HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 8:14 AM

First post

Greetings everyone.

According to the UCSF site, this will be built north of the Koret Quad. I believe it is parcel 19 just east of Rock Hall.

Source: http://today.ucsf.edu/stories/neuros...he-next-level/

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 8:15 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
No, I don't. There was some question about that on Curbed. I'm hoping Timbad, WildCowboy or someone else more intimate with Mission Bay than I am can tell us.
happy to oblige!

should be on the lot just to the west of Rock Hall (which I think you can just barely see on the right side of the rendering) and bordering the north side of Koret Quad (which is where you would be standing if you were seeing what's in the rendering). think that makes it the west half of block 19.

so that wavy glass façade should get plenty of natural light

here's the URL of the official UCSF press release:

http://news.ucsf.edu/releases/ucsf-n...rain-diseases/

in it, I noticed this:

"In their actions today, the Regents also approved $37 million to fund the drafting of preliminary plans, working drawings and basic site infrastructure to support the neuroscience building and three adjacent blocks of real estate at Mission Bay for future UCSF research buildings. ...

The LEED-silver certified building will be 25 percent more energy efficient than the base LEED-sustainability standard and achieve 20 percent water use reduction over the Energy Policy Act of 1992..."

so nice that something will be getting underway as the CVRB winds down!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 8:15 AM

Correction

Sorry, just west of Rock Hall.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 8:11 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the info, guys. And 1977, welcome to the forum!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 3:13 AM

here are a few shots of the current state of the site of the future neurosciences building.

from approx the same vantage point as the rendering:

from Rock Hall looking west (1500 Owens in the distance):

from the pathway on the north side of the Quad, looking back more or less northeast (CVRB peeking out from behind Rock Hall in the distance):

as I think you can see, there is currently equipment on the site, and some digging immediately adjacent to Rock Hall, but it has been going on for a while, and is I assume independent of the new building.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 5:18 AM

Mission Bayside

I noticed today that they were digging in the dirt mound that has been sitting covered for probably over a year, just south of the parking lot for the boat club at the bayside foot of the Commons.

here's a shot from the top of the South St garage, looking east-southeast toward the Bay. South Street is in the foreground and the southwest corner of the Old Navy building is on the left.

beyond the ON building, South Street ends at Terry François Blvd. coming from the left (north), it is in its new alignment, but as it continues south it hooks toward the Bay (at the site of the new dirt-play) to meet up with its former self. soon (I wish I knew the timeline off the top of my head) the rest of TFB will be pulled inland, and the land that remains on the bayside will be converted into a waterfront park. if I understood an article I read the other day correctly, they have recently evicted the occupants of the low sort of ramshackle building you can see at the water's edge, since it is to be demolished. (I believe they are keeping and renovating the more solid boxy building to its left.) all this to say, I am intrigued if the dirt moving is any indication that the realignment of TFB, and maybe even then conversion to park, is imminent.

in the Bay you can see the remains of the piers that have crumbled into the water there. in the water off to the right is part of the functioning dry-dock facility at the Pier 70 complex. just out of the picture to the right is the large hospital ship Mercy, currently in for maintenance, and quite noticeable with its white paintjob and huge red crosses.

Last edited by timbad; Jan 24, 2010 at 5:40 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 5:50 AM

welcome

... and let me add my welcome to 1977! (I still feel like a relative newbie here myself)

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 3:57 PM

Any digging going on around the neurosciences building area right now is likely related to a massive pipeline repair job the university is rushing to get done before construction starts on the new building.

A small utility plant built to the north of Rock Hall provides steam, chilled water and power to Rock Hall, the Diller Building, and CVRB and neurosciences once they open. A pipeline infrastructure was installed under the streets a little over a year ago to pipe all of that stuff to the buildings, but something disastrous happened soon after construction and the underground vaults flooded, destroying equipment and pipelines galore. As the full scope of the damage has come clear, it looks to be in the tens of millions of dollars, which the university believes should be covered by insurance. But the repairs, which are difficult to perform due to the depth of the pipelines and the need to work around other utility lines placed above the pipelines, need to be done now, as some of it is on the same land as that needed for the neurosciences building.

I believe they got regental approval for the rush job last week and they were ready to go the moment they got the OK.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 7:15 AM

thanks for the inside scoop, WildCowboy! as always, great info.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 3:05 AM

From Curbed SF and the San Francisco Business Times:

Quote:
The SF Business Times noted on Friday that a number of projects would be moving forward this year: Martin Building's 2235 3rd St and 178 Townsend, and Emerald Fund's 333 Harrison, maybe by the end of the year. Then there's Mission Bay's late-blooming Radiance, which had already had in the piles for Phase II when it got put on hold. Developer Bosa had hoped in 2008 that they'd be able to start construction on the 318-unit sequel by spring of 2009, according to the SFBT, but further funding was contingent on getting Phase I two-thirds filled — a benchmark they ended up meeting sometime before July last year, thanks to price cuts of up to 30 percent. Finally, "Radiance West," now cut down to 170 units, might be seeing the light of day. The building would take two years to finish, assuming funding goes through for Bosa.
I wonder how accurate that smaller number of units is.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 4:02 AM

Radiance West

I'm almost positive I read somewhere (I think in the SF business Times) that Radiance West will now be built in 2 phases. I hope the 170 units they are talking about is just the first phase of the 2.

Since we are on the topic, here are some renderings of the full build out I hadn't seen before:

Images: http://www.fillonsolis.com/projects....se/Mission-Bay

Also, here some renderings of the planned Mariposa Park:

Images: http://www.wrtdesign.com/news/headli...riposa-Park/87

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
I'm almost positive I read somewhere (I think in the SF business Times) that Radiance West will now be built in 2 phases. I hope the 170 units they are talking about is just the first phase of the 2.
You are correct. Here is a post quoting that Business Times article last summer about the two phases: 200 units in "Phase 1 of Phase 2" and the remaining 100+ units to follow after that.

Here's hoping that's still the plan.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 9:04 PM

Mission Bay

That's it! Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 10:53 PM

Ah, thanks for the clarification! Good to know that the project isn't being permanently scaled back.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 11:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNBKLYN View Post
Ah, thanks for the clarification! Good to know that the project isn't being permanently scaled back.
I'm not sure they'd be allowed to scale it back. The Planning Dept. has been counting on Mission Bay for a lot of the new housing it wants to see built in SF.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 12:49 AM
Only Mostly Dead

So if the first phase is supposed to be the larger one, I'm hoping that means the two towers are in phase 1 of phase 2 (maybe we should just start calling this phase 2a). One thing Mission Bay desperately needs is some variety in height.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 4:47 AM

neurosciences building news

this was sent out today re: the new neurosciences building:

"Dear Neighbors,

You will soon see activity on the Neurosciences Research Building site, which is next to Rock Hall, north of the Koret Quad. This week, some equipment will be moved to the site and grading will begin. Next week, workers will start installing indicator piles, which will help determine the types and sizes that will be needed for production piles. Note that the piles will be drilled (using augers), not driven. This method minimizes vibration and the “pounding” effect. Pile drilling is expected to end by 2/22, with pile testing and analysis continuing until about 3/12. ..."

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 7:42 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^Great news! I like the big curved glass wall on the one side and can't wait to see it get underway.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 5:03 PM
BANNED

I realize this project isn't actually part of Mission Bay but it's adjacent and will make a big difference in Mission Bay so this seems the best place to put this:

Quote:
Friday, February 12, 2010
Batters out in San Francisco Giants’ $2B project
Waterfront team to rebuild
San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen

The San Francisco Giants are rushing to assemble a new team to redevelop 16 acres across from AT&T Park after the economic downturn prompted key equity investors in the project to pull out or scale back their involvement.

While the shake-up in the team on the $2 billion development is still in flux, Kenwood Investments will likely drop out of the project, while hedge fund Farallon Capital Management could opt out or play a much smaller financial role than originally planned, according to development and port sources. Another non-equity team member, blue chip developer Wilson Meany Sullivan, which is working with Kenwood on the redevelopment of Treasure Island, could drop out or act as a consultant depending on what the new group looks like. The Cordish Cos., the Baltimore-based developer that has built several mixed-use villages near baseball parks, will remain involved. The Giants are also in discussions with other equity partners that could come into the mix.

San Francisco Giants Senior Vice President and General Counsel Jack Bair said his group has only discussed the changes informally with the Port of San Francisco, which owns the land. He said he told the port that there would be changes both to the make up of the development group, as well as the current phasing of the project, which calls for housing and office space to be part of the early construction phase . . . .
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...15/story2.html

Last edited by BTinSF; Feb 12, 2010 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 4:00 AM

I agree this is a good place to put news related to that project. what happens with it has a big impact at least on the feel of the rest of Mission Bay, and I certainly hope things are settled soon so it can progress.

in other news...

drilling and grading has indeed begun at the neurosciences building site! a couple of angles looking east-northeast with Rock Hall in the background (and CVRB peeking). the small bulldozer you can see in the distance in both pics was active yesterday (Sat). I didn't see any other activity, either with the larger grader in the foreground or the pile driller.

and, someone had left the fencing open around the new plaza behind ex-Pfizer (I will probably call it that forever, sorry), so here is a sneak preview from its little knoll, looking roughly southeast toward the Old Navy building (it feels good to reflect that for years after it was built in about 2001, the ON building was visible all the way from the Fourth St bridge - now it's tucked behind plenty of company). the South St garage is barely visible on the right side.

and, apparently it is spring in Mission Bay, 'cause look what is going on over at Latte Lane:

the folks at Gladstone, Celgene, and the UCSF Orthopedics Unit have a very nice little garden for themselves!

Last edited by timbad; Feb 15, 2010 at 4:34 AM. Reason: added text

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development