HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 5:50 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ You totally fail to acknowledge that people who are high risk can take measures to protect themselves. Why do the ramifications of making EVERYBODY IN SOCIETY comply not matter to you? People are literally pissed, and perhaps you don't run into them very often given your circumstances, but I actually talk to them every day. They are doing the opposite of the measures that you support, which only makes things worse. It's time to start getting practical: back down, and encourage certain behaviors. But stop telling healthy adults what they can and cannot do. It's backfiring miserably.
What behaviors do you think are being improperly encouraged? I can understand that if you have minor symptoms, isolation instead of testing can make sense, but other than that? Do you think people should avoid isolating if they're sick or not wear a mask in public?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 5:51 PM

The testing hysteria is now negatively impacting ER capacity here in New Orleans. Health department is now recommending people to simply isolate if they think they were exposed instead of uselessly filling up the ER to get a test.https://twitter.com/nolahealthdept/s...804836357?s=20

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
This was revised wasn't it? I think according to the latest figures, Omicron overtook Delta just last week.
Yeah, looks like it was revised. I missed that.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 5:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Not... really. Cananda has always had much tougher restrictions and actually enforced lockdowns.
Most of the public health measures are implemented at the provincial level, which is like the state level in the US. There is some variety between provinces. Not as much as between US states but the stupid Ontario outdoor ticketing or Quebec curfews didn't happen here. Overall I'm pretty happy with how BC handled the pandemic.

Interestingly some provinces hit zero covid for a good part of the pandemic which was worthwhile as well. They got to live more or less normally for long periods of time, at the cost of border restrictions. But that period has ended now, and that approach stopped making sense after vaccines became widely available.

I think the biggest difference between Canada and the US right now is that we have a very highly vaccinated population. I have heard it's the highest aside from a couple of Asian countries. I haven't checked but I can believe it. I don't personally know anybody who isn't vaccinated, and at this point all the more vulnerable people I know got boosters as well. Consequently there isn't really anybody I'd be around who is vulnerable at this point.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 5:53 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
The testing hysteria is now negatively impacting ER capacity here in New Orleans. Health department is now recommending people to simply isolate if they think they were exposed instead of uselessly filling up the ER to get a test.https://twitter.com/nolahealthdept/s...804836357?s=20
Yeah this is idiotic, the ER is not where you get a COVID test...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 6:01 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Most of the public health measures are implemented at the provincial level, which is like the state level in the US. There is some variety between provinces. Not as much as between US states but the stupid Ontario outdoor ticketing or Quebec curfews didn't happen here. Overall I'm pretty happy with how BC handled the pandemic.

Interestingly some provinces hit zero covid for a good part of the pandemic which was worthwhile as well. They got to live more or less normally for long periods of time, at the cost of border restrictions. But that period has ended now, and that approach stopped making sense after vaccines became widely available.

I think the biggest difference between Canada and the US right now is that we have a very highly vaccinated population. I have heard it's the highest aside from a couple of Asian countries. I haven't checked but I can believe it. I don't personally know anybody who isn't vaccinated, and at this point all the more vulnerable people I know got boosters as well. Consequently there isn't really anybody I'd be around who is vulnerable at this point.
Canada has done an amazing job, with excess deaths over the last two years 13% of US excess deaths according to https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...deaths-tracker

The biggest difference compared to the US is compliance though (the rules in Canada weren't all that stricter than the rules here in Illinois), and likely better contact tracing.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 6:12 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
What behaviors do you think are being improperly encouraged? I can understand that if you have minor symptoms, isolation instead of testing can make sense, but other than that? Do you think people should avoid isolating if they're sick or not wear a mask in public?
Indoor mask mandates
Now vaccine mandates in Cook County
All of the testing parameters, kids having to test for COVID and then stay home from school if they are positive (but not if it is anything else, apparently)

I realize you support this stuff, so lets get beyond that and dig into realistic policy: It is literally is too much for a lot of people, and at some point Government over-involvement in these things just starts having the opposite effect. Remember what our goal is: to not overwhelm the healthcare system. We got way more than what we bargained for, too much more.

It's like we lost our ability to deal with the reality of respiratory illnesses in our society: we actually had more common sense 2-3 years ago than we do now. Up until very recently people understood that sometimes kids get sick at school, and it builds their immunity. Parents would keep them at home. Up until very recently people understood that you stay home if you aren't feeling well, but that if you catch something when out and about that is the reality of being alive--it's not a death sentence. In the post-vaccine COVID world we were beginning to regain that, but then people decided that any illness is a failure, and that is precisely what has changed from the pre-COVID world.

Better leadership would have corrected that thinking several months ago, but instead the current crop of chosen healthcare leaders have gone along and humored this delusion that nobody should ever get sick again. Some sickness is necessary to build immunity, especially in a world of evolving and rapidly spreading viruses. That wisdom is just getting thrown away, and to our detriment.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:
This is not true at all. I know plenty of people in Berkeley who have gone out to eat or gone into stores.
I was just up there for Thanksgiving, and everybody was wearing masks outdoors, even on quiet streets. The city and East Bay felt much less vibrant and busy. People are batshit crazy with Covid hysteria up there, much like Seattle.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 6:25 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I was just up there for Thanksgiving, and everybody was wearing masks outdoors, even on quiet streets. The city and East Bay felt much less vibrant and busy. People are batshit crazy with Covid hysteria up there, much like Seattle.
Again... this it not actually true. At all. Take it from someone that actually lives up here.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 6:37 PM
The City

Come out to Chicago. Yes, there is some of that stupidity (people wearing masks outdoors), but not remotely as bad as what I'm hearing in Berkeley. People here are tougher all around since we have cold winters, so we're not quite so snowflakey.

Also, unlike in California you are wedged between 2 States that you can cross into within just 30 mins that have like NO COVID policies whatsoever. So when you get tired of all of crap, just head up to Wisconsin where you can do whatever the hell you want, whenever you want, all without a mask.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 6:41 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Again... this it not actually true. At all. Take it from someone that actually lives up here.
Much of the East Bay really isn't that vibrant on a good day. I mean if you want excitement, Fremont ain't it.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 6:46 PM
BANNED

TUP you should be contributing to this page too.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...1619&page=1036

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 6:48 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Much of the East Bay really isn't that vibrant on a good day. I mean if you want excitement, Fremont ain't it.
The suburban parts yes, but Oakland and Berkeley are actually quite urban and vibrant.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 7:14 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
TUP you should be contributing to this page too.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...1619&page=1036
It's not a safe space there...only the strongest forumers can survive.
Quote:
Nah not true and I visit for everyday items since I live in a rural area. Masks indoors are a different story though.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 8:15 PM
The City

....So by making everyone obsessed with COVID, the CDC has now undermined the exact thing we sought to do in March 2020.

Our healthcare system is overwhelmed by otherwise healthy, vaccinated people with mild symptoms wanting COVID testing. Request after request, and the urgent care has a 3 hour wait time again today.

Sicker people who actually need to be seen now have to wait 3 hours, all because so many people in our community are being goaded into COVID testing (when they actually should be at home resting and recuperating).

And how do I know that COVID is the issue? Because we have people with all sorts of symptoms, and nearly all of them just want to know if it's COVID. They don't even want to know if anything else could be wrong with them. They just want to be tested for COVID. That's all that matters in our now brainwashed society.

Awesome!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 8:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's how San Diegans feel about Los Angeles. There are a lot more people in LA wearing masks outside than here and I was just there for Christmas walking around The Grove and Farmers Market on Fairfax/3rd and I'd say about half were masked up. In California, the Covid hysteria goes from extreme to medium to low as you move from north to south.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 8:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Has any bodies company here switched to the 5 day quarantine period versus the 10 days before the new CDC guidance?

We are still running at 10 day quarantine period.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 8:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
....So by making everyone obsessed with COVID, the CDC has now undermined the exact thing we sought to do in March 2020.

Our healthcare system is overwhelmed by otherwise healthy, vaccinated people with mild symptoms wanting COVID testing. Request after request, and the urgent care has a 3 hour wait time again today.

Sicker people who actually need to be seen now have to wait 3 hours, all because so many people in our community are being goaded into COVID testing (when they actually should be at home resting and recuperating).

And how do I know that COVID is the issue? Because we have people with all sorts of symptoms, and nearly all of them just want to know if it's COVID. They don't even want to know if anything else could be wrong with them. They just want to be tested for COVID. That's all that matters in our now brainwashed society.

Awesome!
Where are the Adults in the room going to stop this madness. Can you say fraud, waste, abuse?
And Well, it’s not like quality control could be an issue, eh?
In 2020 China gave millions of bad virus test kits to Europe…and charged for them.

Cool 13 million positive test results right out of the box to keep this shit going. Are they same test kits that the CDC just admitted that they cannot differentiate between the flu and COVID? Those test kits?

All these false positives will end up just causing fear, lockdowns and hospitalizations unnecessarily.

Awesome news from Biden

Google

Omicron Chaos: Biden Waits to Sign Contracts for 500 Million Test Kits

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...ort/ar-AASfew7

Biden’s Expedited Covid Home Test Kits Arrive: Via Air China

Expedited COVID-19 test kits arrive at JFK Airport
Robert Pozarycki - 4h ago

The new offensive fight against COVID-19 got a boost Tuesday night as the first shipment of 13 million home COVID-19 test kits arrived at JFK via Air China Airlines, in the pouring rain, with more shipments planned throughout the week. In alignment with President Biden’s vow to get the variants under control, Governor Kathy Hochul has augmented the Federal supply with the NYS Department of Health, DHS and testing kit provider iHealth, Port Authority Police and CBP, by expediting these kits to the U.S. in freighter aircraft. Worldwide Flight Services ground handlers at JFK Airport transferred the test cargo onto trucks bound redistribution facilities. It's expected that the at-home testing kits could distributed to individuals and school districts later Wednesday.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Where are the Adults in the room going to stop this madness. Can you say fraud, waste, abuse?
And Well, it’s not like quality control could be an issue, eh?
In 2020 China gave millions of bad virus test kits to Europe…and charged for them.

Cool 13 million positive test results right out of the box to keep this shit going. Are they same test kits that the CDC just admitted that they cannot differentiate between the flu and COVID? Those test kits?

All these false positives will end up just causing fear, lockdowns and hospitalizations unnecessarily.

Awesome news from Biden

Google

Omicron Chaos: Biden Waits to Sign Contracts for 500 Million Test Kits

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...ort/ar-AASfew7

Biden’s Expedited Covid Home Test Kits Arrive: Via Air China

Expedited COVID-19 test kits arrive at JFK Airport
Robert Pozarycki - 4h ago

The new offensive fight against COVID-19 got a boost Tuesday night as the first shipment of 13 million home COVID-19 test kits arrived at JFK via Air China Airlines, in the pouring rain, with more shipments planned throughout the week. In alignment with President Biden’s vow to get the variants under control, Governor Kathy Hochul has augmented the Federal supply with the NYS Department of Health, DHS and testing kit provider iHealth, Port Authority Police and CBP, by expediting these kits to the U.S. in freighter aircraft. Worldwide Flight Services ground handlers at JFK Airport transferred the test cargo onto trucks bound redistribution facilities. It's expected that the at-home testing kits could distributed to individuals and school districts later Wednesday.

Lol… I like the bit about the pouring rain… like, what does that have to do with anything? Lawl

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 9:20 PM
The City

^ The advantage of the "At home test kits" (which are still a bad idea since regular people really should not be able to practice medicine on themselves) is that the germaphobes and the sheeple who are obsessed with COVID can just test at home now, isolate, live out their basement dreams, and hopefully......

Just hopefully......

Leave. Me. The. Hell. Alone..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions