HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 3:52 PM

Cool AUSTIN | 506 West Residential | 564 Feet | 48 Floors | Proposed

Here's a brand new project as far as I can tell. But Hut's may be threatened with this one, and I recall that being mentioned on here a while back. It's called 506 West in the latest AULCC update and West Avenue Apartments on the site plan. From the AULCC meeting notes:

Quote:
The location of the 506 West project is 506-508 West Avenue. It is two lots that each have existing buildings that will be removed and the site redeveloped as a 28 story mixed use building with associated parking, utilities and ancillary improvements.
AULCC website:
ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/.../171214/PLANS/

The location is between West Ave and Shoal Creek:

The site is more or less across the street from 5th & West. From Streetview:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Mar 8, 2022 at 7:21 PM. Reason: Added thread icon

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 4:02 PM

looks like Frank and Angies will go, but what makes you think Huts will go too? That would be a bummer. I think they are owned/operated by the same people.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 4:14 PM

That plot does not include Huts..... I would be chained to the door if that happened.
Frank and Angies is just a metal shed.
Huts.... our only Deco era diner. Can't let that go. Too much history and charm.
Damn..... If I could only win the lottery.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 4:36 PM
Meh

Yeah, that doesn't seem to include the Huts site, which is strange since it'll mean this building won't front 6th Street. If you look at the site plan up there, it shows a row of parking spaces in the bottom right corner. It shows them as being the boundary of the property line for the project. If you look at the site on Google maps, the Favorite Liquor and Wine store and Huts Hamburgers are outside of the boundary.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 4:42 PM

This project may actually help save Hut's from future development since it and the liquor store will be left on a relatively narrow strip of real estate.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 6:26 PM
Resident Moron

Irene's outdoor area is about to get a lot more shaded :p

I'm assuming Irene's is not part of the development?

Wouldn't mind the liquor store going

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 7:22 PM
Member since 2001

The developer will have some challenges with the heritage trees on the property.

Speaking of "the developer," any idea who it may be?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Irene's outdoor area is about to get a lot more shaded :p

I'm assuming Irene's is not part of the development?

Wouldn't mind the liquor store going
I believe Irene's is the building on the left side of that site plan. Would suck to see that one go but I wonder if they would save it as a buffer between the two buildings. I mean they need to leave some room between the new tower and the condos next door, and Irene's butts right up against those condos.

And I think there's some charm to that liquor store...continues the feel of 6th street in that area.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 12:04 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

28 floors. Could this be about the same height as the nearby Monarch (29 floors)?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I believe Irene's is the building on the left side of that site plan. Would suck to see that one go but I wonder if they would save it as a buffer between the two buildings. I mean they need to leave some room between the new tower and the condos next door, and Irene's butts right up against those condos.

And I think there's some charm to that liquor store...continues the feel of 6th street in that area.
It specifically says the existing buildings would be removed. Irene's and Frank & Angie's would both be gone.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 1:38 AM

I’ve been to Frank and Angie’s a couple times. That’s been there for awhile, right? And Irene’s would be a big loss... totally just revamped the place, looks great in that little niche crevice. Walk-up cafe, really funky bar. Record player, piano, weird decor... very Austin. Kind of a blend of the hipster vibe but yet it feels uniquely urban and classy too. I can’t fully remember what that was before but the restaurant group clearly put in a huge capital investment. I assume they just had a lease. Opened Memorial Day 2016... this one may have been on the table already (we’d heard the rumors regarding this site and maybe Huts). Kind of wish they had held off and incorporated this into the project. Would have made for great street interaction. This one will need to have restaurant/retail or else that stretch will be a dark tunnel between the Seaholm district and West 6th.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
I’ve been to Frank and Angie’s a couple times. That’s been there for awhile, right? And Irene’s would be a big loss... totally just revamped the place, looks great in that little niche crevice. Walk-up cafe, really funky bar. Record player, piano, weird decor... very Austin. Kind of a blend of the hipster vibe but yet it feels uniquely urban and classy too. I can’t fully remember what that was before but the restaurant group clearly put in a huge capital investment. I assume they just had a lease. Opened Memorial Day 2016... this one may have been on the table already (we’d heard the rumors regarding this site and maybe Huts). Kind of wish they had held off and incorporated this into the project. Would have made for great street interaction. This one will need to have restaurant/retail or else that stretch will be a dark tunnel between the Seaholm district and West 6th.
I seem to remember hearing they signed a 5yr lease at Irene's. ELM group is behind it. Agreed on it being a cool space.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 7:00 PM

It would be a very lucky moment for the folks in Austin City Lofts if Irene's stayed ;-)
A little breathing room.... at least the builders were smart enough to put a set back on the north side.!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 8:04 PM

X-posting Dcbrickley's post from the update thread. Frank & Angie's and Irene's were the two businesses affected by this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
Frank and Angie's is shutting down.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...own/1383057566

I was in Huts a few weeks ago, and overheard a couple people who work there discus that Huts too would eventually shut down, and that taxes coupled with the amazing offer they got, led them to close. She (I assumed she was the owner) mentioned they were tired and happy to travel and spend quality time with friends and family.

It seemed to me like it was going to a bit of time before they closed.....I would guess a year or 2.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:01 PM

KLBJ AM was reporting this morning that Hut's will be closing when their lease is up.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
KLBJ AM was reporting this morning that Hut's will be closing when their lease is up.
https://www.austinchronicle.com/dail...se-eventually/

Frank and Angie's will close, but rumors that Hut's will close are false.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 4:06 AM

KLBJ often gets facts wrong and run with it during their talk shows. I remember during the Memorial Day flood of 2015 they were reporting that Cheapo Records on Lamar had been badly damaged in the flood. Cheapo closed a few years earlier and the building was being used as a Goodwill at the time but they kept reporting it as Cheapo Records.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 4:32 AM
Meh

I've heard about the Huts rumor through those "remember when" Austin Facebook groups, but a lot of the info you see on there isn't too accurate. It's more emotionally driven distress and grumbling than delivery of actual tips. Those groups are rumor mills.

The unfortunate thing is that the talk of some of these places closing even when they aren't is bad for those businesses. Imagine owning a business and the word getting out, incorrectly, that your business is going to close.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 6:29 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

For a place like Hut's, it might actually cause an uptick in business. People that aren't regulars may want to grab one last Hut's burger before it's gone.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 7:26 AM

Towers sums up what we know so far and did a little detective work that connects this project to Riverside Resources.

https://austin.towers.net/lets-catch...al-tower-plan/

Last edited by The ATX; Aug 21, 2018 at 8:28 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin