass lines.

I don't think you'll get the same number of riders on bypass lines as you will get feeding the central backbone into the city center.

Instead, I would use DMU type trains on new single track lines without freight services. These single track lines are capable of 20 minute headways during peaks, during non peaks, drop the headways to 60 minutes. DMU train cars are as large, or much larger than light rail cars. Seating capacity is over 100 passengers, crush capacity up to 200 passengers per car. If they have to be electric powered, identically sized EMUs are available too.

For light rail expansions, what's wrong with extending the new westward lines a few miles towards the east?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
Actually, I do remember reading somewhere that Kennocot is planning to put in a light rail line along the Bachus Hywy (U-111, runs along the West Bench - ranges from 84th to 70th West). Let me see if I can find that for ya!

*searches internet*

"[The West Bench development] would all be tied together by a "transit spine," ultimately connecting current light-rail lines to a new north-south line running the length of the west bench development, from the Davis County line to the Utah County line. And, one day, the area is expected to be home to a half-million new Wasatch Front residents."

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,635167155,00.html

It sounds like it's still on the drawing boards, but I think what might happen is that Kennecot Land will partner with UTA and create their own light-rail that will inter-connect with the existing TRAX system and other UTA routes, shuch as buses, BRT's, etc.

215, I think that a light rail could be fit onto the Bangeter corridor with a little re-alignment of the existing roadway. I think the toughest part will be the stretch through West Valley from about 31st South to 47th South. Even so, they may, unfortunately, have to buy up some resedential property beside the Hwy. But if Kennecot builds this West Bench "transit spine", I think that will fulfill the need for a line along Bangeter. Maybe they could then put in dedicated BRT lanes along Bangeter instead. I like the idea of BRT lines along 56th West, Bangeter, Redwood, and 7th East. With light-rail along Bachus, I-15 (Sandy line), and Foothill, North-South travel in the valley will be exceptional!! That would make 7 North-South routes (3 light rail, 4 BRT). As to East-West BRT, 35th already has one. Additionally, I would like to see BRT installed along 54th South, 90th South, 104th South, and 126th South.

Oops! I just realized that I forgot to draw in the Redwood BRT. Just imagine it's there

Last edited by Urban_logic; Jan 9, 2009 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 7:07 PM

Funding comes through for mid-Jordan TRAX

$428M » Feds kick in 80% of total tab for line set to open in December 2011.

By Brandon Loomis And Rosemary Winters
The Salt Lake Tribune

The Federal Transit Administration has agreed to channel $428.3 million to the Utah Transit Authority to build the mid-Jordan light-rail line.

The funding represents 80 percent of the total cost of the project and makes it possible for the TRAX extension to open by December 2011.

The new line will run from the existing TRAX station near Fashion Place Mall to the Daybreak development in South Jordan, with nine stops in Murray, Midvale, West Jordan and South Jordan.

UTA already has begun work on the spur and reports that 25 percent of construction now is complete.

By 2030, the 10.6-mile line is expected to carry 9,500 passengers a day and reduce the number of miles traveled by car by 65,000 daily.

"The mid-Jordan extension is the latest federal down payment to support Utah's visionary and ambitious effort to develop a world-class public transportation 'backbone' by 2015," acting FTA Administrator Sherry Little said Friday in a statement. "This investment helps ensure that Utah, as the 'crossroads of the West,' is well positioned to compete for new jobs, new businesses and a vibrant tourist trade."

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11415885?source=rss

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 2:41 PM

UTA receives $428 million in federal money for Mid-Jordan TRAX line

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705276331,00.html

Acting administrator of the FTA Sherry E. Little signs a check for more than $400 million at a press conference in Midvale on Friday. (Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News)

Residents of Salt Lake County's growing west side are $428 million closer to light rail in their neighborhoods after Federal Transit Authority officials presented a check for that amount to the Utah Transit Authority on Thursday...

...The money for the Mid-Jordan extension of the TRAX light rail system is the latest installment in the "federal down payment to support Utah's visionary and ambitious effort to develop a world-class public transportation backbone by 2015," Little said. "This investment helps ensure that Utah, as the crossroads of the West, is well positioned to compete for new jobs, new businesses and a vibrant tourist trade..."

Last edited by delts145; Jan 11, 2009 at 3:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 6:47 PM

Cool

I am just giddy about this project!!

Pretty soon I will be able to hop on TRAX and be downtown in no time! I can ride it one way to work in Day Break, and I can ride it the other direction to school down town! But why does it have to take so f'n long?! I suppose there is a chance that it will finish a little early? I think the other two lines finished a little early if I remember correctly. Maybe late 2010 or early 2011?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 7:52 PM
Exit 298

The I-15 contractor lied and said it would take "4-to-5 years" knowing they'd be done in three and a half. It makes good P.R., gives them some slack room, and a nice bonus for finishing early.

Now everybody does it. Especially UTA. Remember how they bragged about Frontrunner North finishing "early"?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 3:35 AM
BANNED

Something like this could be cool:

or this:

Last edited by urbanboy; Jan 12, 2009 at 5:43 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 3:55 AM
Exit 298

Don't forget to add the 5600 West line!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 3:23 PM

Regarding Foothill, the width of the right of way south of Foothill Village makes any sort of rail line along there very difficult. The ROW varies from 100-110 feet. LRT requires a minimum of 28 feet horizontal right of way. that reduces the overall width down to 70-80 feet. If you put in 15 feet of sidewalk and park strip on each side, you are down to 40-50 feet. With a minimum lane width of 12 feet, at the wide parts (between FV and 1700 South) you could get 4 total lanes with no on street parking, no bike lanes, etc. At the narrow points, you would be 8 feet short. You could reduce the sidewalk/park strip width, or have the track line a single track at that point, but it is incredibly difficult to time the trains over that length. Not to mention that Foothill is a UDOT road, so I doubt they will be too into giving up ROW for a rail line.

For comparison purposes, 400 South is approx. 132 feet wide. South campus Dr through the U is only about 80 feet wide, but the sidewalk is integrated into the curb and most of it is outside of the official right of way. The travel lanes are also only 11 feet wide, but they can be that width with the reduced speed limit.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 5:10 PM
Chairman

FTA Funds

Congrads to the SLC region. The Feds seem to have great confidence for the area's economic growth. This will definitely bring more positives to metro SLC.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 1:11 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Anybody know where the proposed "Supertunnel" high-speed transit/hydro power plant would have ran? It should also be back on the drawing boards.

I think with all the trillions congress seems hell-bent on spending regardless of practicality, it should at least be spent on something that will benefit our future generations.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 4:49 AM
Exit 298

Well, if we're talking dream projects ...

Let me introduce you to Interstate 415, Utah's ultimate infrastructure boost! Complete with a sister network of higher-speed at grade expressways.

If Utah got the money and started building this tomorrow, both Urbanboy and I would probably die of heart attacks.

But for totally different reasons.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West