HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 10:24 PM
BANNED

There are plenty very nice hotels outside downtown.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 10:50 PM

I worry about the old manufacturing district a lot. Its such a fascinating and unique part of the city, and there seems to be little to no effort being put forth to preserve and re-adapt it. Its only a matter of time before we start to lose more of these warehouses to fire/neglect.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Mar 5, 2014 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 10:52 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
"plenty" is a bit of an overstatement, especially if we're talking about the city proper.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 11:38 PM

I wonder if the other little rectangular parks will get make overs soon as well. Or better yet, the train tracks would get cover to make one continuous park space.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Plenty? Not even close. There are some decent hotels outside of downtown - some small inns and such, but there's really not that many. There needs to be a lot more outside of downtown.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 12:00 AM

I've long been a fan of Method brand home cleaning products, so it was interesting to hear that the company will be building its first US manufacturing facility in the Pullman neighborhood of Chicago's south side.

Method is an earth-friendly company and their design for the $30m facility reflects this, with a green roof, solar panels, and a giant wind turbine. Similar to Apple's new Cupertino facility, the building itself will be surrounded in green space which they'll maintain. They're aiming for the facility to be rated LEED Platinum.

The facility is expected to create 100 local jobs and construction has already started. Rahm was there for the groundbreaking.

Renderings from Curbed article:

The company is SF-based, so I can only assume the reason for locating this plant here was tax incentives and lobbying. Either way, the fact that this is inside the city limits is pretty impressive.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
I wonder if the other little rectangular parks will get make overs soon as well.
Someone recently dropped $6 million to spruce up the area around the John A. Logan statue. http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20131...nonymous-donor

I'd love for them to cover the tracks and "finish" the park but someone will have to come up with the money and the plan at the same time.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:42 AM

Great find Aaron! Thanks. Also, I'm really hoping they develop something on that site along Roosevelt inbetween Michigan and Indiana. I know they had that highrise called the Chicago or something, but I haven't seen much about it actually happening.

Last edited by J_M_Tungsten; Mar 6, 2014 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:11 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Great find Aaron! Thanks. Also, I'm really hoping they develop something on that site along Roosevelt inbetween Michigan and Indiana. I know they had that highrise called the Chicago or something, but I haven't seen much about it actually happening.
AFAIK, there are plans for those sites, but the developers are sitting on the land for the time being for the market to strengthen. Even before The Chicago (which I don't think was ever an actual proposal, just a conceptual design), and prior to the real estate/financial collapse there were conceptual towers known as Grant Park 3 (rendered) and Grant Park 4 (placeholder design) planned for the site, which were both in excess of 60 stories (both taller than the neighboring OMP and OMPW).

Google search image
Host link: http://www.urbika.com/imgs/projects/...-tower-iii.jpg

More than likely, these particular designs will not come to fruition, rather the Central Station developer will produce a new design for the tower(s) based on projected market demand at the time of delivery (whenever that may be).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:16 AM

Even more reason to love Method!

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:18 AM

If Sky55 was condos and not apartments I can't imagine the frivolous lawsuits they'd file to protect that view.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:53 PM

Carmichael's Steakhouse in the West Loop is to be leveled for two, 4 story apartment buildings. One building will have 74 units and 75 parking spaces, and the other 57 units and 57 parking spaces. It's in Solis's ward, and he is not happy that the developer has not come to him and the nearby residents of the ward. They will need a zoning variance so they better start donating to his campaign fund if they want this approved. There is also the typical NIMBY argument of how they want their green space kept, even though they don't own the land or pay the property taxes on it.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...anned-for-site

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
Carmichael's Steakhouse in the West Loop is to be leveled for two, 4 story apartment buildings. One building will have 74 units and 75 parking spaces, and the other 57 units and 57 parking spaces. It's in Solis's ward, and he is not happy that the developer has not come to him and the nearby residents of the ward. They will need a zoning variance so they better start donating to his campaign fund if they want this approved. There is also the typical NIMBY argument of how they want their green space kept, even though they don't own the land or pay the property taxes on it.

Gotta love the NIMBYs. It's currently a restaurant, so there is no green space there now. I recommend they fundraise the millions needed to purchase the land and fund construction of a park.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 4:07 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post

So I guess all they need is a zoning variance? If so, I doubt there will be much involvement by the Alderman since all they will need is to present their plan at the Zoning Board of Appeals, and as long as an army of residents with pitchforks don't show up and the Alderman (who I'm sure will have been paid off by then) doesn't contest it, it will probably be approved.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
AFAIK, there are plans for those sites, but the developers are sitting on the land for the time being for the market to strengthen. Even before The Chicago (which I don't think was ever an actual proposal, just a conceptual design), and prior to the real estate/financial collapse there were conceptual towers known as Grant Park 3 (rendered) and Grant Park 4 (placeholder design) planned for the site, which were both in excess of 60 stories (both taller than the neighboring OMP and OMPW).

Google search image
Host link: http://www.urbika.com/imgs/projects/...-tower-iii.jpg

More than likely, these particular designs will not come to fruition, rather the Central Station developer will produce a new design for the tower(s) based on
projected market demand at the time of delivery (whenever that may be).

You do realize the land was acquired by Crescent Heights out of Florida, right?
Also, Crescent Heights is very active in other parts of the country so chances are they will be working on something for the site soon if they haven't already. Oh, and the Chicago WAS only a conceptual design.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...-in-south-loop

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Gotta love the NIMBYs. It's currently a restaurant, so there is no green space there now. I recommend they fundraise the millions needed to purchase the land and fund construction of a park.
There is actually a decent sized patch of green space there, Carmichael's uses it as an outdoor seating area and for large private functions. It is actually quite nice, i would be sad to see it go. But there is a huge park just 2 blocks away so... oh well. Also, sounds like a lot of units to cram into a four story on this site in my opinion. No i am not a NIMBY , Carmichael's gave the neighborhood character though . I will be just as sad to see the Palace Grill down the street go when that lot gets developed...which it will.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 4:26 PM

Walgreen's Lincoln Park

Still not much to see here:

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 6:44 PM
tilted & shifted

Emanuel moves to acquire huge South Loop development site
Quote:
Mr. Emanuel introduced an ordinance at yesterday's City Council meeting that would arm his administration with the legal authority to buy the 62-acre property between the Chicago River and Clark Street, south of Roosevelt Road, or else seize it using the city's eminent domain powers. The city wants to find a development team to build something on the empty site.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...883H3247467E8W

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 6:54 PM

^I'd post a picture of the area but the last time I did that someone got banned.

I'm glad they're moving on acquiring that land, I just hope they don't use it for something stupid. All the proposals I've seen so far don't do any justice to the fact that we're talking about the biggest piece of untouched riverfront property in the city. Very close to downtown. In an area that's experiencing growth at a rate juuuust below tipping point.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 6:56 PM
TL;DR

I can't support this enough. A public planning process is exactly what this site needs... I'm not naive enough to think we will get a Portland or Vancouver-style process but putting it in the city's hands is definitely better than leaving it up to some hack like McCaffery.

At least we can expect the Wells-Wentworth project to move forward and provide access into the site.

This will be for planners and residents to decide, but I think the ideal solution here is a mid-rise neighborhood like Vancouver's Southeast False Creek, dense enough to support neighborhood retail, active streets, and world-class parks, but not a forest of skyscrapers. Maybe a few at the north end in walking distance of Roosevelt CTA.

Southeast False Creek:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development