HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 11:01 PM
Chicago

160 N Elizabeth

April 11, 2022

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 11:02 PM
Chicago

354 N Union

April 11, 2022

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 3:37 AM

301 South Green had it's presentation with the Committee on Design today. There were several facade renderings shown not in the PDF presentation.

The conversation that happened in the Q&A box during the presentation:

Pete Dolan 2:42 PM
I’m a local resident but I’m unfamiliar with zoning. It sounds like this would be rezoned. What does the current zoning allow for and what would this change to the zoning allow for?

Josh Son, DPD (he/him) 3:10 PM
You can find more zoning designations in the city here: https://gisapps.chicago.gov/ZoningMapWeb/

Josh Son, DPD (he/him) 3:11 PM
You can find what uses and densities are permitted for each zoning designation here: https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/code...il/0-0-0-49308

markc - G 2:45 PM
Where are the studies on congestion?

Josh Son, DPD (he/him) 3:34 PM
For more information please reach out to the applicant at: jack.george@akerman.com

BVictor1 (You) 2:54 PM
I’ll make the same question/comment from the email I send: I’m looking at the PRECEDENT IMAGES page, and I’m wondering why the façade examples look superior than what’s proposed? 2000 S. Bell St. in Arlington and SCOPE Langsuan in Bangkok, Thailand present a much better dynamic of façade expression. Can 301 S. Morgan should step it up?

markc - G 2:55 PM
The parking does not seem sufficient for the scale of the building

Josh Son, DPD (he/him) 3:10 PM
This building is located within 2,640 ft of a CTA stop and qualifies for parking reductions, you can read more on that here (code: 17-10-0102-B Transit-Served Locations): https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/code...#JD_17-10-0100

Lauren - G 3:01 PM
The number of parking spots only seem to provide for a parking for a fraction of the units planned in the building. Given the current issues with parking in this area, where will residents and people working int the building park and why was it designed with so few parking spots?

Josh Son, DPD (he/him) 3:09 PM
This building is located within 2,640 ft of a CTA stop and qualifies for parking reductions, you can read more on that here (code: 17-10-0102-B Transit-Served Locations): https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/code...#JD_17-10-0100

BVictor1 (You) 3:02 PM
Are the West Loop Guidelines becoming the Robert’s Rules of architectural mediocrity? Why can’t the wavy façade expression come to the ground? Transition from base to tower should be more graceful and less “plopped on”

markc - G 3:02 PM
Doesn't zoning prevent this tall of building except on the expressway on Halsted

This question has been answered live

Josh Son, DPD (he/him) 3:05 PM
You can find more zoning designations in the city here: https://gisapps.chicago.gov/ZoningMapWeb/

Josh Son, DPD (he/him) 3:06 PM
You can find what uses and densities are permitted for each zoning designation here: https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/code...il/0-0-0-49308

Pete Dolan - G 3:09 PM
What would be the proposed date for when construction would begin on this building if approved, and when would it be expected to be completed?

Josh Son, DPD (he/him) 3:34 PM
For more information please reach out to the applicant at: jack.george@akerman.com

Pete Dolan - G 3:21 PM
What would be the timeline for the 301 S Green St project? i.e. when would groundbreaking start? When would the building be finished?

John Law (DPD) 3:30 PM
We encourage you to reach out to the development team for specifics on anticipated construction timeline. This project is not approved, and will need to go through the Planned Development and Plan Commission review process. You can find more information here:

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...sion.html.html

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...nprojects.html

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 3:57 AM
BANNED

^All those people complaining about parking lmao. There's plenty of parking in the West Loop.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 4:21 AM
MPLSXCHI

Ducking your questions so bad, but responding to questions that were already answered lol

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Ducking your questions so bad, but responding to questions that were already answered lol
One of the committee persons brought up my concern with the lack of umph! in the facade execution. Basically said they could do better. The meeting should be uploaded to YouTube soon.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 1:27 PM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...-market-office

April 13, 2022 09:48 AM 23 HOURS AGO

Former Sterling Bay leasing broker plans Fulton Market office development

Joy Jordan aims to break into the development world with an office building in the trendy former meatpacking district.

DANNY ECKER

Quote:
A Chicago office leasing broker who helped lure companies to Willis Tower and most recently worked on the Lincoln Yards campus is trying her hand at development, kicking off a new venture with plans for a $100 million office project in the Fulton Market District.

Former Telos Group and Sterling Bay leasing agent Joy Jordan said she is under contract to purchase a property in the former meatpacking district and will file a zoning application with the city in the weeks ahead to develop an office building there as large as 200,000 square feet. Jordan declined to say which property she is buying, but sources familiar with the plan said her venture is planning to redevelop the half-acre site at 415-417 N. Sangamon St. that has been marketed for sale since last fall.
Quote:
Jordan said she has raised some equity for the project from local high-net-worth real estate investors and would develop the building on speculation, or without any tenants signed in advance, given Fulton Market's proven corporate magnetism.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
^All those people complaining about parking lmao. There's plenty of parking in the West Loop.
I'm willing to bet that some of those people raising a stink over parking are actually upset about blocked views but don't want to come out and say it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 4:20 PM

Anyone have access to this article?

Google Negotiating Major Expansion of Offices in Chicago's Fulton Market
https://www.costar.com/article/17444...-fulton-market

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 4:35 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
One of the committee persons brought up my concern with the lack of umph! in the facade execution. Basically said they could do better. The meeting should be uploaded to YouTube soon.

LOVE your comments. Stated so well.

Those guidelines (didn't even realize this one falls in the area) from my pov are designed primarily to avoid disasters. While that's clearly a good thing, they also are so limiting and do give this milquetoasty feel to everything.

And that's a pet peeve of mine as well for these presentations - when clearly superior examples are included of the facade type - 'here's something great we won't be building here'.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 4:47 PM

"But where oh where will all these people park all of their cars?" ughhhh

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Anyone have access to this article?

Google Negotiating Major Expansion of Offices in Chicago's Fulton Market
https://www.costar.com/article/17444...-fulton-market
Crain's published their article on it and said Google is the new anchor tenant for 400 N Aberdeen, which was aimed at recruiting life sciences with new lab space. No word if Google is still pursuing Sterling Bay's proposal for 1000 W Carroll. Now that there's less supply for lab space, Crain's is suggesting this will help boost leasing efforts for 315 N May.

Crains article: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ansion-chicago

315 N May rendering:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/09...p-flooding-in/

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 6:17 PM
TL;DR

I think 301 S Green is pretty nice actually, if they build it as shown. My main gripe is that the Green St frontage is lined with nothing but garage entrances and blank wall utility rooms. There's nothing to really engage the street.

Retail space would be preferred. Developers often avoid this because it doesn't get leased out, but the density in this area is so high that retail spaces fill up quickly. The Milieu tower opened last year and is already leased up with a GoGrocer store.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think 301 S Green is pretty nice actually, if they build it as shown. My main gripe is that the Green St frontage is lined with nothing but garage entrances and blank wall utility rooms. There's nothing to really engage the street.

Retail space would be preferred. Developers often avoid this because it doesn't get leased out, but the density in this area is so high that retail spaces fill up quickly. The Milieu tower opened last year and is already leased up with a GoGrocer store.

Your main gripe was actually a gripe of one of the people on the committee. That may get adjusted.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Crain's published their article on it and said Google is the new anchor tenant for 400 N Aberdeen, which was aimed at recruiting life sciences with new lab space. No word if Google is still pursuing Sterling Bay's proposal for 1000 W Carroll. Now that there's less supply for lab space, Crain's is suggesting this will help boost leasing efforts for 315 N May.

Crains article: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ansion-chicago

315 N May rendering:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/09...p-flooding-in/
I've been wondering for a while when Google was going to make a move in Fulton as they had a long planned expansion derailed by the pandemic there. I'm surprised they are leasing 400 N Aberdeen. Hopefully this is temporary housing for their new hires while they wait to build a new building entirely like 1000 Carroll.

I honestly love the design of 315 N May and hope it gets built as is. A 1 acre park is pretty swell too and much needed in Fulton!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 8:47 PM

"I'm surprised they are leasing 400 N Aberdeen...." ....as am I. This building was designed and built as a life science building. I apologize for my ignorance, but aren't these structures labeled as such because they are constructed to handle biohazardous material specifically? Therefore, why would Google pick this building when there's excellent inventory being built or coming through the pipeline? I'm curious to know if they're growing their biotech division.

1000 Carroll might still be in play. Wasn't there soil testing onsite weeks ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
I've been wondering for a while when Google was going to make a move in Fulton as they had a long planned expansion derailed by the pandemic there. I'm surprised they are leasing 400 N Aberdeen. Hopefully this is temporary housing for their new hires while they wait to build a new building entirely like 1000 Carroll.

I honestly love the design of 315 N May and hope it gets built as is. A 1 acre park is pretty swell too and much needed in Fulton!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 9:56 PM
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
1000 Carroll might still be in play. Wasn't there soil testing onsite weeks ago?
March 7, 2022

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 10:11 PM

Interesting. I figured 1000 Carroll (now called 350 Morgan and will many more terraces) was still the plan. It's literally across the street from 1000 Fulton.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 10:22 PM

Oooo, good catch! These renderings weren't there a few weeks ago

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Oooo, good catch! These renderings weren't there a few weeks ago
Nice little cameo by 360 Green as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations