HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 5:50 PM
E pluribus unum

Help me understand who gets to be the arbiter of determining value and quality of life past a certain age and why they're qualified to make that call for everyone else?

I know insurance actuarial risks play a factor but beyond that?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 6:03 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Not at 65. Maybe at 75 though.

Do you want to hobble around with a walker?
Sounds like if you don't look and feel 35 at 65 then life is over. You're in for a rude awakening because you can be The Rock at 50 and you're still not going to be 35. I guarantee you when the cameras aren't rolling, his ass is popping the ibuprofen. lol

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Help me understand who gets to be the arbiter of determining value and quality of life past a certain age and why they're qualified to make that call for everyone else?

I know insurance actuarial risks play a factor but beyond that?
Oh it’s entirely subjective. There are plenty of people who are much younger, in their 40s and 50s, who don’t live lives that I would consider worth living - but that’s their choice. If you’re a coach potato then I suppose not much changes with old age.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 7:12 PM

My husband's Grandmother turned 92 a couple weeks ago. She insisted on Chinese food for dinner, and See's candy for dessert (no cake, thanks!). She has a circle of friends who regularly visit (mostly extended family and friends from her church). She is sharp as a tack--with a better memory than people half her age--and still reads a lot. Her sense of humor is surprisingly salty for such a gracious lady--she blurted out that she was thinking about buying a vibrator from a shopping catalogue, which is as ridiculous as it is reassuring that she's still enjoying life. The look on her youngest son's face was just priceless. He's such a square, and she always teases him like that.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 7:56 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I agree that a full life doesn’t mean a long life. There are people who fit much more living into 60 years than those who live until 90. That’s exactly my point.

And 70ish may or may not be old. For my father it’s pretty old, but he’s been “old” since his early 60s. Others are sailing or running at least half marathons at that age. But most people continue to live well beyond the point, at whatever age it comes, that they cease truly living, because the medical field is focused on prolonging life at any cost.

The indicative measure I’ve taken to telling people is that I don’t want to live much past the point when I can properly ski (on challenging slopes, not the bunny hill). It’s not about skiing per se, but about having the physical capacity to be active, and it’s a real sport (i.e., not golf) that people can do in old age. When the time comes that I’m just not physically capable of that any more, just let me say my goodbyes.
I have a friend who is 75 and still skis probably better then 80% of the people on the slopes. Just not better than me at 51. My nephew's friend had a very bad ski accident at 18 and will never ski again.

And your brain changes and adapts as you age and with what life throws at you. You think now you can't live without skiing but that likely will change if you find you can't do it anymore. This is why people in terrible accidents who may now suffer from a handicap generally most often become happy and content again in their new reality. Their brain adapts.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Sounds like if you don't look and feel 35 at 65 then life is over. You're in for a rude awakening because you can be The Rock at 50 and you're still not going to be 35. I guarantee you when the cameras aren't rolling, his ass is popping the ibuprofen. lol
You’re not making a strong case for old age.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
this virus is not killing young, or even middle-aged people, barring some serious underlying condition
This isn't true. The virus has killed people without underlying conditions at every age group. Yes, it's less lethal for younger than older. Yes, you're more likely than not to survive it at any age. But the risk is not zero at any age group or physical condition.

Also... Keep in mind that the virus has disproportionately infected adults, especially in the U.S., and most likely this is because schools were closed for a year. I don't think we have a good idea of what the virus looks like burning through large cross section of the under 18 population.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 9:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Also... Keep in mind that the virus has disproportionately infected adults, especially in the U.S., and most likely this is because schools were closed for a year. I don't think we have a good idea of what the virus looks like burning through large cross section of the under 18 population.
Yeah we don't know that, so I wouldn't say that the virus has disproportionately infected adults. It's entirely probably that it has infected kids at the same rate, but they don't have symptoms and therefore they haven't been tested to the same degree as adults.

Kids haven't been tested because they haven't been doing things (going to school) that adults did during the pandemic (work related travel, work mandates, jobs site requirements etc).

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
Yeah we don't know that, so I wouldn't say that the virus has disproportionately infected adults. It's entirely probably that it has infected kids at the same rate, but they don't have symptoms and therefore they haven't been tested to the same degree as adults.

Kids haven't been tested because they haven't been doing things (going to school) that adults did during the pandemic (work related travel, work mandates, jobs site requirements etc).
It's possible that children were infected at the same rate as adults. But it's likely that they weren't. Either way, we don't have nearly the same amount of data for how children respond to the virus that we do for adults.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 9:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's possible that children were infected at the same rate as adults. But it's likely that they weren't. Either way, we don't have nearly the same amount of data for how children respond to the virus that we do for adults.
Why do you think it's unlikely.

Infected adults go home (indoor setting), help their kids with homework (no social distancing), feed them (some breast feed), drive their friends around, watch tv together, tuck them into bed.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Why do you think it's unlikely.

Infected adults go home (indoor setting), help their kids with homework (no social distancing), feed them (some breast feed), drive their friends around, watch tv together, tuck them into bed.
Was the population of adults that were infected early on likely to be in the same household as kids? The early pandemic disproportionately affected people that lived in communal settings like nursing homes, prisons, halfway houses, etc. You wouldn't find a lot of kids in those settings. And since kids were sent home from school, they didn't have a lot of interaction with the general public, either. So, it doesn't seem likely to me at all that kids were exposed to the same degree as adults.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 10:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Was the population of adults that were infected early on likely to be in the same household as kids? The early pandemic disproportionately affected people that lived in communal settings like nursing homes, prisons, halfway houses, etc. You wouldn't find a lot of kids in those settings. And since kids were sent home from school, they didn't have a lot of interaction with the general public, either. It doesn't seem likely at all that kids were exposed to the same degree as adults.
Early on? Did you just move the goal posts?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Early on? Did you just move the goal posts?
We're talking about whether kids were exposed to the same degree as adults. So of course it matters that they weren't in a situation to be exposed to the same degree as adults for an extended period of time.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 10:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
We're talking about whether kids were exposed to the same degree as adults. So of course it matters that they weren't in a situation to be exposed to the same degree as adults for an extended period of time.
Again, you don't know, we don't know.

However, you've come to a conclusion that kids haven't been exposed and infected to the same degree that adults have.

Maybe, maybe not because we don't know. And we don't know because this particular disease hits older people much harder than it does kids.

331 deaths out of 75 million kids in America. All other deaths in the same age group is around 49,000.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 10:55 PM
The City

I now change the channel immediately whenever any news network talks about Covid (don’t feed the troll, after all).

No better term applies than “toxic” and “manipulative” when evaluating the media’s treatment of this disease

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Again, you don't know, we don't know.

However, you've come to a conclusion that kids haven't been exposed and infected to the same degree that adults have.

Maybe, maybe not because we don't know. And we don't know because this particular disease hits older people much harder than it does kids.
So what's the responsible course of action if we don't know how it affects kids? Throw them out there and see what happens?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 11:01 PM
The City

Quote:
So what's the responsible course of action if we don't know how it affects kids? Throw them out there and see what happens?
What do you mean when you say “throw them out there”?

Do you have children?

What else are children to do but experience the world around them? Are we to lock them in their homes?

My two nephews had Covid like millions of others. Cough cough, fever, sick for a few days, then normal. It’s called life you germaphobic buffoon..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 11:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
We do have a good idea what happens, so yes, let's throw them out there to a classroom to learn math in person (lol) and see what happens.

All of these kids have been swapping spit with each other no matter if the schools are closed or not. Well maybe not the nerdy kids that won't get it in until they're 30, but you get my point.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
What do you mean when you say “throw them out there”?

Do you have children?

What else are children to do but experience the world around them? Are we to lock them in their homes?

My two nephews had Covid like millions of others. Cough cough, fever, sick for a few days, then normal. It’s called life you germaphobic buffoon..

Why would you say that?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
You have no idea what I can understand
I do because I've posted the tables and you keep saying something different.

For Americans, here it is again. At 80, for example, your life expectancy isn't 1 year or even a couple--it's over 8. It doesn't get below 2 years until you are 102 for men or 104 for women.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions