HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 5:55 AM
heavy user of walkability

on Fourth St, the trees have lost their leaves, and it looks like block 2 maybe has one more storey left. I really thought block 3 would start rising faster than it has, but it's also making progress:

at the public safety building site, they're just about done lining the walls of the excavation with concrete:

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 5:06 AM

Amusing to see that the brand new roundabout doesnt comply with federal standards.

They painted stop lines instead of yield triangles. Striping 101 fail.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 4:11 AM

random updates...

on block 13E, it's rebar time (looking south with Fourth St in the background):

working our way south, next door at block 5, the brief pause after pile-driving finished seems to be over, with activity starting onsite again (looking north. protective scaffolding has been erected over the sidewalk along Fourth, on the right):

continuing south, the basin for China Basin St west of Fourth has been newly excavated (and looks like plowed under):

compare this photo from Nov 18:

at the UCSF parking garage they're re-installing the panels they had taken down a few years ago, with the north side done...

and over at the public safety building, the steel for the surface-level portion of the building along Third has popped up (seen on the left here, looking north):

and looking south:

Last edited by timbad; Jan 21, 2013 at 4:29 AM. Reason: added Nov 18 pic

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 8:54 AM

Thanks timbad!

I'm not sure how current they are, but I found some renderings of Block 13W:

http://www.burohappold.com/projects/...block-13w-210/

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 6:01 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Thanks timbad!

I'm not sure how current they are, but I found some renderings of Block 13W:

http://www.burohappold.com/projects/...block-13w-210/
Ugh! I hope the tower looks much better than the the 60s looking renders.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 7:15 AM

280 lop-off

this has been mentioned before, but now none other than the mayor is floating the idea of bringing 280 down to a boulevard à la Octavia at some point south of 16th St. when this was brought up before, I think my comments were only mildly supportive, but now I am much more enthusiastic.

as mentioned in the first article, besides tying MB in better with Showplace Square and the foot of Potrero Hill to the west, it would allow undergrounding of the rail line, which in turn would allow trolley or even streetcar service into Mission Bay from 16th.

people seem to be drooling over the Caltrain railyard too, but you have to store the trains somewhere, and I don't imagine they would underground the whole track area. there was that idea of SPUR's to develop the space *over* the tracks...

note that in that report it does say:

Quote:
the ideal solution would be to depress the Caltrain tracks below ground level so that the buildings and the street could be at the same grade. However, this solution would be extremely expensive to do because the tracks would need to run beneath Mission Creek. This entire area was originally either open water or wetlands, and it drains a large watershed. Mission Creek also is the site of a major sewer outfall. Putting anything underground, therefore, would be very expensive. At this point, we simply do not know whether placing this rail infrastructure underground would be feasible or not.
so maybe it's not the slam-dunk people seem to be thinking it is to take care of the 16th St intersection

Last edited by timbad; Jan 23, 2013 at 7:29 AM. Reason: added streetsblog link

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
this has been mentioned before, but now none other than the mayor is floating the idea of bringing 280 down to a boulevard à la Octavia at some point south of 16th St. when this was brought up before, I think my comments were only mildly supportive, but now I am much more enthusiastic.

as mentioned in the first article, besides tying MB in better with Showplace Square and the foot of Potrero Hill to the west, it would allow undergrounding of the rail line, which in turn would allow trolley or even streetcar service into Mission Bay from 16th.

people seem to be drooling over the Caltrain railyard too, but you have to store the trains somewhere, and I don't imagine they would underground the whole track area. there was that idea of SPUR's to develop the space *over* the tracks...

note that in that report it does say:

so maybe it's not the slam-dunk people seem to be thinking it is to take care of the 16th St intersection
If it ends up being prohibitively expensive to bury the tracks that far south and demolish the end of 280, then why not just keep it all as it is in that area, and run the HSR above ground like on the rest of the peninsula...and then tunnel any cross streets under the tracks instead (that was the main issue leading to the idea of tunnelling the tracks from 16th onwards, right? that HSR can't cross streets at grade?). It's not as attractive as a giant HSR tunnel, and being able to connect showplace square and mission bay, but it seems like it would be far cheaper and easier to do. Then the HSR tunnel to Transbay could be started farther north, where there's less underground sewers/creeks to deal with, and where there's no giant freeway overpass that needs to be demolished.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 9:18 AM

more 280

aaannnd, socketsite jumps in

I'm still going through the official SF Planning doc (277-pg PDF), but one thing that jumps out is that in 2010 they decided that developing the space over the railyard would be infeasible (sorry SPUR), since there would be no space along the edges to put activating stuff like retail, or even the means (escalators etc) to get up to the developed part. so the 2012 version of the study assumes no surface railyard, and considers redevelopment from a clean slate, either with existing freeway or new boulevard. whoof.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 6:08 AM

new neighbors

I'll throw this in here, even though it's not MB proper, since plopping over 1000 people down nearby will certainly create waves that lap our shores too (though maybe a little less than would be the case if the train tracks didn't block off MB so well to the northwest. see previous post!!).

editorial: I would be fine with letting David Baker run even wilder than he does

Last edited by timbad; Jan 25, 2013 at 6:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 5:27 AM

and there goes the rest of it

the back half of the building that housed the Mission Bay Visitors Center was demolished some months ago, and today I came across this:

fenced off and being hollowed out. from the back:

besides the old firehouse being preserved next to the new public safety building, that leaves only this building's next door neighbor warehouse as the last remaining old MB structure standing, if I'm not mistaken. I didn't notice anything happening with it for the moment, but block 12 is getting closer to its time! (and P2? can we dare hope for some P2?)

Last edited by timbad; Jan 27, 2013 at 6:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 5:58 AM

behind the scenes

was able to wander into no-man's-land again today... disappointed that not much seemed to have happened with block 11, which still resembles a cemetery:

but excited to see new streets continue to come into existence... using this for quick reference, the next pic is of the north-south street (which apparently is to be called Merrimac St) just to the east of block 11 (on the far left in the pic. so that is block 6 on the right)

and this is looking east at the point where Long Bridge St (on the left) and China Basin St come together at the corner of the children's park. at this time next year, blocks 13 and 5 should be mostly obscuring Strata and blocks 2 and 3 in this view:

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 6:12 AM

steel goes up fast... 2 more storeys this week over at the public safety building... looking north:

and south:

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 9:32 PM

The Giants' Lot A development, aka Seawall Lot 337, is up for approval:

Quote:
SF Giants go for port approval of project

The plan to put the long-awaited $1.6 billion Mission Rock development on the cold, desolate parking lot across the channel from AT&T Park is nearly complete, and the prospective landlords couldn't be happier.
While the term sheet laying out the financial details of the development agreement with the San Francisco Giants won't come before the Port Commission for approval until late next month, the commissioners sound ready to sign on the dotted line.
"It's been a long process and project," said Commissioner Kimberly Brandon after listening to a presentation on the project at Thursday's meeting. "It's great to see where we are now."
The development, now scheduled to break ground in 2015, would put an entirely new neighborhood on the 16-acre waterfront site known as Seawall Lot 337, providing space for 2,000 residents, 7,000 workers and hordes of visitors to the area's planned parks, restaurants, shops and attractions.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article...#ixzz2JDJgSKfw
Nice aerial video of the lot.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 5:38 AM

thanks '77 - so want to see that get going.

changing the subject, little note: not everyone thinks MB is sucky

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 7:41 AM

6+ stories

it keeps getting higher over at the public safety building... the steel structure is visible over the firestation from the south now:

and from the other side of Third:

it's almost startling to walk by there, it has gone up so fast.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 7:59 AM

elsewhere, I'm guessing there won't be much to take a pic of at the old Visitor Center building next weekend; they're getting to the end of demo:

looking straight on, you can see through:

and, over at blocks 2/3, they've started to pave the alleyway between the blocks. looking west, block 2 on the right:

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 10:23 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Holy crap, the emergency services building has grown twice as tall as it was just last weekend!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 12:37 AM
Only Mostly Dead

You have to love the speed of steel construction. I wonder where they moved all the models, diagrams and other visuals that used to be housed in the Visitor's Center? THere was a lot of cool stuff to see in there. Great updates as always, timbad!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:55 AM
Show me the blueprints

Anyone catch the Strip the City show on Science channel?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Anyone catch the Strip the City show on Science channel?
no; did it mention that Mission Bay, among other places in the City, is landfill and therefore subject to soil liquefaction in an earthquake?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development