HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 8:17 PM

Austin | CitizenM Hotel (617 Colorado) | 204 Feet | 16 Floors | Complete

This should be tall. The site is a 1/4 block next to One American Center at 7th & Colorado. From Streetview:

A site plan was filed for AULCC. But there are no elevations.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/AULCC_2020/200130/

Here are the parties involved from the site plan:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Jun 15, 2022 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 8:30 PM

CitizenM only has three hotels in the U.S.: New York, Boston and Seattle. Here's the CitizenM Hotels website:

https://www.citizenm.com/destinations

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:11 PM

Wow! This area is really popping. Between the Hyatt, Indeed, BBVA, 6 and Guad, the building in that old theater on 7th behind 300 W 6th, that is LOT of cranes in a few square blocks.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:19 PM

The developer is NYC based Turnbridge RE Fund Management. Their other current Austin projects according to their website are Music Lane and State House.

Last edited by The ATX; Jan 24, 2020 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:21 PM

I've been wondering about this block every time I walk past it downtown. Glad to see there are eyes on it!!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:41 PM

Citizen M is another brand (like tommie) that focuses on much smaller room sizes and very Millenial and Gen Z focused amenities. But also very impressive that Austin's a target, after NYC, Boston, and Seattle.

According to their website, room counts vary between 250 and 300 (micro) units; there's minimal meeting space, and what looks like a communal bar/restaurant/market thingy in the lobby.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:42 PM

This article explains CitizenM's brand, which are 'affordable luxury' modular hotels. The rooms are built individually off-site and stacked up at the final location to create the hotel, lego-style. Pictures from the article.
https://seattle.curbed.com/2018/10/2...-union-seattle

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:43 PM

Their Twitter feed states that they are working with Magellan on a new hotel in Chicago as well.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:48 PM

Oh cool! Nice catch -- the modular thing is all the rage these days in hotel land. Marriott's supposed to be moving in that direction. And where Marriott goes, so goes the industry.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 10:08 PM
Member since 2001

Very cool hotel. However, it's not my cup of tea. Quite tiny rooms. As previously mentioned, they are pre-made, modular accommodations. Thus, even at 200 rooms, I don't think this will be as tall as one might assume due to the size of the site.

Hope I am wrong...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 10:43 PM

Modular hotel rooms have been around for a while. The Hilton Palacio del Rio in San Antonio was built with modular rooms way back in 1968 in a rush to get it built in time for the "World's Fair" held in the city that year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilton_Palacio_del_Rio

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:58 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Modular hotel rooms have been around for a while. The Hilton Palacio del Rio in San Antonio was built with modular rooms way back in 1968 in a rush to get it built in time for the "World's Fair" held in the city that year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilton_Palacio_del_Rio
True. However, the rooms at the Hilton are significantly larger than the ones proposed for CitizenM.

Furthermore, the Hilton's modulars were built offsite - In San Antonio. CitizenM's will be trucked-in from somewhere outside of Texas, I believe.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:47 PM

Weird... it will be like cramming yourself in a budget cruise ship room, but in a high rise.

To each their own...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Weird... it will be like cramming yourself in a budget cruise ship room, but in a high rise.

To each their own...
I know that when I travel somewhere, I'm hardly ever in my room. I use it only to sleep and shower. I'm usually out and about somewhere. So the size of the room really makes little difference to me. I have no desire to pay extra for a larger room that I won't be spending any time in.

There are plenty other clientele like me. I imagine the margins for these smaller rooms are better too.

Anyway, this is a great use of the tiny little parking lot it's going to replace.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:18 PM

Quote:

To each their own...
I don't have any experience with this hotel brand, but I do know that efficiency of space matters. Compare a 2/2 condo at the 360, to a 2/2 at the Spring. The Spring's are around 150 sq/ft smaller, but honestly feel the same size just because of the layout. If they can design a hotel room without any wasted space, etc., then it could end up being perfectly fine with much smaller rooms.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I know that when I travel somewhere, I'm hardly ever in my room. I use it only to sleep and shower. I'm usually out and about somewhere. So the size of the room really makes little difference to me. I have no desire to pay extra for a larger room that I won't be spending any time in.

There are plenty other clientele like me. I imagine the margins for these smaller rooms are better too.
Yep, you're not alone, by far. Big change in how travelers use and view their hotel.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:55 PM

Really depends on what town I'm staying in. I was in a hotel in a small town in Ohio for instance. Cold rainy and boring. Went back and forth between the hotel bar and my room. I guess that's when size matters. When I was in London, I was hardly ever in my room, size in that case didn't matter, ect...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post

Anyway, this is a great use of the tiny little parking lot it's going to replace.
Same! For me, I feel like a large hotel room is only important if I'm going to have guests over to hang out before we go off and do something. Otherwise, I don't care about size - as long as it's relatively nice, modern and kept up, I'll take a smaller room.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:40 AM

I guess none of you all have traveled for business on extended stays.
It's great that some people don't mind a tiny space, I just wish it wouldn't screw up the curve for what generally would be considered a "normal" sized room or apartment for the rest of us who value space, regardless of how much time is spent there.

Once that gets accepted, then that's the new floor and prices get adjusted accordingly. Now the rest of us are paying extra for things that used to be standard.

Getting off topic, and I apologize for that. Just not a fan of "tiny" anything.
Tiny hotel rooms, micro apartments, etc, etc...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:54 AM

Quote:
I guess none of you all have traveled for business on extended stays.
It's great that some people don't mind a tiny space, I just wish it wouldn't screw up the curve for what generally would be considered a "normal" sized room or apartment for the rest of us who value space, regardless of how much time is spent there.

Once that gets accepted, then that's the new floor and prices get adjusted accordingly. Now the rest of us are paying extra for things that used to be standard.

Getting off topic, and I apologize for that. Just not a fan of "tiny" anything.
Tiny hotel rooms, micro apartments, etc, etc...
I think there is and will be plenty of room for both preferences in the hotel market.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin