HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 1:53 AM

BTW, this is not yet a done deal but it looks solid as a rock

I did a background check on all the players; everybody looks legit.

AZ Big Media provides excellent detail:
Quote:
On June 28, 2021, CWC signed a contract with Carlyle Development Group of New York, the Mall owner, to acquire the Metrocenter Mall, and the inspection period has been successfully completed. The transaction is scheduled to close in the second half of 2022.

The Company has reached an agreement with Carlyle to demolish the mall ahead of closing. In 2016, Carlyle led the rezoning of the Metrocenter Mall and the surrounding parcels and obtained the City Council Approval for a Planned Unit Development (“PUD”) designation, as well as lobbying for the relocation of the Light Rail Station into the Metrocenter Mall, paving the way for a successful future mixed-use development.
-----------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
Hines has really stepped up with projects in downtown Phoenix and downtown Tempe. I hope the city reconsiders Hines for the Regency Garage RFP if that’s still a thing.
I can't tell if Hines has an equity interest or not - not that it's that important.
Quote:
The Developer has formed a strategic alliance with Hines, the international real estate firm, to redevelop and repurpose the Metrocenter Mall....

“We are excited to be a part of the redevelopment of the former Metrocenter Mall into a vibrant mixed-use community with a sense of place that will enhance the public investments,” said Chris Anderson, Senior Managing Director of Hines.
The City, as it's accustomed to doing will be putting their own skin in the game.
Quote:
The Developer has also reached preliminary terms with the City of Phoenix, subject to City Council approval, for a public private partnership for public improvements, by and through a to-be-formed Community Facilities District (CFD), for the Village. The public improvements are planned to be funded through CFD assessment bonds and will be primarily for the construction of public parking garages.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Hyatt Place got no love from here but it looks absolutely great.
Does anybody know who the developer is? It's looking rather familiar to another new Hyatt Place.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 2:53 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Does anybody know who the developer is? It's looking rather familiar to another new Hyatt Place.
Mortenson
https://www.mortenson.com/projects/h...wntown-phoenix

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Once the other building has completed its remodel (if ever) that's going to be a really nice block.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 4:26 PM

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Pacific Hospitality Group is who I was more interested in. Thanks/no thanks to Google I'm unable to repeat some previous research. IIRC Hyatt had a architectural team from Virginia that came up with the basic design for the Centric brand. In any case it ends up in local hands with a local flavor. While not the same, it does have an overall similar look to a new 'Centric' in Denver and yes, the reaction was similar as to how nice it looked given hotels (unless a flagship) never go for any design awards.

EDIT: I should also mentioned than generally I've noticed recently that most hotels (in Scottsdale) 'seem' busy given a drive-by observation. This time of year does see many local events that are held at hotels so I'm sure that's a part of it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 11:45 PM

New Six-Story Multifamily Planned for Kierland

Another dense project coming to Kierland area

https://azbex.com/new-six-story-mult...-for-kierland/
Quote:
Another new luxury multifamily development may take the place of an under-utilized office development next to Kierland Golf Club under an initial submittal to the City of Phoenix.

Icon Kierland, planned for the SWC of Kierland Boulevard and Marilyn Road, would deliver 370 units on 6.12 gross acres. Building heights would reach 70 feet with a gross density of 60.45 dwelling units/acre.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 2:00 AM

Thanks for finding that; interesting site
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Another dense project coming to Kierland area

https://azbex.com/new-six-story-mult...-for-kierland/
I see from the link you provided that Mill Creek has also secured a site for their Modera brand. That stretch along 71st Street north of Kierland Blvd is amazing for how they are packing in new apartments. Lennar has a project there and IIRC they also tore down an office building. Just to the north of Lennar's site is a rezoning sign where another office building currently exists.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 2:30 AM

Revisiting an Old Claim

I can recall several years ago proclaiming that the streets east of downtown, along and north of light rail would some day be hot, hot for redevelopment. At the time most here were nice enough to just ignore what they were thinking - "my naivete."

Earlier today I dropped off a Pax near 24th street and McDowell; danged if I didn't drive right by a large corner site prepped for development.

From there I scooted on down to the 44th street Station where I like to stop for bathroom breaks, to stretch my legs and take in some refreshment. My next trip started a few blocks east along Jefferson and we drove NE from there.

Point being, everywhere I drive east of downtown I'm seeing new construction or sites being prepped. Give it another 3-4 years and this area could be On Fire.

BTW, while I'm on the topic, the other day I dropped at McDowell and 2nd street about 3:30 PM. The last mile getting there was awful. I couldn't get out of downtown fast enough.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Revisiting an Old Claim

I can recall several years ago proclaiming that the streets east of downtown, along and north of light rail would some day be hot, hot for redevelopment. At the time most here were nice enough to just ignore what they were thinking - "my naivete."

Earlier today I dropped off a Pax near 24th street and McDowell; danged if I didn't drive right by a large corner site prepped for development.

From there I scooted on down to the 44th street Station where I like to stop for bathroom breaks, to stretch my legs and take in some refreshment. My next trip started a few blocks east along Jefferson and we drove NE from there.

Point being, everywhere I drive east of downtown I'm seeing new construction or sites being prepped. Give it another 3-4 years and this area could be On Fire.

BTW, while I'm on the topic, the other day I dropped at McDowell and 2nd street about 3:30 PM. The last mile getting there was awful. I couldn't get out of downtown fast enough.
Well Im surprised that Garfield and Westlake have not gentrified faster TBH especially with the housing stock near downtown being very available but Garfield seems like it hasn't seen major gentrification in years. By now I was expecting Coronado and Garfield both to be much more expensive and desirable neighborhoods but that hasnt happened (at least not as fast as I anticipated)

I would fully expect basically the entire area from the 51 to the I17 from Downtown up to sunnyslope to eventually gentrify (to some degree) as well as the continually southward marching "Arcadia" to eventually get down to McDowell, but the area south of the 202 and north of the airport largely seems way to industrial and isolated to ever really gentrify. If anything I expect that area to become more industrial, Sky harbor plans to annex virtually everything south of Washington for example

I hope that light rail down central and maybe, eventually commuter/Amtrak coming into downtown the areas south of downtown will improve, but they are so far behind im not sure how long that will take.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
It doesn't look like they are adding LED's to the Adeline like it was shown in the renderings we've seen? I wonder if those were scrapped and the LED billboard moved to above the Ainsworth?
I was wondering about this too. But those LED billboards along 3 sides of Adeline are going up now. As much as I used to despise this form of advertising, living downtown has caused it to grow on me. It creates a vibrant environment that helps it feel like a fun place to live.

Last edited by Warren Peace; Dec 15, 2021 at 5:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 5:52 PM

https://azbex.com/scottsdale-worries...on-its-border/

I am starting to see this all over the valley.....Chandler mad at Gilbert for building apartments behind single family development....Tempe mad that Phoenix is trying to derail the Coyotes arena....now Scottsdale mad Phoenix is building a wall of density along Scottsdale Rd.....

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 5:52 PM

(Scurries to Google Maps)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Well Im surprised that Garfield and Westlake have not gentrified faster TBH especially with the housing stock near downtown being very available but Garfield seems like it hasn't seen major gentrification in years. By now I was expecting Coronado and Garfield both to be much more expensive and desirable neighborhoods but that hasnt happened (at least not as fast as I anticipated)
To suggest that I'm particularly familiar with downtown and its neighborhoods would be a distortion of reality.

Garfield? Okay, got it. Coronado? Ah yes, I love that area; just leave it alone; let it find its own way. Westlake? Google was no help.

Quote:
I would fully expect basically the entire area from the 51 to the I17 from Downtown up to sunnyslope to eventually gentrify (to some degree) as well as the continually southward marching "Arcadia" to eventually get down to McDowell, but the area south of the 202 and north of the airport largely seems way to industrial and isolated to ever really gentrify.
Not interested so much in the west side; a little too gritty for me for now. Although, I have noticed some 'low-level' new construction.

Staying to the east of downtown, it's the mixed-use areas partly industrial that I like. What I see is cheap land values (relatively speaking) and friendly zoning (?). Makes it nice and easy to assemble land sites for redevelopment.

BTW, there is some new construction occurring in Sunnyslope.

Quote:
If anything I expect that area to become more industrial, Sky harbor plans to annex virtually everything south of Washington for example.

I hope that light rail down central and maybe, eventually commuter/Amtrak coming into downtown the areas south of downtown will improve, but they are so far behind im not sure how long that will take.
So over Thanksgiving weekend I decide to refresh my recall of the maze of roads at Sky Harbor. Ran into a "suspicious package" traffic jamb; managed to escape and and double back to 24th street. From there I headed south to Broadway and over to Central so I could drive the light rail progress. Mostly sinking drainage pipe from what I could tell.

I also discovered Airlane which goes from 24th street all the way over to the 44th street station. Nothing south of Washington worth talking about; Sky Harbor can have it.

But north of Washington is all fair game.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post

I am starting to see this all over the valley.....Chandler mad at Gilbert for building apartments behind single family development....Tempe mad that Phoenix is trying to derail the Coyotes arena....now Scottsdale mad Phoenix is building a wall of density along Scottsdale Rd.....
Love what Phoenix is doing to the Scottsdale nimbys.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 6:07 PM

That is one fun read; great find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post

Not yet familiar with the "Scottsdale and Bell Multifamily" but I did notice it on the link that ASU Diablo provided.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Love what Phoenix is doing to the Scottsdale nimbys.
I'd love to see them approve even taller projects for that area. Just because.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 3:24 AM

I know this is the Phoenix development news section of the forum but Tempe has impressed me with their development projects and what they doing because it’s extremely impressive. I wonder if Tempe does get their entertainment district will it stop the development of a potential entertainment district in downtown Phoenix?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
I'd love to see them approve even taller projects for that area. Just because.
Add a light rail station as well

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Add a light rail station as well
Hilarious!

Do it!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 12:18 AM
Skyriser

They can't do light rail, they only own the westernmost lane.

El trains are the obvious choice. I hope the support pillars come pre-tagged with gang symbols.

There was an entertainment district proposed for Phoenix but the market decided to not do it for a number of reasons, namely nobody wants to be on the south edge of downtown that much except when there's a game forcing them to be there. Everything has shifted north with ASU, RoRo, potential Hance Park renovations, etc.

They need room to build an entertainment district and the parcels aren't there. If Union Pacific moved their car distribution facilities somewhere else, imagine the boon that would be for Phoenix.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
, RoRo,
Stop calling it that

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest