HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 4:10 AM

Fast-growing Austin-area motor maker Infinitum Electric looks to jump into EV market

https://www.statesman.com/story/busi...et/9826247002/

Round Rock-based motor company Infinitum Electric is expanding as it steps up production and breaks into the electric vehicle business.

The company is growing its footprint and workforce on the back of an $80 million funding round, which it announced this week. The financial infusion brings the company's funding to date to $135 million.

Infinitum Electric was founded in 2016 in Austin by CEO Ben Schuler and moved to Round Rock in 2019. The motors include circuit boards that cut down on some of the costly equipment required in traditional motors, making Infinitum’s motors more efficient, smaller and quieter than traditional motors, according to the company.

Schuler said electric motors consume more than half of the world’s electricity each year, and are increasing with about 800 million motors sold worldwide each year, a number that has grown by about 10% each year.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:19 PM

Samsung may go even bigger in Austin area

Tech giant tips its hand with applications for more tax incentives from Taylor, Manor school districts

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...its-scope.html

By Justin Sayers – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
May 21, 2022

Six months after announcing what was then billed as the largest direct foreign investment in Texas history, Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. is laying the groundwork for more potential expansion in the Austin area.

The South Korean tech giant — which last year pledged to build a $17 billion next-generation fabrication plant in the small town of Taylor, and has had a presence in North Austin for decades — may build even more in Central Texas, possibly bringing billions more dollars and hundreds more jobs to the region.

That's according to documents filed May 21 with both the Taylor and Manor school districts that indicate Samsung is seeking additional Chapter 313 incentives, which provide tax breaks to large factories. Trustees for each school district are scheduled to separately discuss the applications on May 24.

“While we do not have specific plans to build at this time, the Chapter 313 application process is part of our long-term planning to evaluate the viability of potentially building additional fabrication plants in the U.S.," said Michele Glaze, director of communications at Samsung Austin Semiconductor LLC.

The meeting agendas posted over the weekend (go here for Taylor ISD, go here for Manor ISD) did not contain specifics on the scope of possible expansion. But both school boards will consider multiple agreements with Samsung Austin Semiconductor LLC, the company's local subsidiary.

The locations of the potential expansions haven't been disclosed but likely contenders seem to be the roughly 1,200 acres it had previously selected for its Taylor fab and its massive chipmaking campus off East Parmer Lane in Austin, which operates around the clock and is within the boundaries of the Manor school district.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 8:30 PM

Samsung Spills Toxic Water, Wins Texas Environmental Prize

As state regulators investigate its Austin plant, the governor praised the company for “protecting our state’s natural resources.”

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-po...nmental-award/

While a roomful of diners polished off their cheesecakes during a gala banquet inside the Austin Convention Center earlier this month, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality handed out its annual top honors—the Governor’s Texas Environmental Excellence Awards. In a recorded video, Governor Greg Abbott praised the winners, in nine categories, for giving “their time, their talent, their treasure to the high calling of protecting our state’s natural resources.”

Among the honorees was Samsung Electronics, recognized for an innovative wastewater management program at its Austin semiconductor manufacturing plant. The South Korean conglomerate had devised a way to remove copper from the facility’s wastewater stream. The new filtration system reduces both the volume of sludge Samsung sends to landfills and the chemicals required to treat the wastewater. What’s more, the company now makes $35,000 a year reselling recovered copper.

Left unsaid during the awards ceremony was the fact that TCEQ, the state’s environmental regulator, was actively investigating Samsung because of a wastewater discharge last year that turned a neighboring creek the shade of orange Gatorade. The results of the investigation have not yet been released.

Texas isn’t known for its heavy-handed environmental regulations. Just this week, Abbott promised to ensure that the state remained a top destination for companies by cutting taxes and “rolling back unnecessary regulations.” But, even for Texas, giving an award to a company for wastewater innovation while simultaneously investigating the same company for its wastewater spills reeks of cognitive dissonance.

“It is certainly a stain on the award for Samsung to be investigated for unauthorized wastewater discharge,” said Gina S. Warren, codirector of the Environment, Energy & Natural Resources Center at the University of Houston Law Center. “It doesn’t on its face rise to a conflict of interest, but it doesn’t look great.”

What message does it send to TCEQ investigators determining whether Samsung deserves a penalty to watch the agency’s three commissioners shake hands with Samsung officials and congratulate them at a fancy banquet?

It is as if Texas is saying: Come to Texas! Bring your investment dollars and jobs! And if you leak a bunch of acid, turning a creek orange, you can still win an environmental award! Is this the message Texas wants to be sending? Apparently so.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 10:57 PM

The Austin housing market won't quit, it keeps setting records. Here's why.

https://www.statesman.com/story/busi...me/9891929002/

The Austin area's housing market is a story that just won't quit.

If you've been following the American-Statesman's coverage — or trying to buy a home — you're familiar with the factors that have turned the area into an extreme sellers market: Swift population growth, including high-wage workers who are moving to the area with the ability to outbid many local buyers, and builders unable to keep up with demand for new housing.

The result has been a market where demand is far outpacing supply, which has sent housing prices to record levels. There are starting to be signs that things could slow down a bit — rising mortgage interest rates and home prices reaching a point where many buyers are being priced out of the market — but housing analysts say even a slightly cooler Austin market is still pretty darn hot.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 1:59 PM

Samsung approved to submit 11 incentives applications in Manor, Taylor

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...manor-isd.html

May 25, 2022

..."While the company did not reveal the scope and size of the potential projects, including capital investment and job totals, the type of incentives sought by the company signify major potential expansion – and additional fabs – both at the Taylor site and at their long-occupied location in North Austin, possibly bringing billions more dollars and hundreds more jobs to the region."

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 5:53 PM

Popular San Antonio restaurant Stout's Pizza Co. adds first Austin location

https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/ar...n-17192203.php

A San Antonio-based pizza joint is eyeing expansion. Stout's Pizza Co. is headed to Austin, the popular pizza and pasta restaurant's first location in the city.

The small chain, which first opened in San Antonio more than a decade ago, will sling pies in a building that includes a 1,200-square-foot outdoor patio at 1109 East Fifth Street. Directly across the street from expansive events space Fair Market, Stout's will compete for business with adjacent food spots like Chipotle, Hopdoddy Burger Bar, and Whole Foods.

Stout's will join fellow San Antonians Matt and Grady Wright on Fifth Street. The two brothers opened popular beer and coffee spot the Brew & Brew alongside co-owner Matthew Bolick down the block in 2013.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 2:23 PM
World Traveler

Round Rock Amazon warehouse project on pause as company explores capacity needs

Quote:
In October 2021, Community Impact Newspaper reported that Amazon had purchased a 193-acre property located at CR 172 and McNeil Road with the intent to build a warehouse and distribution center. Plans for the facility included $250 million in real property improvements, and it was expected to bring 800-1,200 jobs to the city.
https://communityimpact.com/austin/r...apacity-needs/

While the potential loss of jobs would be unfortunate, I can think of better things to do with that site. However, it would make sense to Amazon as a major distribution center given the proximity to major roads and a central location. I can see both sides. I know some folks who live in the area who won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen, however.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Round Rock Amazon warehouse project on pause as company explores capacity needs

https://communityimpact.com/austin/r...apacity-needs/

While the potential loss of jobs would be unfortunate, I can think of better things to do with that site. However, it would make sense to Amazon as a major distribution center given the proximity to major roads and a central location. I can see both sides. I know some folks who live in the area who won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen, however.
I doubt Amazon will sell the land. They'll just sit on it for a few years and wait until it makes sense to build.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 3:41 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I doubt Amazon will sell the land. They'll just sit on it for a few years and wait until it makes sense to build.
I tend to lean that way as well. Land is getting expensive and Austin is only going to grow, as will their needs in the area eventually.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 9:39 PM

Linde, global industrial gas company with $30B in revenue, considers Central Texas for project

Company already supplies Samsung in Korea

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...expansion.html

May 27, 2022

..."While the Taylor school board documents do not reveal the potential location, scope or size of a Linde project, the type of incentives sought by the company signify that a major facility could be in the works. In Phoenix, Linde is developing a $600 million plant to support a massive factory being built by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., Phoenix Business Journal reported."

This was interesting...

"But it marks the continued wave of semiconductor manufacturers and suppliers eyeing Central Texas. Samsung has reportedly begun construction on the Taylor site, but is also negotiation for an additional 11 applications through Chapter 313, suggesting it could build nine additional fabrication plants in Taylor, and two at its long-time site in North Austin."

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 9:56 PM

The 130 corridor strikes again.

It really can't be emphasized enough how crazy that whole area is going to be in a decade or so. Semiconductors, EVs, batteries, SpaceX stuff, industrial gases. All of it cutting edge manufacturing. Not a washing machine or TV set in sight.

Sometimes I'm just flat out amazed at Austin's good fortune.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 10:15 PM

I still posit that all these projects are too far away from Austin proper, and will result in way, way too much sprawl. I know we probably can't (and shouldn't try to) have a major semiconductor factory in the middle of the city, but I also think that places like Taylor or even Hutto are way out there.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
I still posit that all these projects are too far away from Austin proper, and will result in way, way too much sprawl. I know we probably can't (and shouldn't try to) have a major semiconductor factory in the middle of the city, but I also think that places like Taylor or even Hutto are way out there.
I think you're probably correct to a degree, but I also think we're really settling into the Austin-as-metroplex stage of the city's development, where these major economic nodes are scattered throughout the region. I mean, hell, we're even pulling Bastrop into our orbit with Boring and that movie studio project.

I will say I'm surprised that Samsung didn't just expand near their original location in Pflugerville. They seem to own a lot of land, and it's definitely closer in to the center of things than Hutto/Taylor.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 8:33 PM

On the city council agenda for June 9:

Quote:
AGENDA ITEM #73: This item proposes the voluntary full-purpose annexation of a 52.6-acre area of limited purpose jurisdiction in northwest Austin in the Robinson Ranch area in Council District 6. The subject property is off of Parmer Lane
adjacent to the newly constructed Apple, Inc. campus and is being annexed in connection with a proposed expansion of the adjacent Apple campus.
The area is subject to Planned Unit Development (PUD) Zoning of the Robinson Ranch PUD under Ordinance Number 040617-Z-12. The current use of the area is pastureland/agriculture
https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/do....cfm?id=384332

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 12:00 AM

State of Downtown Report 2022
The Emergence of the 18-Hour City

https://downtownaustin.com/state-of-...n-report-2022/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 12:16 AM

Samsung to start construction of Texas chip plant in June

Quote:
May 27th 2022

Construction of a new Samsung Electronics chip plant in Taylor, Texas will begin next month, according to the city government and the Korean chipmaker, marking the start of the $17-billion project.

The Taylor city government gave an update on the construction of the plant, which will cover 138 acres on a 1,000-acre plot of land in the city, in a recent newsletter.

“Underground utilities and building foundations are expected to start in June,” it said.

The government noted that site grading is almost complete and interior roads and parking lot paving is now underway.
https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com...173237482.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
State of Downtown Report 2022
The Emergence of the 18-Hour City

https://downtownaustin.com/state-of-...n-report-2022/
On page 40 it says that the first phase of Congress Ave reconstruction will be starting "soon". That's news to me. I haven't seen any plans or updates for that anywhere.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
On page 40 it says that the first phase of Congress Ave reconstruction will be starting "soon". That's news to me. I haven't seen any plans or updates for that anywhere.
The Congress Avenue Urban Design Initiative was completed in 2020 and funding for detailed design was included in the November 2020 bond.

https://www.austintexas.gov/page/congress-avenue

Interim safety improvements were implemented during the pandemic that help provide a proof of concept for the dedicated bike lanes on the bridge and avenue.

https://www.austintexas.gov/congress...ive%20identity.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
The Congress Avenue Urban Design Initiative was completed in 2020 and funding for detailed design was included in the November 2020 bond.

https://www.austintexas.gov/page/congress-avenue
I remember seeing this, but haven't seen any detailed design info. So I was surprised when the State of Downtown Report labeled as starting "soon"..

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 3:58 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I remember seeing this, but haven't seen any detailed design info. So I was surprised when the State of Downtown Report labeled as starting "soon"..
Probably taking some of the Lamar money and moving it to Congress since that is currently FUBAR

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin