HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:41 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I have set a personal deadline that I'll stop (voluntarily) masking up indoors when local cases decline below 10 per 100,000 again. However, COVID shows no signs of burning out locally. Cases haven't really spiked here, but they've been vacillating between 30 and 40 per 100,000 for basically two months now, which surprises me, because I thought it would be burned out by this point. It does look like it's burning through a different population though - the early wave was in black neighborhoods, but now it's in white suburbia primarily.
^ Perhaps it is dawning on you that COVID will never "burn out"

Did Influenza and the Common Cold, with us for centuries, "burn out"?

How many shots and boosters are people going to take before they wake up from this mental illness?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Perhaps it is dawning on you that COVID will never "burn out"

Did Influenza and the Common Cold, with us for centuries, "burn out"?

How many shots and boosters are people going to take before they wake up from this mental illness?
A mask is not a huge inconvenience, other than sometimes fogging up my glasses. I keep it in my back pocket, and wear it when I duck into a store. I take it off if I'm eating or drinking. That's all.

Plus my workplace still (at the moment) has mandatory masking rules, and I work in person, so it's nice to stick to the habit.

Now that it's getting colder, sometimes I wear my mask while biking just because it keeps my face warmer.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:23 PM
The City

^ My 12 year old vaccinated son is definitely sick of masking. From the mindset of kids, I can understand how they see the hypocrisy:

1. "A few months ago they said you don't need a mask if you are vaccinated"
2. "Now that I'm vaccinated, why do I still have to do this?"
3. "Why is it that I have to wear a mask at school but when we go out to dinner we don't have to wear them? Why is it when we stayed at the hotel in Chicago back in August half the people in the lobby were wearing masks and the other half weren't, and nobody really cared?"

When adults behave like nimrod buttheads, kids get confused.

Adults are behaving like nimrod buttheads. Masks are mostly about personal preference and mass paranoia. Kids can see through it.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Now that it's getting colder, sometimes I wear my mask while biking just because it keeps my face warmer.
Same.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:27 PM
The City

^ I now have a beard. It serves that purpose well

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:31 PM

My kids (8 and 12) don't really complain about masking at all. My son has a bad habit of chewing on his mask though, which means we have to wash them quite frequently.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:34 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Why not just wear a balaclava?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
My kids (8 and 12) don't really complain about masking at all. My son has a bad habit of chewing on his mask though, which means we have to wash them quite frequently.
mine are 5 and 7 and masks really don't seem to phase them anymore either, and they still have to wear them all day at school (but i pray that will soon be coming to end now that the 5-11's can get vaxxed).

maybe it's because they're younger and they've had to do it for so long that it has just become a "whatever" issue for them, kinda like putting socks on your feet. they don't seem to even really think about it.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:49 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
^ My 12 year old vaccinated son is definitely sick of masking. From the mindset of kids, I can understand how they see the hypocrisy:

1. "A few months ago they said you don't need a mask if you are vaccinated"
2. "Now that I'm vaccinated, why do I still have to do this?"
3. "Why is it that I have to wear a mask at school but when we go out to dinner we don't have to wear them? Why is it when we stayed at the hotel in Chicago back in August half the people in the lobby were wearing masks and the other half weren't, and nobody really cared?"

When adults behave like nimrod buttheads, kids get confused.

Adults are behaving like nimrod buttheads. Masks are mostly about personal preference and mass paranoia. Kids can see through it.

lol, its nov 2021, save the mask whine for the cheese. no they aren't. don't assume. we dont all live in the same place or density levels of the population. also history shows us that plagues tend to come back with a vengeance, so most prefer to remain on guard at least somewhat a while longer.

you can already see everywhere what a big difference vaxxing and protecting ourselves has done this winter vs last winter.

what's new is now the kids are getting vaxxed left and right. let'em. and maybe a few more stragglers along the way. then it will be over soon enough.

covid has fallen below 1k new cases a day in nyc, after 2k at the start of the fall. so its going well, just as one would expect. restaurants and businesses here already don't bother much after an initial vax confirmation. if it stays below 1k a day or less then transit and schools masking will officially drop off soon too. that puts covid effectively over around here. we are getting very close!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:54 PM

Quote:
^ I now have a beard. It serves that purpose well
I had a beard... but that was in 2009-2010.

Photo by my partner

As of yesterday, LA restaurants now require proof of vaccination if you wanna eat indoors. Yesterday evening, my partner and I had to show our vax cards for the first time to eat out (though we've already shown them to go to a wine bar some weeks ago).

And we've scheduled our COVID booster shots for this Sunday---it's already been 6 months since our 2nd Moderna shots.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Nov 10, 2021 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
mine are 5 and 7 and masks really don't seem to phase them anymore either, and they still have to wear them all day at school (but i pray that will soon be coming to end now that the 5-11's can get vaxxed).

maybe it's because they're younger and they've had to do it for so long that it has just become a "whatever" issue for them, kinda like putting socks on your feet. they don't seem to even really think about it.
I fail to see why school masking should change if, as expected, only 25% or so of kids are vaccinated. Data from the UK is making it clear the infected unvaccinated can infect the vaccinated. Current vaccines are sadly proving more effective at protecting against severe disease than against infection and severe disease was never the issue with kids. The issue is that they serve as a reservoir or infection and transmission to vulnerable adults—their parents and others.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 6:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i'm just not capable of concerning myself with any of that anymore.

my wife and i are vaxxed.

all 4 grandparents are vaxxed.

we'll soon be getting our little ones vaxxed.

that's it, I'm done! the rest of the world can proceed to fuck off now.

this is as good as it's gonna get.

life is risk.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 6:15 PM

^^Have they all gotten boosters within 6 months? Waning effectiveness in that time period even for the vaccinated is another issue.

The West may lose the battle against covid just like we keep losing real wars: Impatience, unwillingness to persevere.

We are weak.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 6:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^Have they all gotten boosters within 6 months?
yep.

Quote:

The West may lose the battle against covid
what's left to "win"?

covid ain't going away.

just call it "influenza 2.0".

this is our new world.

right effing now.

no winning or losing.

just reality.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 6:19 PM

What are the arbitrary milestones of "winning" against Covid at this point? It's pretty clear by now that a large portion of the population is not going to change their views, and achieving herd immunity without a significant amount of hurt is a pipe dream. Hurt mainly borne by unvaccinated assholes, but also some smaller part borne by us vaccinated as we accept the costs of living in a society with selfish people who have the same freedoms and liberties as everyone else.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 6:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
What are the arbitrary milestones of "winning" against Covid at this point? It's pretty clear by now that a large portion of the population is not going to change their views, and achieving herd immunity without a significant amount of hurt is a pipe dream. Hurt mainly borne by unvaccinated assholes, but also some smaller part borne by us vaccinated as we accept the costs of living in a society with selfish people who have the same freedoms and liberties as everyone else.
so very true.

some people just plainly suck at life.

as it was in the beginning, as it will be in the end.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Non-expert opinion: a highly effective and widely administered vaccine, a highly effective and widely available therapeutic, or the virus naturally phases out. Globally.

There was an economic report released recently which effectively concluded that the global economy won't return to pre-pandemic normals until humans have become good at managing the virus on a global scale. No matter what anyone's opinion is about government overreaction and overreaching, it seems likely that governments are probably never going to be in alignment about global policy until one of those three criteria has been met.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yep.

what's left to "win"?

covid ain't going away.

just call it "influenza 2.0".

this is our new world.

right effing now.

no winning or losing.

just reality.
Quote:
I agree. Vaccines are available, they're not mandatory and some radicalized people won't take them.

Sorry if that might look insensitive, but at this point I don't care at all if a person decides not taking vaccine and suffers the consequences of that decision.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:11 PM
The City

Quote:
I fail to see why school masking should change if, as expected, only 25% or so of kids are vaccinated. Data from the UK is making it clear the infected unvaccinated can infect the vaccinated. Current vaccines are sadly proving more effective at protecting against severe disease than against infection and severe disease was never the issue with kids. The issue is that they serve as a reservoir or infection and transmission to vulnerable adults—their parents and others.

Quote:
^^Have they all gotten boosters within 6 months? Waning effectiveness in that time period even for the vaccinated is another issue.

The West may lose the battle against covid just like we keep losing real wars: Impatience, unwillingness to persevere.

We are weak.

^ Or, to once again summarize your stance:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:15 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
I agree. Vaccines are available, they're not mandatory and some radicalized people won't take them.

Sorry if that might look insensitive, but at this point I don't care at all if a person decides not taking vaccine and suffers the consequences of that decision.
i care. somewhat because they continuing the spread and much more so because they are jacking up insurance rates for no reason. we all pay for that stupidity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions