HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 4:24 PM

Randolph side looks to have a storefront.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 7:10 PM

Some news in Little Italy area. Construction have started on all three midrises CHA buildings (One on Taylor with a grocery store and pizza restaurant and two on Roosevelt). So it is exciting to see those three lots finally get developed and add more density to that area. In addition, I've found out that Related Midwest will be working with CHA to build new townhomes on Grenshaw St and south of Arrigo Park (probably nearby the Jane Addams Housing Museum that is also being renovated).

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
Some news in Little Italy area. Construction have started on all three midrises CHA buildings (One on Taylor with a grocery store and pizza restaurant and two on Roosevelt). So it is exciting to see those three lots finally get developed and add more density to that area. In addition, I've found out that Related Midwest will be working with CHA to build new townhomes on Grenshaw St and south of Arrigo Park (probably nearby the Jane Addams Housing Museum that is also being renovated).
How far along are they on construction? The Taylor St building received its new construction permit 2 days before Christmas..

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 7:44 PM

6044 N Winthrop was issued a new construction permit to build a new 5 story, 64 unit building on a surface parking lot. This is right behind the red line train and half way between the Thorndale and Granville stops. For some reason there's space for 35 cars there. The developer is North Park Ventures

Streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/place/60...!4d-87.6585797

Via https://www.northparkventures.com/portfolio#chicago-1

Old Posted Mar 5, 2023, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
How far along are they on construction? The Taylor St building received its new construction permit 2 days before Christmas..
They’re working on foundation and digging last I saw.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 4:50 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
They've been trying to get townhouses off the ground for awhile. For a long time they claimed there was not enough demand in Little Italy for market rate townhouses.

Quote:
They’re working on foundation and digging last I saw.
Just on the Taylor St building. I'm guessing they will assembly-line it, with crews moving from one site to the next one sequentially.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
They've been trying to get townhouses off the ground for awhile. For a long time they claimed there was not enough demand in Little Italy for market rate townhouses.

I read about it in the Gazette newspaper that covers Little Italy/Tri Taylor and North Lawndale. The reporter spoke to several people from Related and they are looking to move forward on the townhomes as quickly as possible. They have everything ready to go. They just need to finish the last part with CHA and get the permit to start building.

Just on the Taylor St building. I'm guessing they will assembly-line it, with crews moving from one site to the next one sequentially.
I saw them digging at the Racine location. Not sure if the Loomis location has started that yet.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 12:18 AM
Chicago

Chicago Guinness Taproom - 375 N Morgan

March 7, 2023

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 12:34 AM

The contractor on that Guinness Brewery really dropped the ball.. was initially supposed to open by this upcoming weekend (St. Patty's Day), but I just read it will now open sometime this Summer.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm glad to finally see a proposal at 135 N Desplaines, but why does it have to be one of these condo boxes? It's not ugly per se, but the ground floor will be more blank wall shit with parking behind. Such a disappointment when you've got vibrant restaurants Avec and Blackbird right next door.
Sounds like the ground-floor use is better than anticipated:

The ground floor will feature a retail space along W Randolph Street with a corner storefront window, along Des Plaines will be an entrance to the small garage that will utilize the existing curb cut and contain three vehicle parking spaces instead of the 18 required.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh777 View Post
The contractor on that Guinness Brewery really dropped the ball.. was initially supposed to open by this upcoming weekend (St. Patty's Day), but I just read it will now open sometime this Summer.
Didn't they rebuild one of the walls, demolish it, and build it again?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Didn't they rebuild one of the walls, demolish it, and build it again?
Yes. Would love the details on why!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 4:51 PM

that project has been an endless head scratcher. there are skyscrapers going up faster

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 6:05 PM

There's fencing around Brodaway Plaza mall at Broadway and Berwyn. It was bought in 2006 by Chody Real Estate (https://www.chodyre.com/properties), who seem to just do strip malls. They've been letting all the tenants go, so I guess the plan is to redevelop it into an updated version of the same? I don't see any permits, but I was wondering if anybody knew what the plan is. Sad that that stretch of Broadway is doomed to stay terrible.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewbs View Post
There's fencing around Brodaway Plaza mall at Broadway and Berwyn. It was bought in 2006 by Chody Real Estate (https://www.chodyre.com/properties), who seem to just do strip malls. They've been letting all the tenants go, so I guess the plan is to redevelop it into an updated version of the same? I don't see any permits, but I was wondering if anybody knew what the plan is. Sad that that stretch of Broadway is doomed to stay terrible.
Ugh I noticed the fencing and was hoping for something much better than what you are suggesting it could be.

On the other side of the Red Line, that commercial strip also has fencing up now. Guessing we might see demolition start soon to make way for the previously announced apartment building.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 7:45 PM

Hugo

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 2:31 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Sounds like the ground-floor use is better than anticipated:

The ground floor will feature a retail space along W Randolph Street with a corner storefront window, along Des Plaines will be an entrance to the small garage that will utilize the existing curb cut and contain three vehicle parking spaces instead of the 18 required.
That's good to hear. The rendering definitely looks like frosted glass on the corner, which usually means there is parking behind. That's a bit misleading.

There's also some kind of color-pattern which looks like a vinyl wrap on the glass. Perhaps those are the residential entrances, probably one main entrance lobby on Desplaines and one emergency exit on Randolph.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 9:00 PM

It sounds like 401 S. State – long occupied by Robert Morris, now largely vacant – might soon change hands. I've always though the university's use of the ground floor space left a lot to be desired, so hopefully whatever comes next can become a better steward of that block of State Street.

State Street north of the Palmer House feels largely back to its pre-pandemic self, but State Street from the Palmer House south to Ida B. Wells feels pretty barren right now. Of course, the battle for the Century & Consumers building block is a huge part of it. The Beef 'n Brandy hotel conversion also seems to have stalled since Covid started.

209-227 S. State (former Woolworth's building) is also for sale: https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/209-...o-IL/26612789/ The broker is marketing it as a development opportunity, with a speculative rendering of a new tower in place of the current building. I would think that if you wanted to build a new tower you'd at least set it back a bit and keep the amazing Art Deco base, but what do I know.

Hopefully this part of the Loop gets some momentum back soon. There is a lot of development in the works just over on Wabash.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 11:55 PM
Show me the blueprints

209-227 S. State (former Woolworth's building)

^^^ I'd definitely like to see it saved but if there was a particularly spectacular proposal that might justify its loss. Something like that crud in the hypothetical rendering does not qualify. Yes, preserving the Deco/Moderne base and building something kick ass above is the obvious solution to max the property value.

On a side note, how cool would a Woolworths reboot be? Everything old is new again. Not sure what it would be or could survive as a retailer in this online culture we've destroyed ourselves with, but just saying.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 3:47 AM

Speaking of the taproom....

https://chicago.eater.com/2023/3/10/...ry-brown-bread

I do like seeing updated renderings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development