HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 2:46 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
"90 stories - making it the tallest tower in Texas". Since when does number of floors make a building the tallest?
The media loves the word "stories" I wonder why.

Seriously, though, it could end up being 900 feet and still technically be "90 stories" as that is the generic term for a 900 foot building. Even on the forum people still suggest a 10 story building is 100 feet tall, which if you know anything about building heights and building types then it's unlikely 10 stories would be 100 feet, and would likely be taller. So me reading 90 stories makes me think of the 900 foot number. Of course, it really could have 90 floors and indeed be a new tallest for Texas. The terms stories and floors aren't always talking about the same thing. One is literally referring to how many floors a building has, and stories can be a rounded up generic number for a building. For example, if you go to the Tower of the Americas, they'll tell you the tower is 75 stories. It's a bit odd considering it only has 3 floors. The 75 story term is referring to the overall height of the tower, including the antenna - 750 feet. Which itself isn't correct either since officially antennas aren't counted in official building heights. The Empire State Building, for example, is 1,250 feet to the top of the dirigible mast, but the top of the antenna tops out at 1,454 feet.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 3:29 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

Seriously, though, it could end up being 900 feet and still technically be "90 stories" as that is the generic term for a 900 foot building. Even on the forum people still suggest a 10 story building is 100 feet tall, which if you know anything about building heights and building types then it's unlikely 10 stories would be 100 feet, and would likely be taller. So me reading 90 stories makes me think of the 900 foot number. Of course, it really could have 90 floors and indeed be a new tallest for Texas. The terms stories and floors aren't always talking about the same thing. One is literally referring to how many floors a building has, and stories can be a rounded up generic number for a building. For example, if you go to the Tower of the Americas, they'll tell you the tower is 75 stories. It's a bit odd considering it only has 3 floors. The 75 story term is referring to the overall height of the tower, including the antenna - 750 feet. Which itself isn't correct either since officially antennas aren't counted in official building heights. The Empire State Building, for example, is 1,250 feet to the top of the dirigible mast, but the top of the antenna tops out at 1,454 feet.
The TOA in San Antonio is 735' to the tip of the current antenna.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:42 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
The TOA in San Antonio is 735' to the tip of the current antenna.
Yeah, I remember something about a FAA permit showing that. That would be a reduction from the historical 750 foot number I've always read.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 3:06 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

True but floor count does give you an idea of height, and today even residential ceilings tend to be higher, especially if luxury rentals (or condos).

Not sure if this would be a mixed use tower but 90 floors could easily put it in the 11-1150 range, maybe higher.

Even worst case scenario it's still a 900+ footer.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ies-tower.html

Judge approves $95M sale of prime downtown development site once controlled by Nate Paul

Dooon't get me wrong, I'm over-the-moon about 1) Nate Paul losing properties and 2) the news of a new tallest in Texas but for some reason I always pictured this space getting filled by a new downtown public market. Remember when there was talk about that? I always thought this was a prime spot due to being loooong and very central.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Dooon't get me wrong, I'm over-the-moon about 1) Nate Paul losing properties and 2) the news of a new tallest in Texas but for some reason I always pictured this space getting filled by a new downtown public market. Remember when there was talk about that? I always thought this was a prime spot due to being loooong and very central.
Maybe they'll have a ground floor market with residences and offices above. Don't know if they could put that there like that but just a thought.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 11:18 PM

The 3rd & Congress 90-story mixed use tower is envisioned as office, residential & hotel. That is the same mix as the 1,022' 98 Red River supertall. Assuming the same floor to ceiling ratios as 98RR, 3rd & Congress would be 1,243'.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 4:25 AM
クラブトクヨ

That’s exciting! Let’s keep going taller!

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
That’s exciting! Let’s keep going taller!
I know right! Just keeps getting better and better!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 12:15 AM

Just to keep this thread from falling to page 2, in the last two days we got proposals for two 410' office towers on the south side of the river to continue the southerly downtown expansion and a 529' condo tower in the Rainey District.

Last edited by The ATX; Jul 1, 2022 at 12:13 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 2:07 PM

The list of the tallest Austin projects has been updated:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...05&postcount=6

There are at least 56 projects over 300'. Of those, 32 are at least 400', 21 are at least 500', 11 are over 600' and 5 are over 700'.

There are also 10-12 other projects that are not listed because the height or floor count is not yet showing up on city documents. Several of those are likely to be in the 500'-700' range.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 2:09 PM

Here's a list of the 20 tallest projects underway - 12 are at least 500'

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 2:29 PM

Bonkers to think Austin will likely have a 1200 ft building in the next several years

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Bonkers to think Austin will likely have a 1200 ft building in the next several years
Yes, I'm looking forward to the site plan filing for 3rd & Congress to see what we are going to get as the next, next, next new tallest. There is already some money behind that project.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Yes, I'm looking forward to the site plan filing for 3rd & Congress to see what we are going to get as the next, next, next new tallest. There is already some money behind that project.
If Austin keeps it up with these projects getting taller and taller it'll end up having the south/southwest's tallest buildings.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 2:49 AM

I'm surprised 98 Red River didn't try to beat the BofA in Atlanta in height given it's just a foot shorter.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I'm surprised 98 Red River didn't try to beat the BofA in Atlanta in height given it's just a foot shorter.
Oh wow! I had no idea they were that close in height.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Oh wow! I had no idea they were that close in height.
BofA in Atlanta is 1,023 feet to the top of the spire. If 98 Red River is 1,021 or 1,022 feet, it will be very close.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 10:17 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
BofA in Atlanta is 1,023 feet to the top of the spire. If 98 Red River is 1,021 or 1,022 feet, it will be very close.
Didn't a FAA filing have 98 RR pegged at up to 1,034'?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Didn't a FAA filing have 98 RR pegged at up to 1,034'?
I think that was to allow for the crane height.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations