HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 10:31 PM

My money is on Midtown to receive financing for it (compared with Downtown’s the stock and Buckhead’s Park 404), even though the cap would do little to right the wrongs of the interstate system nor would it help connect lower income residents.

“Best” argument for it would be the amount of people it serves and general proximity to centennial place apartments.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 1:35 AM

I feel like the Stitch would be the most beneficial. Reconnecting Midtown and Downtown like that would be huge. But somehow the third capping project to come about might hae the best chance of moving forward.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 11:39 PM

The Peachtree Street shared space

The DCP will implement a temporary demonstration of the project this summer.

Starting the week of June 21st, three blocks between Baker Street and Ellis Street will change temporarily to make more space for people and test how this works with vehicles.

The timing of phase 3 is dependent on funding.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 9:21 PM

Can anyone recommend how to get the city to pave the one block stretch of Westminster Drive between Dutch Valley Place and Monroe Drive? It's a fully owned city street, not an abandoned alley or anything; and it's just gravel and dirt.

There's a pedestrian entrance to Piedmont Park right there at Dutch Valley Place and Westminster Drive, in front of Orpheus Brewing.

The city says it will not pave the road, only maintain/repair it as it exists. So when the rain and cars create potholes, they just fill it with gravel. Seems like a better solution is to just pave it.

Any suggestions? Neighbors have already contacted 311 and their city council representative, but to no avail.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
Can anyone recommend how to get the city to pave the one block stretch of Westminster Drive between Dutch Valley Place and Monroe Drive? It's a fully owned city street, not an abandoned alley or anything; and it's just gravel and dirt.

There's a pedestrian entrance to Piedmont Park right there at Dutch Valley Place and Westminster Drive, in front of Orpheus Brewing.

The city says it will not pave the road, only maintain/repair it as it exists. So when the rain and cars create potholes, they just fill it with gravel. Seems like a better solution is to just pave it.

Any suggestions? Neighbors have already contacted 311 and their city council representative, but to no avail.
I have never seen the City paved an unpaved street. The cost is always paid by the adjacent owners. Consider gravel to be free traffic calming.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:05 PM

Are there many unpaved city streets?

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:14 PM

There’s quite a few in my area of grant park. Most are alleyways but a few streets as well. I’m sure there are lots in many of the neighborhoods around the city. The south side around S Atlanta HS has several gravel streets.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 5:05 PM

Midtown Alliance reports bollards are going up on the Spring Street bike lane

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
I have never seen the City paved an unpaved street. The cost is always paid by the adjacent owners. Consider gravel to be free traffic calming.
I found this Renew Atlanta TSPLOST website and under the roadway improvements section it says that the "projects vary in scope, but may encompass widening for turn lanes, paving gravel roads, constructing new roadway extensions and roundabouts, along with resurfacing, striping and sidewalk improvements."

https://www.renewatlantabond.com/projects

And yes, I did find two roads in Grant Part that are gravel: Narrow Street and Lynwood Street. There may be others in Atlanta, but they seem rare.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 10:40 PM

Northern Ave SE is gravel, it’s in Reynoldstown near Memorial. I parked there when the lot was full at Homegrown.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 12:21 AM

And Northern Avenue SE is another street that's right by the Beltline, like Westminster Drive. Reynoldstown is booming. As more cars park on that street, as you did, it's going to really wear out that gravel road, just like it does on Westminster, which is both along the Beltline and Piedmont Park.

TSPLOST does include funding for paving gravel roads, Terminus.

Phase 1 includes paving of unpaved portions of Ayr St, Braeburn Rd, Ford St, Hirsch St, James Dr, Main St, and Newman Place.

Phase 2 includes paving of unpaved portions of Baylor St, Carr St, Foster Place, Zadie Street, and Niles Ave.

So the city is in the business of paving unpaved roads, is it not?

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 1:22 AM

Quote:
And Northern Avenue SE is another street that's right by the Beltline, like Westminster Drive. Reynoldstown is booming. As more cars park on that street, as you did, it's going to really wear out that gravel road, just like it does on Westminster, which is both along the Beltline and Piedmont Park.

TSPLOST does include funding for paving gravel roads, Terminus.

Phase 1 includes paving of unpaved portions of Ayr St, Braeburn Rd, Ford St, Hirsch St, James Dr, Main St, and Newman Place.

Phase 2 includes paving of unpaved portions of Baylor St, Carr St, Foster Place, Zadie Street, and Niles Ave.

So the city is in the business of paving unpaved roads, is it not?
TSPLOST is targeted funds for specific projects, not general funding.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
TSPLOST is targeted funds for specific projects, not general funding.
Okay, but it's not the adjacent property owners paying for the paving of unpaved streets.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Okay, but it's not the adjacent property owners paying for the paving of unpaved streets.
There are STANDARD processes. You can't just email City Hall and ask for a gravel street to be paved. They will tell you, you do it yourself. I have sat in countless meetings with clients and DPW and heard this said.

TSPLOST is a wish list of projects (that are unlikely to all be completed due to funding shortfalls). Projects on it have no relationship to the STANDARD process - in the same way that papers by City Council have none. They are exceptions.

It's no different from sidewalks. The adjacent owners pay for sidewalks, but there are always exceptions where special funding is identified. That may be changing under the current City Council, but I don't believe any legislation has passed.

I would advise the poster to engage their City Council Member and see what happens.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 2:03 PM

In old times a small homeowner had recourse to the ward heeler or block captain or Godfather. Today's public is removed from organs of bureaucracy unless you're a developer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFw062jAYR0

Last edited by Libertarian; May 20, 2021 at 2:48 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:

It’s marked as funded for TSPLOST Phase one and scheduled construction start is 6/20/2021.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptychtwo View Post
It’s marked as funded for TSPLOST Phase one and scheduled construction start is 6/20/2021.
That's a really good find! I didn't think to look at the project map.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Are there many unpaved city streets?
Certain streets on the south side definitely come to mind such as Springside Drive SE (between Waters Road SW and Macon Drive SE) and Old Rough and Ready Drive SE. Those two streets make me feel as if I were in a rural area of Georgia instead of the City of Atlanta. Certain areas on the west and southwest sides of the city also make me feel like this.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 12:12 AM

Atlanta reimagines Peachtree Street for more pedestrians

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...red-space.html

Quote:
Beginning today, three blocks of Peachtree Street will be transformed to make the area safer for pedestrians and cyclists. Using paint striping, planters and wheel stops, the City of Atlanta will block two travel lanes between Ellis Street and Baker Street to encourage alternative modes of transportation and slow the speed of traffic.

These temporary changes around Peachtree Center are the first phase of the long-planned project and will remain in downtown for about 90 days while the city collects data on traffic patterns to determine how to use the space most effectively in the long-term.

Phase two will include bringing vendors onto the shared street space and incorporating more outdoor furniture and landscaping.

The shared Peachtree Street concept could one day stretch about 1.2 miles from North Avenue to Marietta Street.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 3:08 PM

Phase 1 of the Peachtree shared street plan

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta