HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:18 PM
The City

^ Isn’t that it Alderman La Spata’s ward? Good luck getting anything built without a free for all shakedown

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Isn’t that it Alderman La Spata’s ward? Good luck getting anything built without a free for all shakedown
I have found his office to be pretty pro-density, if still bowing to the protest-social-media-class

but I still think he is a dupe

I actually voted for the last alderman based on his very pro density tract record but he who was a slimball if there ever was one

now I like in Waguespack's ward and talk about anti-density you don't even hear about projects being proposed here. long live the SFH.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
A new 5 story building with ground floor retail and 27 apartments is being pitched in Logan Square for Fullerton & Washtenaw. It would replace a 1 story credit union and its parking lot next door. Although this is not too far from the California Blue Line stop, it will still have 27 parking spots.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/02...fdxB5S6rkWEcYQ

Site in question:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...!4d-87.6954784
this is a very logical project based on the other projects approved and completed on fullerton over the last few years

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:27 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Ain't that the truth. The random dude selling hot dogs and tacos near Shedd Aquarium just ain't cuttin' it....
There are various lakefront concessions already, as you mention. My sense is that the Park District tries to award these to small businesses as much as possible so it doesn't get taken over by the Lettuce Entertain Yous and Hogsalts of the world. Some of them are actually quite nice - Ropa Cabana in Loyola Park, Waterfront Cafe in Berger Park, and down south, Reggie's at 63rd St Beach. Del Campo's runs medicore-but-not-awful taco stand at 12th St Beach. These places are doing the best they can in substandard, crumbling facilities with not enough space, dodgy utilities, etc.

Other vendors, though, are definitely just coasting. The downtown lakefront especially doesn't have anything quality. The concessions at Museum Campus, Buckingham Fountain, and Michigan/Jackson are just awful. It would be one thing if these were carts, like you see in NYC or DC, but they're mostly permanent buildings and the city chose these vendors to sell the worst hotdogs in the city.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
There are various lakefront concessions already, as you mention. My sense is that the Park District tries to award these to small businesses as much as possible so it doesn't get taken over by the Lettuce Entertain Yous and Hogsalts of the world. Some of them are actually quite nice - Ropa Cabana in Loyola Park, Waterfront Cafe in Berger Park, and down south, Reggie's at 63rd St Beach. Del Campo's runs medicore-but-not-awful taco stand at 12th St Beach. These places are doing the best they can in substandard, crumbling facilities with not enough space, dodgy utilities, etc.

Other vendors, though, are definitely just coasting. The downtown lakefront especially doesn't have anything quality. The concessions at Museum Campus, Buckingham Fountain, and Michigan/Jackson are just awful. It would be one thing if these were carts, like you see in NYC or DC, but they're mostly permanent buildings and the city chose these vendors to sell the worst hotdogs in the city.
DelCampos is worse than mediocre and that building at 12 st isnt too bad for a taco stand. Just a bad product and from a family run spot. Disappointing.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 11:58 PM
TL;DR

I may have been enjoying a few beers when I grabbed a greasy steak taco from Del Campo... certainly not the best that Chicago can offer in terms of tacos

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 5:29 PM

This is a small one but important because this lot has been such an eye sore at a busy intersection:

Mixed use with 24 units and 10 parking spots.

Currently:https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...56!4d-87.67927

Rendering:

more from the architect: http://kharchitects.net/new-developm...ve-chicago-il/

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 5:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
This is a small one but important because this lot has been such an eye sore at a busy intersection:
yeah, and i hope the parking lot around the corner on irving for the now-gone lincoln restaurant gets redeveloped soon too.

fill in those gaps!

and does anyone know the current status of the proposed redevelopment for the 5/3 parking lot on the SW corner of irving/damen/lincoln?

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 11, 2022 at 6:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 5:41 PM
BANNED

Am I the only one who gets more joy about infill projects like these than skyscrapers? Don't get me wrong, I love high rises, but seeing strip malls, vacant lots, and nodescript one story buildings get redeveloped warms my heart. Our skyline/downtown is world class, but the real Chicago is in our neighborhoods. There's tons of empty land in our neighborhoods, filling in these vacant spots just makes our hoods more complete.

Last edited by thegoatman; Feb 11, 2022 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Am I the only one who gets more joy about infill projects like these than skyscrapers? Don't get me wrong, I love high rises, but seeing strip malls, vacant lots, and nodescript one story buildings get redeveloped warms my heart. Our skyline/downtown is world class, but the real Chicago is in our neighborhoods. Filling in these vacant spots just makes our hoods more complete.
No, I completely agree and am the same way. This is why for me Fulton Market is really the most exciting thing to happen to Chicago in a very long time as its really 'more city' than just a few tall buildings.

I'd say my interest in new buildings and construction is about 25% height/skyline, 25% building design/innovation, 25% economic impact/growth of the city center, 25% neighborhood/cultural enhancement of the city scape. So I don't get too bent out of shape if building doesn't meet my hopes for height/form as long as the others are sufficiently met..

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yeah, and i hope the parking lot around the corner on irving for the now-gone lincoln restaurant gets redeveloped soon too.

fill in those gaps!

and does anyone know the current status of the proposed redevelopment for the 5/3 parking lot on the SW corner of irving/damen/lincoln?
The parking lot around the corner is in the process of being redeveloped, they poured the foundation a couple of months ago but it’s been quiet there ever since.

The 5/3 lot proposal was denied by the Matt Martin for not including residential.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 7:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
The parking lot around the corner is in the process of being redeveloped, they poured the foundation a couple of months ago but it’s been quiet there ever since.

The 5/3 lot proposal was denied by the Matt Martin for not including residential.
^ cool, thanks for the update.

any idea what the plan is for the old lincoln restaurant parking lot?

i don't recall ever seeing any drawings/renderings for it.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 9:21 PM
BANNED

4611 N. Broadway in Uptown is flying up. Already on the 6th floor.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 9:47 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm a big fan of concessions in parks... we should have a beer garden in every major inland park and dotted up/down the lakefront.
A man selling ice cream. On Saturday. 4th of July, I think.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 9:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ and i believe he was singing italian songs, if memory serves.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Am I the only one who gets more joy about infill projects like these than skyscrapers? Don't get me wrong, I love high rises, but seeing strip malls, vacant lots, and nodescript one story buildings get redeveloped warms my heart. Our skyline/downtown is world class, but the real Chicago is in our neighborhoods. There's tons of empty land in our neighborhoods, filling in these vacant spots just makes our hoods more complete.
Agree. I used to be the opposite but vacant lots and strip malls really detract from everything. Some really solid infill projects or replacements to strip malls can really enhance the urban and pedestrian experience. It also can help it be more vibrant with more people and not feel strange either.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 10:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i think my new signature below nicely sums up my thoughts on the matter.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Since we're talking about strip malls, are there any plans to redevelop this Walgreens in Wicker Park? Not the beautiful historic one in the six intersections, the ugly strip mall one less than a mile away. 1372 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL 60622

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9070...7i16384!8i8192

You have this wonderful urban feel walking down Milwaukee then this ugly thing just kills the whole feeling. It looks abandoned. Also doesn't need to be there as I said there's already one a couple hundred feet northwest.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
I have found his office to be pretty pro-density, if still bowing to the protest-social-media-class

but I still think he is a dupe

I actually voted for the last alderman based on his very pro density tract record but he who was a slimball if there ever was one

now I like in Waguespack's ward and talk about anti-density you don't even hear about projects being proposed here. long live the SFH.
Name one large project he has approved.

He does not have a pro density track record because, like his mentor Carlos, he does not approve zoning changes. He has no track record at all because he believes inaction will preserve affordable housing...

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 2:49 AM

Irving Cicero 6 corners

Feb 2

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development